ASL Questions

MissyQ

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Melissa Quintero. I'm an ASL student at Crafton Hills College. I took ASL because I needed a language class. After completing ASL 1 I became extremely interested in learning more. I'm currently in ASL 2 and hope to take ASL 3 next semeter. In my class we have to interview a deaf person to find out their thoughts about certain issues.
If any of you are interested in helping me out it would be greatly appreciated.
If you want to know more about me feel free to ask away!

Thank you!
Melissa

Ah, another opportunity to educate!!

Please post your list of questions and several of us will answer!!

Many ASL students come here to interview Deaf members. I offer two suggestions: search recent postings here and in the New Member sections for some answers, and if you still need answers, post them here and members will generously answer them for you.

Many ASL students come here to interview Deaf members. I offer two suggestions: search recent postings here and in the New Member sections for some answers, and if you still need answers, post them here and members will generously answer them for you.

:lol: Oh, come on Doc! I love to start creatively from ground zero with each student.

They all deserve the full Deaf experience!!

I suppose we will have to disable Doc's warning alarm!:giggle:

Oh, she needs a hobby too! I will just have to count on getting the students who come in when Doc is working or unaware. :cool2:

Questions

thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.
If you don't feel comfortable answer some questions that's totally fine.
Here are a few questions...
Your name:
Where are you from:
Do you have any children:
Were you born deaf, if no how did you become deaf:
Is anyone else in your family deaf:
What does being deaf mean to you:
Describe your childhood experiences being deaf:
Do you view being deaf as a disability:

Your name:
Bottesini
Where are you from:
Iowa
Two
Born
Yes, Grandparents. My husband HOH
Heightened creativity in visual mediums.
Exactly like yours, except quieter.
No I do not.

Your name:
Kashveera
Where are you from:
Durban, Republic of South Africa
Not yet! :)
Born profoundly deaf
No, I'm the black sheep!
It's my passion, it's also my driving factor, being deaf means that I must try harder everytime, so that I can achieve. But, overall its a sheer positive thing, if you look at it from a different perspective!
Oh, I never had a childhood, maybe that explains why I am such a kid at heart, I studied right through my childhood, thats why I have an almost 100% speech ability. It's hard to make out I am deaf.
If I did, I will not be a graduate with 2 degrees, I would not be working in a hearing world. So absolutely not! No ways!

I hope that answers your questions!

Your name:
Deafteen90
Where are you from:
UK
No
Ototoxic drugs
no
What does being deaf mean to you: it makes me who i am
Describe your childhood experiences being deaf: had a great childhood, was included
no

Your name: Doc
Where are you from:Originally, Massachusetts. Now, Ohio
Do you have any children: about 2000, but they all go home with their parents after I take care of them
Were you born deaf, if no how did you become deaf:No, born hearing, lost it to autoimmune hearing loss last year
Is anyone else in your family deaf:No, but several are HOH
What does being deaf mean to you:It means I no longer have to listen to the incessant ranting of some co-workers; it means I've found a new family and community of people with similar life experiences, and it means a whole new set of challenges in communicating with impatient hearing people.
Describe your childhood experiences being deaf: n/a
Do you view being deaf as a disability:I believe my physical impairment is lack of hearing. My "disability" (handicap as stated by WHO) is the communication difficulty brought about by the hearing majority who have limited Deaf's access to telecommunications, vocation, avocation, and education by inaction and/or ignorance (but rarely, I believe, with malicious intent)

Thank you all for your input. This will help me greatly. I have one more question.
What are you thoughts about Cochlear implants?

Thank you all for your input. This will help me greatly. I have one more question.
What are you thoughts about Cochlear implants?

Wow....that isn't a simple question at all. I think people's opinions are as varied as humanly possible.

Check out:
The ASL-Cochlear Implant Community
Dr. DonG.’s Deafhood Discourses
DEAF WORLD AS EYE SEE IT
RLMDEAF: IT'S TIME FOR RADICAL NOTION!

For various ideas.

Some people think they are tools, some think they are a way for hearing people to stomp out Deaf culture, some think they are the way to "bring the deaf back into society", it depends on a person's experience and beliefs.

Good luck.

Back