ASL help and interested in Deaf culture/community

charchar

Reaction score
Hi everyone I wanted to start of by saying that this is my first time using an app like this. I am from NYC and I am hearing. However, I recently started learning asl and want to not only hopefully make new friends ,but also know more about deaf and hard of hearing and learn more asl.

Checking out Lexington for the deaf school, for a start? Deaf agency?

There are plenty of Deaf people who are ASL users there. I used to live there in long island.

My brother took ASL classes at lexington for NYPD purprose. My bro and other collegues who have deaf relatives and they have certiciate whihc means they can deal with deaf people either bad or good. They are the communicator.

Thanks but I rather continue learning on my own and with people than taking a class

Huh? When you take a class you are learning with people. And taking a class at a school recommended by ADers has got to be much better than learning on your own. But, to each is own.

Huh? When you take a class you are learning with people. And taking a class at a school recommended by ADers has got to be much better than learning on your own. But, to each is own.

Learning with people I meant as in communicating with others on a normal day to day basis not sit in class and be instructed by the book by a person who probably doesn't even know the deaf community like that.

Learning with people I meant as in communicating with others on a normal day to day basis not sit in class and be instructed by the book by a person who probably doesn't even know the deaf community like that.

Frisky told you where to go in your area. Definitely taught by the right teachers in the right way.

It's a much better way of doing things if you truly want to learn ASL.

I was taught at a deaf school in a community class. It was voice off and we practiced with each other. The book, which came with a DVD, was for practicing at home. Rarely was it used in class. If I had wanted immersion I'm sure the school would have provided ways for me to get involved.

You should at least look into what FF suggested.

You should go to ASL slam show. You will meet deaf people there.

Here is information:

ASL SLAM NYC
Pioneers Bar
138 W. 29th st.
BT. 6th and 7th Ave.
Admission: 12 dollars
Happy Hour: 6-7pm
Show: 7-8:30pm
Febraury 7th, 2015

You should go to ASL slam show. You will meet deaf people there.

Here is information:

ASL SLAM NYC

Pioneers Bar

138 W. 29th st.

BT. 6th and 7th Ave.

Admission: 12 dollars

Happy Hour: 6-7pm

Show: 7-8:30pm

Febraury 7th, 2015

Wow thank you so much

I've had six different ASL classes over the last three years, and am currently taking a class on structure. All of these classes were/are taught by Deaf teachers who are native users of ASL. All of these classes were my favorite classes to attend, as they were fun and interactive (we didn't just sit and watch a lecture. We participated, practiced, and learned a lot through doing things). Books were only really supplemental to the lesson. We used the book as practice outside of class, and in my Advanced Conversation class, we taught lessons from the previous semester's book in order to show fluency and demonstrate understanding of different registers. We had to attend Deaf Events (Deaf Coffee Nights, DeaFestival, MATA Expo, Deaf West Theatre productions, to name a few), and we learned an incredible amount about Deaf Culture. Classes were all voice-off, so we had no choice but to practice, and the teachers were very welcoming and encouraging. ASL teachers don't expect fluency. They know how to work with people learning the language, and how to build on things that have been taught before. Learning in a structured environment is an excellent way to establish a base for learning through socialization. Also, I've never met someone who went to Deaf Events for the purpose of teaching someone ASL. Normally, people go in order to socialize and catch up with friends.

There are awful teachers out there, however, if you find a good teacher (native user and deaf), who knows the community, you'll learn so much, so quickly. Suggestions given by members of this site are often very good. I'd encourage you to reconsider your view on classes.

I'm not d/Deaf, but I AM in my third year of Deaf Studies at CSUN. I'm also sick, so please forgive any grammar errors.

I've had six different ASL classes over the last three years, and am currently taking a class on structure. All of these classes were/are taught by Deaf teachers who are native users of ASL. All of these classes were my favorite classes to attend, as they were fun and interactive (we didn't just sit and watch a lecture. We participated, practiced, and learned a lot through doing things). Books were only really supplemental to the lesson. We used the book as practice outside of class, and in my Advanced Conversation class, we taught lessons from the previous semester's book in order to show fluency and demonstrate understanding of different registers. We had to attend Deaf Events (Deaf Coffee Nights, DeaFestival, MATA Expo, Deaf West Theatre productions, to name a few), and we learned an incredible amount about Deaf Culture. Classes were all voice-off, so we had no choice but to practice, and the teachers were very welcoming and encouraging. ASL teachers don't expect fluency. They know how to work with people learning the language, and how to build on things that have been taught before. Learning in a structured environment is an excellent way to establish a base for learning through socialization. Also, I've never met someone who went to Deaf Events for the purpose of teaching someone ASL. Normally, people go in order to socialize and catch up with friends.

There are awful teachers out there, however, if you find a good teacher (native user and deaf), who knows the community, you'll learn so much, so quickly. Suggestions given by members of this site are often very good. I'd encourage you to reconsider your view on classes.

I'm not d/Deaf, but I AM in my third year of Deaf Studies at CSUN. I'm also sick, so please forgive any grammar errors.

Thank you so much for your response. Honestly you just made me reconsider learning it in a class and I hope I get a great teacher . These last couple of months I have been learning the language on my own by using this website called lifeprint.com , getting an asl dictionary and an app that helps me fingerspelling. And even though I am loving the language and how I am learning it the experiences you went through learning it in a class is exactly what I would want , to go to deaf events etc. So once again thank you so much.

Thank you so much for your response. Honestly you just made me reconsider learning it in a class and I hope I get a great teacher . These last couple of months I have been learning the language on my own by using this website called lifeprint.com , getting an asl dictionary and an app that helps me fingerspelling. And even though I am loving the language and how I am learning it the experiences you went through learning it in a class is exactly what I would want , to go to deaf events etc. So once again thank you so much.

Any time! If you have any more questions about ASL classes or anything, feel free to contact me. I'll help in whatever way I can. People on this site are generally knowledgable as well. Lifeprint's not a bad website, but nothing compares to an in-person teacher (and having fun with classmates).

I wish you the best of luck with your studies!!!

Back