ASL Question

Savvi

Reaction score
Well I have managed to really confuse myself. I can't ask to my ASL instructor until Sunday and I really need to understand this point so I can move on to the next lesson. My lesson is talking about basic sentence structure of object + subject+ verb and I understand that part. What is confusing me is adding time.

My book shows "Book yesterday I-give-you" and "Tomorrow I-give-her book". I thought time always came first, then object, subject, and verb, but it seems I have misunderstood something. What am I missing here? Are both of these orders acceptable and if so why is the structure of the second sentence arranged so the object is last? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
-is the object a physical object at the location you are speaking in?-

(is it a real book that is there opposed to an imaginary book or a book out-of-sight)

That might make a difference... ???

The general rule of ASL is time-topic-comment, or object-subject-verb, but sometimes short sentences don't follow this structure, especially in casual conversation. So there are a few possibilities:

The book is showing incorrect examples and you've misunderstood the intent
The book is showing acceptable variations in conversational sign
It's a legitimate error in the book

I'll simply put it like this: if you always sign time-topic-comment or subject-object-verb then it will never be considered wrong.

ASL isn't an exact science. Its a language and I bet that just as we speak english we don't speak 'proper' english. Using Ain't and such words, slang depending on were we live. Im sure Deaf have their own ways. I could be wrong but hey. If you need the answers for a test or something, God bless you! :(

Both are acceptable, which one you would choose to use would depend on the context of the conversation. If the object was the focus, I would put it first; if the time frame was the most important piece of information I would put that first. Basic example: If I was asked, "Book which? (What book are you talking about?), I would reply, "Book yesterday I-give-you. If I was asked, "Mary receive book when?" (When will you give Mary the book?), I would reply, "Tomorrow I-give-her book".

Mountain Man Journey

Thank you both for helping me to sort this out. I really appreciaate it. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have been sick since I asked this question. Much better now. Thanks again

I wonder is Yoda from Star Wars is an ASL user? If you listen to him speak, he often uses the Object-Subject-Verb order :giggle:

I wonder is Yoda from Star Wars is an ASL user? If you listen to him speak, he often uses the Object-Subject-Verb order :giggle:

I've often wondered if they used ASL as an inspiration for Yoda's way of talking.

Young Skywalker patience you must. Learn you will. ASL from the heart it is.

May the force be with you!

Back