ASL for all?

lsfoster

Reaction score
So I was wondering about something. When I started getting interested in sign language, I thought that it was a really interesting and important language. I started thinking that instead of having kids learn spanish in elementary school, it would be much more valuable to have them learn sign language as a "second language" in k-5. It helps with so many things developmentally, and helps kids have much better spatial awareness, and just helps your brain process language differently in general. I also thought that it would be better since it would help with the ability of all American's to be able to communicate with each other.

I know, however, that sign language is a very essential part of Deaf culture, and I was wondering how other people felt about it. Would you support that? Do you think it would be better if pretty much everyone had some basic knowledge of ASL? Or is it something that you feel more "protective" of? I'd love to know other people's thoughts. :)

I'm a hearing person so i've got no right at all to feel protective of a language that is not my own. That being siad, it wouldn't be a bad thing for all people to know asl basics.

I'm hearing too, that's why I was wondering. :) I think it would be great for everyone to know at least a little sign language, but I wonder if there are others who disagree.

I know, however, that sign language is a very essential part of Deaf culture, and I was wondering how other people felt about it. Would you support that? Do you think it would be better if pretty much everyone had some basic knowledge of ASL? Or is it something that you feel more "protective" of? I'd love to know other people's thoughts. :)

I absolutely am in support for everyone to have some basic knowledge of ASL. The more the people know about ASL, The more I believe that a lot of people would be able to develop visualizations, communication structures, and among other general stuffs.

The only thing I feel protective about ASL is when they 'act' like they 'own' it and tries to modify it. You know, Why fix it when it is not broken? :)

Matter a fact I made a thread on teaching pre schoolers ASL a while back.

I think it is great!

No I do not feel it is a protected language due to it will increase the method of communication between deaf and hearing people.

Of course, I think that's a wonderful idea and I wish it was implemented everywhere.

I wish that ASL was used in the UK but it wouldnt be ASL if it was!

I just like the one handed alphabet better and ASL is more visible!

I wish that ASL was used in the UK but it wouldnt be ASL if it was!

I just like the one handed alphabet better and ASL is more visible!

Hi
Each language has their own sign language, and all of them need to be protected.

I am a hoh person, my family oralizes (gosh, spelling isn't my best subject :lol: ) and I would like to learn as many sign languages as I know oral languages :)

Yeah, I echo the sentiment that everyone know ASL basics; I'm not sure about gangsters, though.....:lol:

Yes, matter of fact I do pretty much would love for everyone to know some basic sign language to be able to communication along the deaf and hard of hearing people. I love it so much when hearing people come up to me and tell me they know signs, it puts a big smile upon my face. :)

It would be a great idea. Not just having it replace other foreign languages in school, but at least be an option. I grew up in an area that we had a lot of migrant workers from that spoke only Spanish, therefore, Spanish was quite relevent in school there, but it would have been great to have the option of ASL. I know that there are other areas of the USA that have a predominance of Haitian, Creole, Spanish, German or other languages spoken and that is also important for those areas, but ASL would be good in ANY area. Just like in other countries, having their sign language being taught to everyone.

I absolutely agree with pretty much all of you Deaf people on preserving our ASL and using the basic ASL for hearing people who want to sign along with us. So that is great. I support ASL and hope that it can be saved for the rest of the century and onward to the centuries. There will be changes in the languages which are not protected. Like our native languages, they have been lost by our speaking the English and French along with Spanish, both in Canada and United States. We just have to hang on to our ASL as best we can. :fingersx:

So I was wondering about something. When I started getting interested in sign language, I thought that it was a really interesting and important language. I started thinking that instead of having kids learn spanish in elementary school, it would be much more valuable to have them learn sign language as a "second language" in k-5. It helps with so many things developmentally, and helps kids have much better spatial awareness, and just helps your brain process language differently in general. I also thought that it would be better since it would help with the ability of all American's to be able to communicate with each other.

I'm a hearing person so i've got no right at all to feel protective of a language that is not my own. That being siad, it wouldn't be a bad thing for all people to know asl basics.

I absolutely am in support for everyone to have some basic knowledge of ASL. The more the people know about ASL, The more I believe that a lot of people would be able to develop visualizations, communication structures, and among other general stuffs.

The only thing I feel protective about ASL is when they 'act' like they 'own' it and tries to modify it. You know, Why fix it when it is not broken? :)

Matter a fact I made a thread on teaching pre schoolers ASL a while back.

I think it is great!

No I do not feel it is a protected language due to it will increase the method of communication between deaf and hearing people.

Of course, I think that's a wonderful idea and I wish it was implemented everywhere.

Yeah, I echo the sentiment that everyone know ASL basics; I'm not sure about gangsters, though.....:lol:

It would be a great idea. Not just having it replace other foreign languages in school, but at least be an option. I grew up in an area that we had a lot of migrant workers from that spoke only Spanish, therefore, Spanish was quite relevent in school there, but it would have been great to have the option of ASL. I know that there are other areas of the USA that have a predominance of Haitian, Creole, Spanish, German or other languages spoken and that is also important for those areas, but ASL would be good in ANY area. Just like in other countries, having their sign language being taught to everyone.

Seriously - Watch the film at mosinternational.com if you can understand it.

Back