ASL student looking for some practice

thorshauk

Reaction score
ASL has always interested me since I was little and I took my first class this past semester. It was fantastic. I'm going into the interpreter program this fall. My next class is starting next week. I want to practice my signing with someone. I don't really know anyone else who knows how to sign and I'm rather nervous about going to the deaf events around me. And you guys seem nice, so I thought I would ask.

I don't know a lot of signing. Since my classes are called Basic ASL, but I think I've got enough to hold a rather ... basic? conversation.

I have skype and a webcam.

EDIT:
Woops, sorry.
I'm 19 and hearing. My grandmom is deaf in one ear (due to surgery or something and it happened when she was 50 or something). The only interaction I've had with the deaf community is one event that happened at my college.

Last edited:
ASL has always interested me since I was little and I took my first class this past semester. It was fantastic. I'm going into the interpreter program this fall. My next class is starting next week. I want to practice my signing with someone. I don't really know anyone else who knows how to sign and I'm rather nervous about going to the deaf events around me. And you guys seem nice, so I thought I would ask.

I don't know a lot of signing. Since my classes are called Basic ASL, but I think I've got enough to hold a rather ... basic? conversation.

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yo...iews-questions-surveys-please-read-first.html

All members (not the OP and does not know better) should obey this official instruction from the moderating team.

I'm rather nervous about going to the deaf events around me.
You need to get over that because it will be the best way for you to really learn ASL. I wish I could attend more cultural events, but between a full-time job, part-time school, and a family, I simply don't have the time, and I know it is preventing me from becoming as proficient as I'd like. I do attend a Deaf church several times a month which is great, but I need more exposure.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Sprint:PPC6800)

IF ANYONE LIVES IN SO CAL MAYBE CAN HELP ME GET BETTER WITH MY SIGN LANG, LET ME KNOW....

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Sprint:PPC6800)

IF ANYONE LIVES IN SO CAL MAYBE CAN HELP ME GET BETTER WITH MY SIGN LANG, LET ME KNOW....

Can you please not use all caps - it is hard on the eyes and is considered shouting.

maybe a Mod should make a forum specifically for people looking to practice?? give people who do want to practice somewhere to post??
*EQL*

I'm in the same boat as thorshauk. Worse yet, I have never attended a school that taught ASL, so everything I know about ASL I've had to teach myself. I'd love to chat with someone online in ASL to practice so I could have some more confidence when I go to Deaf coffees and the like. The past few times I went they signed so quickly with each other I couldn't keep up at all.
Also, what requirements for a webcam would you recommend if you want to do ASL over it? I'd imagine some of the lower quality ones would have too slow framespeed to make ASL legible.
Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as thorshauk. Worse yet, I have never attended a school that taught ASL, so everything I know about ASL I've had to teach myself. I'd love to chat with someone online in ASL to practice so I could have some more confidence when I go to Deaf coffees and the like. The past few times I went they signed so quickly with each other I couldn't keep up at all.
Also, what requirements for a webcam would you recommend if you want to do ASL over it? I'd imagine some of the lower quality ones would have too slow framespeed to make ASL legible.
Thanks!

ASL is a language of its own; it cannot be self-taught. That's like trying to teach yourself Chinese. If you wish to become proficient in ASL, you need to be taught by one who is qualified to do so.

You are totally correct, DeafPhd. Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm a graduating senior in college who has never been able to take ASL at school. I just got a job that involves a lot of travel, so I won't be stationary enough to take a course at a local university or something. I had been using this website (ASL - American Sign Language) and a few ASL books to teach myself here and there, but you're right. Without a structured curriculum or a real person to help me, I haven't learned very much at all. Can you recommend some way for me to become proficient with ASL?
Thanks for your help. :)

EDIT:
Woops, sorry.
I'm 19 and hearing. My grandmom is deaf in one ear (due to surgery or something and it happened when she was 50 or something). The only interaction I've had with the deaf community is one event that happened at my college.
Hey there student.... Check Google for Deaf chat or ASL classes in MeetUp.com. I started an ASL MeetUp group here in San Antonio for people who wanted to learn ASL, and time/$$$ wise couldn't go to school. We've learned a lot together and made many friends.

By starting up the group, others, deaf and hearing, joined and worked with us. Together we went as a group to a deaf play, "Children of a Lesser God", and joined the local DeafChat at Starbucks. I've met a lot of people there, the DHOH are very helpful and most of them don't mind helping you learn. So it is a great way to introduce yourself to the deaf community. Give it a try and see what you can do.

You could also start up your own MeetUp group! Also, check DeafChat for locations hosting get-togethers. Good luck!

Last edited:
You are totally correct, DeafPhd. Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm a graduating senior in college who has never been able to take ASL at school. I just got a job that involves a lot of travel, so I won't be stationary enough to take a course at a local university or something. I had been using this website (ASL - American Sign Language) and a few ASL books to teach myself here and there, but you're right. Without a structured curriculum or a real person to help me, I haven't learned very much at all. Can you recommend some way for me to become proficient with ASL?
Thanks for your help. :)
MDVance; I started out with deaf instructors at a community college. After relocating, I found American Sign Language What I love about this site, is you learn culture along with the signs. Dr. Bill Vicars is deaf, and there are many videos to show you the signs. His curriculum is structured and it is free. This is a great site - much better than any books I've purchased - you almost feel like you are communicating directly with him. Check it out and see what you think.

Back