ASL student with question about culture

smilingdaisy

Reaction score
I am an ASL student in college, and i am doing a research paper about the Deaf community. MY topic is about the subcultures/minorities within the Deaf Community. I am having trouble finding this information so I thought maybe someone could help. I just keep finding how the Deaf community is the "minority" in America. I really find the Deaf culture really interesting, and would like to learn more about this topic. can anyone help?

What sort of minorities within the minority are you looking for? I'm Jewish, and have lots of links I could pass on to you on being both Deaf & Jewish if that would help? There are definately 'minority within a minority' issues there!

I'd also look at other religious, ethnic, disability minority groups within the deaf community, also sexual orientation, and how about things like people's interest groups - sometimes that can become almost a subculture if it's far from the usual, and of course where people fall on the scale of opinions regarding communication methods, that one sure divides people sometimes! :lol:

You could write maybe about hearing people who are considered part of the Deaf community. Or maybe about hard of hearing people who have learned ASL and who are part of the Deaf community even though they are not considered what most people consider deaf. Or Deaf-Blind people who have both vision and hearing loss.

Good luck with your project! :)

I agree!

You can also write about how the deaf and hard of hearing were treated along time ago.
They though the handcapped, even the deaf were "Frecks".
I'm Jewish, like Honeyshot,and I know what its like to be picked on.
Good luck with your paper!
Margie
Dir. of Communication Services
OCDAC

i didn't even think about the hearing people involved in the Deaf community. i think that would be a good topic because the hearing people are definetly the minority in the Deaf community. do you know many hearing people within the deaf community around you? i sure could use an interview if you wouldn't mind. or if you have ideas of where i could get more info. i appreciate all the help.

I have a question concerning the suggested topic of hearing people who are involved with the deaf community. Who do you think would fall under this category? Interpreters? Family and friends of deaf people? Case workers? T-Mobile Customer Service Reps?

If you need to interview someone hearing in the deaf community, Id love to help. Im a hearing mom of two deaf sons.

Cental,
Hearing parents of deaf children... Those of us who actively participate anyways :wiggle:

katt.

I would love to interview you DeafKattMom. what has it been like having two deaf children? have you been pretty excepted among other Deaf families? to be honest these are just a few questions. i dont really know what to ask. um...i would just like to know how your whole experience has been with your children, what their experience has been like, just whatever you would like to tell me. If you want you can email your response to smilingdaisy18@hotmail.com. if anyone else has any thoughts or anything to share you can do the same. i really appreciate the input i have been receiving here. :angel:

ok, i think im changing my topic once again. i think i want to do it on the HOH people in the Deaf community, and how they are accepted/or not. any thoughts on the subject? i hope i am not bothering everyone with all my questions. i really am interested in the Deaf culture, and would like to do good on my paper, but let me know if i am being a slight pest. :D

Margie said:
I'm Jewish, like Honeyshot,and I know what its like to be picked on.

Margie, could you please elaborate on this one. I've heard that Deaf, Black Women get picked on the most. Do you think that Deaf, Jewish Women have it worse? I'm intrigued. We all can be educated here.

I think we all have been picked on at one time or another.....

smilingdaisy said:
.... but let me know if i am being a slight pest. :D

Yes, you are being a royal pain in the you-know-what.
(JUST KIDDING!)
Thought I would stir the pot a bit and see what happens.....

Back