ASL- Rochester Style?

LawStudent

Reaction score

I have seen a few threads mention this, what does ASL- Rochester Style mean? Will someone please explain the difference for me please?

All fingerspelled sentences in English word order.

yup, back in the 70-80s, I heard rochester RSD way was all finger spelling for communication. Not sure where you got asl from?

The Rochester Method was developed in the late 1800's as a way to replace sign language, which was banished from oral-focus deaf schools. I wouldn't call it ASL. The only connection between the two is that they both use the same manual alphabet.

My old teacher who graduated from rochester. He sometimes did it on purposely to fingerspelling during the class time. LOL

Finger spelling

When I first became deaf and someone gave me an ASL Basic Signing Book I totally "freaked"...But in the back was a page containing the alphabet in finger spelling...so I copied it and taped it to my fridge. It helped me alot..
my brother , I know i have said this before, who is an accomplished musician, made a copy and could finger spell entire sentences with both hands at the same time..laughing...but at least I had some way to communicate since I felt totally lost. Then later I learned some ASL but since my brain injury have forgotten it all. had to start over ..sigh..so I finger spell and am slowly learning ASL again. My problem with retention is a major one now. UGH !
Midnight♥♥♥...
"suddenly, I'm just 1/2 the girl I used to be, there's this shadow
hanging over me, yesterday came suddenly." TY Fab4

Back