asl interpreter at doc office

vwbug19

Reaction score
oh boy what a butthead they are my gf and i called to request an asl interpreter for doctor's office appt and they told me its our reposiblity to set up interpreter appt for the doc office ,i told them it their reposibily to do that themself and next visit we were handed a copy of interpreters list which lists all languages and i see 4 of em are asl interpreter and handwritten info by the recptionst says "patient calls to set up" i see it ,i already knew it's wrong so went home and looked up ama guideline yep it is their reposiblity not us,, i asked around yep im right about it that it is not our reponsibity,so...one person tells me the reason they want us to setup is it will cause interpreter to charge us instead of tem which is wrong ,there is a pargraph in amma guideline that says doctor are reponsible for the payment and can't charge patients for interpreter service,also the doc office is a small building and i know it is but no matter what the doc office is under contract with southwest hospital and also under univeristy hospital system which is in cleveland,oh area

ok anyone who knows or had experienced it please do tells in here

I would send the office an email with a link to the guidelines, and I would copy the part on the email that says they are responsible. Be polite, and request again that they set up an interpreter for you. Hopefully that will work. They would be quite ignorant if they don't provide you with an interpreter at that point.

You are correct that the doctor's office is responsible for making interpreter arrangements, including paying for the service.

Even when friends request that I interpret for their medical appointments, I have to tell them that they can give my contact information to the doctor's office but the office has to contact me and make the request. I can't just show up at a medical appointment with the deaf patient. Also, that doctor's office may already have a contract with another interpreter, and it wouldn't be ethical for me to usurp that.

All interpreter "business" is done between the doctor's office and the terp. The deaf patient doesn't get involved in that.

Here's the thing ... while WE deal with things such as interpreters and related policy often - many doctor's offices do not.

The person may honestly not know what the proper way to handle interpreter booking IS and is making the assumption that "if YOU the Hoh/Deaf person needs them, then it should be you that books them".

Keep in mind that this person may have never booked an interpreter before - and truly honestly doesn't know. They're thinking things like you (the Hoh/d/Deaf person) know what you need, who to call, how to "book them", how to make sure it's the "right type of interpreter" etc... and they (receptionist) might "mess up" and not know how to get the right person etc.

I've found it's VERY helpful to explain the process briefly to the receptionist etc, and also have a 'contact person' at the interpreter agency who the receptionist can phone to walk her/him through whole process correctly and explain how payments etc are made, who's "Responsible for payment" how that all works etc.

(***You are NOT getting involved in the booking of an interpreter - simply giving the Dr. office receptionist a "contact" who can help the Dr office book the interpreter***)

While it may not be your "JOB" to do all this extra work ... taking the time now to politely, patiently, and kindly help inform and educate this person/dr. office how to properly handle the request for an ASL interpreter WILL make things SO much easier for you - and any other Hoh/Deaf person in the future.

Taking the time to explain this properly, and put them in touch with an agency with RID etc certified interpreters also helps ensure that they will USE proper licensed and certified interpreters instead of "cutting corners" because they don't know better etc.

I'd contact the agency/ agencies listed, and then ask to speak to someone there who is able to walk a medical office through how booking an interpreter works etc. Ask the agency person (lets call them "Sue") if there is a direct line the Dr office receptionist could call, or an email they could use to get them in contact with "Sue" directly since she's already aware of the situation and what information that the Dr. office will need to know about etc. ("Sue" can also see if the Dr. Office already has an account etc with "Sue's" agency so she can let the Dr. office know that when they call as well)

Most people - even those who "should" - simply do not understand the way booking ASL interpreters "works", who "funds" the ASL interpreters, what the legal requirements are etc.

As people who DO understand how to book interpreters and how critical it that the interpreters be licensed, certified etc. we DO have an ability and obligation to help people, (especially those in places like Drs offices) understand the "system" :)

Hope that helps.

yes they did have an asl interpreter one time before i did show the info from ada law before same person same nurse same recptionist at old office before moving to new office

oh boy what a butthead they are my gf and i called to request an asl interpreter for doctor's office appt and they told me its our reposiblity to set up interpreter appt for the doc office ,i told them it their reposibily to do that themself and next visit we were handed a copy of interpreters list which lists all languages and i see 4 of em are asl interpreter and handwritten info by the recptionst says "patient calls to set up" i see it ,i already knew it's wrong so went home and looked up ama guideline yep it is their reposiblity not us,, i asked around yep im right about it that it is not our reponsibity,so...one person tells me the reason they want us to setup is it will cause interpreter to charge us instead of tem which is wrong ,there is a pargraph in amma guideline that says doctor are reponsible for the payment and can't charge patients for interpreter service,also the doc office is a small building and i know it is but no matter what the doc office is under contract with southwest hospital and also under univeristy hospital system which is in cleveland,oh area

ok anyone who knows or had experienced it please do tells in here

I've had the same happen to me. I said, then fine .. i'll find a new doctor. Doctors offices btw, like to keep you coming back. Everytime you come they can charge the insurance for something.

Last edited:
Back