ASL sign language DVD,for beginners

SeaStormy3

Reaction score
There are so many, but Im asking one of you, which is best for teaching sign language for slow paced beginners. My husband and my long lost son, needs to learn at slow pace and easier to learn. Pls Help?? I appreciate this. Thankx.

Attachments

• 852.gif
    852.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 50
  • tweetz3.gif
    tweetz3.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 47
  • FLASHLGT.gif
    FLASHLGT.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 3
  • firemen016.gif
    firemen016.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 4
I have this one set that's pretty decent, It's an 8 disc set for the MAC/PC called Instant Immersion: American Sign Language Deluxe by TOPICS Entertainment.
Here are some of the features:

Learn American Sign Language through a complete immersive program

Includes eight CD-ROMs with lessons on body and hand positioning, finger-spelling, signing pronouns and questions, ASL phrase syntax and more

Discover the history behind ASL

Review signs for everyday situations with more than 500 phrase entries arranged by subject, including work, travel, food and relationships

Watch more than 6,000 video entries to see how to properly sign

Reinforce your lessons by completing quizzes and playing games

You can pick this set up in the learning section of PC Software @ Best Buy for $39.99

The only thing I dont like about it is, the right CD has to be in the CD-ROM for you to view that section or lesson, other than that it's very informative, worth the money IMOA.

Sign Language CD (Which's the best??)

ThatGuy, gee, I need sign language Cd, I meant DVD. My son 's not very good with computer, yet, I dont wanna him using it, he ll just mess my best computer up. I need a dvd, that would teach sign language in slow pace for husband and son to learn slowly, over and over. Know where I can buy one online or somewhere?? Need the name of that also too. Thank you very much. (ThatGuy, I appreciate that a lot). Smiles.

Attachments

• tiphat2.gif
    tiphat2.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 43
  • sm117.gif
    sm117.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pftroest.gif
    pftroest.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 43
OK well if you're looking for a basic and rather cheap yet informative DVD/book combo, the first one I got was called The Complete Idiot's Guide to Conversational Sign Language Illustrated (@Barnes and Noble it's under $20). That comes with a DVD and covers the very basics, fingerspelling, numbers, family, greetings, small talk, etc. It's specifically designed for hearies who are just starting out. Although it's not true ASL, it's more of a mix of PSE and ASL, but the book has some good features, and basically mirrors the DVD, so that you can study on the go with the book or at home with the DVD. Flip through the book in the store and see what you think first.
But here's the link
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=sz7Hz9aBne&isbn=1592572553&itm=1

So in the future I would really consider the ASL Deluxe series, since it teaches proper ASL grammar and structure, for when your husband and son are ready.

Oh and and you might want to have your husband pick this up
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=sz7Hz9aBne&isbn=055358474X&itm=5

it comes in very handy and seems to be the most recent publication. I carry mine everywhere with me.

Thats neet!

Hi That Guy,
We have beinging sign lanugage on VHS and DVD on our website,
www.deafadvocay.org
And we have alot for kids too.
Margie
Dir. Of Communciaton Services
OCDAC

I'm almost sure that The Bravo Family videos are out on DVD now, but I'm not sure about $$. The series at school is 16 or 17 VHS tapes. I tried to find it on Amazon and Barnes and Noble's websites, but came up empty.

ITPjohn said:
I'm almost sure that The Bravo Family videos are out on DVD now, but I'm not sure about $$. The series at school is 16 or 17 VHS tapes. I tried to find it on Amazon and Barnes and Noble's websites, but came up empty.

ITPjohn & Seastormy I found the link for you, you can buy the BRAVO Family series from this website

http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=36&osCsid=2442f7555fb99aaf86411c6d01e10106

Select Teaching Resources you'll see that each of the lessons run from about $49-$59 a lesson.

But you can also check out Margie's link too http://www.deafadvocacy.com/bookdvd.htm where you can buy some other beginners series from Amazon, but I've seen seen or reviewed any of those so I'm kinda in there dark there.

Thanks ThatGuy for the info.

SeaStormy, I was looking through the Harris Comm. catalog and found a series of three VHS tapes called You Can Sign for less than $100. The material is a condensed version of the Bravo Family series. Good luck.

Back