ASL grammar

Julietta

Reaction score
Anyone have some good links/references on ASL grammar? I'm looking around on my own, but it always helps to ask too! A lot of what I do ends up being signed english unfortunately :roll:

It is almost impossible to learn ASL without a class and grammer is really a hard concept to get right. Sure, you can pick up some signs and there are a number of websites that help with different parts of the language but without a mentor it is really tough. There is also the problem with regional differences. One sign for a word in NY may be a different sign for the same word in Pittsburg. I think it is great you are trying to learn ASL to communicate better with your deaf or HOH patients. I worked the ER in San Diego for many years so I can appreciate how helpful that skill would be to your patients. I hope you can find a class in your town that will fit in with your schedule. If you work 12 hours shifts like I did that is not easy. Good Luck

Nononono, :p I'm enrolled in a two year ASL program, and I've taken a class or two at the local school for the deaf, but my next classes don't start until the spring so I'm studying on my own for now to try to be ahead of the game when classes start up and was looking for grammar help bc I know that's where I need the most work. I couldn't do this solo!! :lol:

Nononono, :p I'm enrolled in a two year ASL program, and I've taken a class or two at the local school for the deaf, but my next classes don't start until the spring so I'm studying on my own for now to try to be ahead of the game when classes start up and was looking for grammar help bc I know that's where I need the most work. I couldn't do this solo!! :lol:

I was told that ASL grammar is just like Spanish grammar because the end sentence go to front sentence and so on. Here example Spanish Grammar

For instance, The apple is green. Do we mean the apple is not yet ripe or it is color of apple? So on that we don't use as -ing with past tense. Why am I lecture this but the point... is someone says that ASL is just same as Spanish.

Back