ASL Idioms?

Athena

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone here knows any ASL idioms. I have seen "train go sorry" but that is the only one anyone has ever shown me, and I know there has to be more, every language has them...

I think there's one we all seen often is "wop" sign meaning I'm already know about it and am experienced and bored with it.
You sign with open palm faced down on chin and then move across and close the hand into fist.

Mind escape and Mind freeze. Those is two very common ones. Mind freeze is like a brain fart. Mind escape is like memory loss.

The letter "I" signed repeatedly on the chest with alternating hands means "egotistical".

Another ASL idiom is finish touch. That one is used to mean that you have already been somewhere. Other examples include mind frozen (cannot think),vomit (hate that), and swallow pride (feel like fool).

Asl Idiom Oh, I see

"Y" shape palms out, nodding head, bouncing arm around chest area

cow-it

"COW-IT" is roughly translated into I don't care for something
hand shape--- y hand shape moving down into a d hand shape
location--- forehead and infront of face
movement--- forward and downward
palm orientation--- facing away from you, and downward
non manual markers--- tilt head on cow, and scrunch face on it
george bethell

the idiom "On the Fence" meaning you haven't made a decision about something is signed with both hands stacked on top of each other in a flat hand with palms facing opposite ways, and wiggling the top hand back and forth while making a concerned facial expression. :|

that is complication to sign language. it is hard to ASL idiom

I do not understand any of the ASL idioms which is really way out of this world. :roll: Does this word "idiom" mean the same for phrases so that would confuse all of us not understand what they mean like "werd" which is a different meaning instead of "weird"?
:hmm:

I do not understand any of the ASL idioms which is really way out of this world. :roll: Does this word "idiom" mean the same for phrases so that would confuse all of us not understand what they mean like "werd" which is a different meaning instead of "weird"?
:hmm:

Yes that is right that idioms mean something different from what they actually say.

JClarke gave one last night in a thread about slang- "Away with the pixies" which is meaning a person is daydreaming in Australian slang or idiom.

Here is a link to common idioms that are used in ASL.

http://www.kent.k12.wa.us/staff/kathyunderhill/ASL_3/3notes_handout/_Idioms.pdf

English idiom

kick the bucket meaning to die

hold(one's) horses meaning to slow down , wait and not be impatient.

ASL

Train fade-out-of-sight meaning, 'Sorry, you missed it.

my source from The Original Green Book by Charlotte Baker-Shenk and Dennis Cokely.

Back