ASL Not Foreign Language?

Do You Think ASL Should Be Counted As Foreign Language?

• Yes

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
I voted yes, and always consider the ASL as my first language, consider English as my second language.

I voted no. I pretty much agree with authentic up there. :cool: Plus, I usually signs in SEE.

That reminds me of a forum that I used to belong to that had mostly American Indians. Many of the traditional Indians still speak their nation's language and they're native too. So yes, their languages and ASL should be considered foreign languages despite the fact neither Deaf or NDNs (indians) came here from different countries.

And both have suffered through the majority's attempts to strip them of their language. Young Indian children were punished severely for using their native language in schools, and young deaf children were punished severely for using their native language in schools. Both were subjected to the belief that they were savages incapable of moral reasoning, and the only way to "save" them was to force them to use the language of the majority. There are many parallels between the way the Native Americans have been treated and the way the Deaf have been treated. Doesn't say much for the tolerance of Americans.

Hmm...If English becomes the official language of the United States, then will ASL truly become a "foreign" language? Or will English become the official spoken and written language, and ASL the official signed language of the United States? There are several twists and turns to this. :hmm:

Sweden has already differentiated between the official spoken and signed languages. I would like to see us follow suit. If that were the case, then for those whose first language is English, ASL could be studied as a foreign language, and for those who have ASL as a first language. English could be studied as a foreign language.

And both have suffered through the majority's attempts to strip them of their language. Young Indian children were punished severely for using their native language in schools, and young deaf children were punished severely for using their native language in schools. Both were subjected to the belief that they were savages incapable of moral reasoning, and the only way to "save" them was to force them to use the language of the majority. There are many parallels between the way the Native Americans have been treated and the way the Deaf have been treated. Doesn't say much for the tolerance of Americans.

I remember one of the indians said he could see many parrells between my oral background and what his people went thru when I finally told them about my background.

Yes, ASL is a foreign language because the grammatical structure of ASL is different from English, now if deaf people uses ASL as their primary method of communication then its not a foreign language to them.

I know for matter of fact colleges in Ohio had taught ASL as one of the foreign language course. Students are allow to choose which foreign language they want, I've read in the paper that most students choose ASL because its fun and interesting to them. :)

I voted no. I pretty much agree with authentic up there. :cool: Plus, I usually signs in SEE.

The question asked in this thread is not a question about deaf people, the question is about people world wide, so it is a foreign language world wide, some public and college schools accept ASL as one of a foreign language course beside spanish and others.

I voted no... Sign Language is not a foreigh language to the US, neither is Spanish or French or Chinese... etc...

US was built on the prosperty of "FREEDOM" These is no such thing as a NATIVE LANGUAGE (except that of the Indian Tribes who origionally resided here prior to us settling on the land).

Every language spoken today is a language used by those settlers, our ancestors whether European, Asian, African, etc.... So they are all natural US languages. They only become "foreign" to those who choose not to learn. But there is more to the education than just the language... what about culture.

Why do any of these langauges have to be labeled "foreign" to be offered as a language course? Is it because those who speak English (which is the majority) are just as arrogant as our ancenstors who believed the Indians Tribes were savages???? We don't offer English as a foreign langauage to those who speak another language, it is the language that is enforced in all classrooms for learning.

I voted no... Sign Language is not a foreigh language to the US, neither is Spanish or French or Chinese... etc...

US was built on the prosperty of "FREEDOM" These is no such thing as a NATIVE LANGUAGE (except that of the Indian Tribes who origionally resided here prior to us settling on the land).

Every language spoken today is a language used by those settlers, our ancestors whether European, Asian, African, etc.... So they are all natural US languages. They only become "foreign" to those who choose not to learn. But there is more to the education than just the language... what about culture.

Why do any of these langauges have to be labeled "foreign" to be offered as a language course? Is it because those who speak English (which is the majority) are just as arrogant as our ancenstors who believed the Indians Tribes were savages???? We don't offer English as a foreign langauage to those who speak another language, it is the language that is enforced in all classrooms for learning.

Once again, foreign as applied to language simply means a language that is different in syntax, grammar, and vocabulary from the lanugage used by the majority population.

I think the better question is, foreign in what context? I think the term Foreign Language for colleges is a horrible misuse of the word since the name assumes you know English. ASL, I recognize as a language and think any college should do the same.

I think the better question is, foreign in what context? I think the term Foreign Language for colleges is a horrible misuse of the word since the name assumes you know English. ASL, I recognize as a language and think any college should do the same.

Foreign in the context of language learning is used to denote the language that is different from the majority.

This conversation would be moot if schools could be persuaded to change their course terminology from "foriegn languages" to "secondary languages". Then any language any person uses would be their primary language and any language they wish to learn, including English, would be a secondary language.

I voted yes.

You know that hearing people speak different languages in the world and want to learn to speak other country's language than their own languages then attend class to learn... It does the same with deaf people...

Deaf people sign different languages in the world and want to learn to sign other country's language.

I remember back years ago, my co-worker told me that I am very lucky and have no problem to use sign languages to communicate with deaf people in the world because hearing speaking languages are different in the world. I correct her that every sign languages are different in the world like hearing speaking languages. She was like wow :eek3: when I explained her that I learn German sign language which is different as British sign language.. wow... really hard... Now I am familiar with both languages and start to learn American sign languages... I already learned Korean sign languages bit.

You will surprised when you join Ompyic for the Deaf to see they use different sign languages.

To me, learn sign languages is a foreign language because world sign languages are not same.

Liebling:-))) said:
I voted yes.

You know that hearing people speak different languages in the world and want to learn to speak other country's language than their own languages then attend class to learn... It does the same with deaf people...

Deaf people sign different languages in the world and want to learn to sign other country's language.

I remember back years ago, my co-worker told me that I am very lucky and have no problem to use sign languages to communicate with deaf people in the world because hearing speaking languages are different in the world. I correct her that every sign languages are different in the world like hearing speaking languages. She was like wow when I explained her that I learn German sign language which is different as British sign language.. wow... really hard... Now I am familiar with both languages and start to learn American sign languages... I already learned Korean sign languages bit.

You will surprised when you join Ompyic for the Deaf to see they use different sign languages.

To me, learn sign languages is a foreign language because world sign languages are not same.

You brought up a good point there Liebling and I agree, I didn't know you learned several Korean sign language, that's cool.

I know a few signs in BSL because I used to know a terp who learned it from her deaf blind cousin before she came to the USA.

This conversation would be moot if schools could be persuaded to change their course terminology from "foriegn languages" to "secondary languages". Then any language any person uses would be their primary language and any language they wish to learn, including English, would be a secondary language.

Wonderful idea!

syntax and grammar and vocabulary make it a language different than what the majority is using.
i say "yes."

Do you think ASL should be considered a Foreign Language Course?

Does anyone know anything about this...

I've noticed that ASL is not counted as a foreign language... why is that?

Just wondering...

It is at some community colleges, its like all the other language courses i.e. jap, spanish, french, etc.. many universities now accept it for foreign language too.

You know what's funy about the languages is at most colleges they wont let the frenchies take french or the mexicans take spanish but they'll let us take asl hehe.:ty:

ASL displays the highest increase in enrollment for foreign languages at colleges/universities. According to USAToday newspaper (November 2003), there were 11,420 students taking ASL classes in 1998 and in 2002, 60,849 students took ASL classes (432.8% change). There is still an overwhelming demand for ASL classes, even at high schools across the country.

Links Page

Back