ASL student looking for help...

kg2789

Reaction score
I'm a student in ASL II in college. And one of our tasks is to translate a song into ASL. I'm still learning, and I'm not quite sure of the right words to use when translating the song. I've chosen to translate "Heartbreak Warfare" by John Mayer. If anyone could help me translate this song into ASL, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I can't help you there but if you decide to do another song my favorite song is "Light My fire" by the doors...short and awesome...#1 hit in the summer of 1967

Can you show a video and sign at the same time...I would love you see you do that song (video from the ed sullivan show)

Unfortunately you're not going to get anyone here to help you do your homework. Ya gotta do that yourself. :) But I'd love to see a video after you've finished. :)

I agree with Hutt.. The reason it was assigned to you is for you to learn how to put the song into how you interpret it.. I hope you dont think we are harsh by saying do it yourself. I too would love to see what you come up with ;)

Thanks, you have a point. I never realized how difficult it is to try and translate a song. I did one last semester in ASL I. I did Michael Jackson's "We Are The World." It was rather easy, but it took me a while to figure out what the right words were and the right way to word them. I've gotten the first verse of the song done, as well as working on another song too. I'm not sure which is going to be easier. But, I've been looking for the shortest, slowest songs possible.

Thanks, you have a point. I never realized how difficult it is to try and translate a song. I did one last semester in ASL I. I did Michael Jackson's "We Are The World." It was rather easy, but it took me a while to figure out what the right words were and the right way to word them. I've gotten the first verse of the song done, as well as working on another song too. I'm not sure which is going to be easier. But, I've been looking for the shortest, slowest songs possible.

In class, you might be getting ahead... Smart.

Real life application -- Taking a short cut is not the best way to do things. Which do you prefer, a Doctor who scored a C in his academics or an A?

I'm ahead of a lot of people in my class. We have to do observation hours, interacting with the Deaf community. I've found numerous places to interact, just I'm still rather shy because I feel like my signing isn't up to par like I'd wish it was. I practice a lot, but I still feel like it's not enough sometimes.

This assignment in class is racking my brain to figure out what to do. I've got a few songs I'm looking at to see which is easier. But, so far, they're all kind of hard to me at the moment.

I'm in ASL 2 and we have to do a song as well. I think it will be fun and have already started glossing my song out. I'm doing "fishing in the dark" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. It will be interesting to see how people's personality come's out in their song selection.

I'm in ASL 2 and we have to do a song as well. I think it will be fun and have already started glossing my song out. I'm doing "fishing in the dark" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. It will be interesting to see how people's personality come out in their song selection.

Ooooh! I love that song! :dance2:

I've got three I've picked...... But not quite sure of which one to do yet.

"Heartbreak Warfare" by John Mayer
"Rocketship" by Shiny Toy Guns
"Boats and Birds" by Gregory and the Hawk

I'm just confuuuused! I've got the first verse of each translated to ASL GLOSS but, I'm not sure if my word order is correct. So, I'll have to ask my teacher maybe?

I can offer a tip: Don't try to do a word-by-word translation. The object isn't necessarily to translate it from English to ASL. It is more like translating it from hearing to Deaf.

Take the concept of each verse and make it visual. ASL has the advantage of using 3D space and being beautifully visual. Take advantage of it as much as you can and try to express the concept in ASL, not each word. Try to separate the two in your mind.

For examples you can watch ASL songs on Youtube. It might give you some inspiration.

Edit: Oops, I type too slow. Do you have a textbook to learn to gloss? (If so, is it green?)

I've seen a lot of the videos on youtube. I especially love Stephen's song of "Party in the USA".... He's given me a lot of advice.

When I translated "We are the world" by Michael Jackson last semester, I didn't do it word for word. I didn't practice a lot during my break between semesters, which I shun myself for because now I'm rusty and I can't think like I use to.

Ooooh! I love that song! :dance2:

I'm the odd man out in class (literally because its 25 girls and 3 other guys in class) being the country boy. I figured I'd do a country song that everyone will like. I dont know 1 person who doesnt like "Fishing in the dark".

I can offer a tip: Don't try to do a word-by-word translation. The object isn't necessarily to translate it from English to ASL. It is more like translating it from hearing to Deaf.

50% of the grade for our song performance is conceptual accuracy. So making sure the translation is correct is HUGE!

I'm the odd duck in my class. I'm the hyper one, and I've always make people laugh. The rest of my class is older folks, and seems like their just grumpy all the time. I like to have fun. So I think I'm going to do "Rocketship" by Shiny Toy Guns because it's energetic and just simply fun fun fun.

And you're right, I don't know anyone who doesn't like that song either!

But, with my teacher, she's very patient, and she knows everyone struggles. We have a girl in my class that has special needs, so she's not looking for perfection. She just asks that we give it all we've got.

I've seen a lot of the videos on youtube. I especially love Stephen's song of "Party in the USA".... He's given me a lot of advice.

When I translated "We are the world" by Michael Jackson last semester, I didn't do it word for word. I didn't practice a lot during my break between semesters, which I shun myself for because now I'm rusty and I can't think like I use to.

Have you viewed any of the songs done by st0rmfx? I get mesmerized watching his interpretations...Go check his videos out!!!

YouTube - st0rmfx's Channel

SO I just now finished translating "Rocketship" into ASL GLOSS, or at least I hope it's pretty close to what I'm thinking it should be. Hmmmm.

I've got three I've picked...... But not quite sure of which one to do yet.

"Heartbreak Warfare" by John Mayer
"Rocketship" by Shiny Toy Guns
"Boats and Birds" by Gregory and the Hawk
Sorry, I've never heard of those songs or groups. :dunno:

Back