ASL Question

dracotkk

Reaction score
Hey, Not sure which section this goes in, but I was wondering, due to since words can sometimes change over time. (ASL, and spoken english). I was wondering, since i will be gone for about 4 weeks, possibly with no/limited internet, Should i buy an ASL book.

There was an earlier conversation about how the sign for 'computer' has changed over the time it took for asl browser, and some books, and what it is now. I was wondering (dang, too much wondering) how 'correct' or 'accurate' the information in a book, (possibly 1-4years old), would be, to signs today... Should i even bother getting an actual copy of a book since a sign or two might be outdated?

Dang, i'm ranting too much... Anyway, would buying a book (basically an ASL dictionary) be accurate enough to where i would be able to rely on the signs given in the book?

P.S. (sorry for the clutter, and the 'i am wondering'*times infinity*)

Matt Jones

dracotkk said:
Hey, Not sure which section this goes in, but I was wondering, due to since words can sometimes change over time. (ASL, and spoken english). I was wondering, since i will be gone for about 4 weeks, possibly with no/limited internet, Should i buy an ASL book.

There was an earlier conversation about how the sign for 'computer' has changed over the time it took for asl browser, and some books, and what it is now. I was wondering (dang, too much wondering) how 'correct' or 'accurate' the information in a book, (possibly 1-4years old), would be, to signs today... Should i even bother getting an actual copy of a book since a sign or two might be outdated?

Dang, i'm ranting too much... Anyway, would buying a book (basically an ASL dictionary) be accurate enough to where i would be able to rely on the signs given in the book?

P.S. (sorry for the clutter, and the 'i am wondering'*times infinity*)

Matt Jones

When I teach newbies, I generally recommend "the pocketbook of ASL signs"- its small and decent and easy to bring with.

If you have a laptop, get my dvds. :cheers:

Heh, i just went out and bought "The pocket dictionary of signing". :-P Cool.

(well, just went out, as in about two hours ago. lol)

Noooooo!, i lost it on the airplane trip last night. x.x
must... buy... another one...

to answer your question....

you're perfectly fine using a book, while signs do change over time, old signs are not outright omitted...that is there is no notification sent out to every singer saying "this is the new sign for this". and the entire language will not change anytime soon.

the example you used, "computer" i see both is usage all the time. the trick to learning sign, is to be flexible and accept and learn, that there may be several different signs for the same concept.

while signs do change over time, old signs are not outright omitted...that is there is no notification sent out to every singer saying "this is the new sign for this". and the entire language will not change anytime soon.

Exactly. "Edison, victrola, turn table, LP, record player, CD Player, Ipod". Although the oldest of these terms may not be used anymore the others are still in use by English/American speakers. ASL is not any different from any other language. Older terms still exist at the same time as the newer ones are coming into common usage depending on where and who you are talking to. It all a matter of learning what term is being used by the person you're talking to.

Another example I like is the old sign for TELEPHONE, which holds one loose fist to the ear and the other to the mouth, like the old-fashioned telephones that you had to hold that way, if that makes any sense.

Interpretrator said:
Another example I like is the old sign for TELEPHONE, which holds one loose fist to the ear and the other to the mouth, like the old-fashioned telephones that you had to hold that way, if that makes any sense.
Oh, yeah!

That reminds me of the old TV series of "Lassie"; the family had a wall-mounted phone with the separate mouthpiece and receiver, and they had to stretch or stand on a stool to use it. :P

If any ADers can't visualize that old sign, they need to watch some old B&W movies on Turner Classics or other cable networks. :D

Is there a new sign for radio? It just occurred to me that the one I know mimics a Marconi/Tesla style radio where the operator is slowly turning the tuning dial and holding a headset close to his ear.

Gobae said:
Is there a new sign for radio? It just occurred to me that the one I know mimics a Marconi/Tesla style radio where the operator is slowly turning the tuning dial and holding a headset close to his ear.
Good question.

We still use the "headset" sign for radio in this area.

Back