ASL Flash Cards?

ryancher

Reaction score
So, as Tyler is VERY visual and we're trying to teach him new signs everyday... I was looking for somewhere to buy some big boards to hang on our walls.

I can't seem to find any... but I did find a pack of ASL flash cards for kids. I'm thinking about hanging some of these up around the house. What do you think???

So, as Tyler is VERY visual and we're trying to teach him new signs everyday... I was looking for somewhere to buy some big boards to hang on our walls.

I can't seem to find any... but I did find a pack of ASL flash cards for kids. I'm thinking about hanging some of these up around the house. What do you think???

what kind of printer do you have at home? I know my HP printer/scanner lets me scan an image in, then blow it up to 2x2 or 4x4 pages, etc. Maybe your printer can do this too??
*EQL*

Personally, I would print off nice sheets with the word and sign on them.

I know Borders and bookstores of that nature have flashcards for sale. They usually come in a small box and have about 200-400 cards.

This is what I'm talking about: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sign2Me-Flashcards-Beginners-American-Language/dp/1932354050/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283041920&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Sign2Me - ASL Flashcards: Beginners Series - Quick Start Pack (Incl. ASL + English + Spanish) (American Sign Language) (Spanish Edition) (9781932354058): Sign2Me: Books[/ame]

I think it's a great idea! Put up signs that coordinate with objects, like the sign for 'phone' by the phone, and 'table' on the table, etc. That might help connect the sign to the object in your head.

I know of one person who learned Spanish like that, and she told me she'd play games with it. One game where she had the whole pack in front of her was where she'd challenge herself to solve 5 cards (or whatever you want) before she could watch a movie, go out with friends, etc. Basically like a reward after solving the number of cards you wanted.

not sure which post you are referring to.. but you are welcome if you were referring to mine! ;)
*EQL*

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to.

I'm going to try and enlarge a few flashcards and place them on objects. Learn a few signs every week.

I've thought about using single 4x6 photo album sheets and taking pics of objects and taping a flashcard on the back with the ASL sign.

Hmm We are beginning the PECS system and using signing, and I need to learn more too... I wonder if there is room for both..... I have been signing for everything she asks for as well as the word. And her language has just been blossoming over the last couple weeks... like sky rocketing! Bringing me to tears every time I think of it! Now if only I could pick up signs that fast! LOL

Hmm We are beginning the PECS system and using signing, and I need to learn more too... I wonder if there is room for both..... I have been signing for everything she asks for as well as the word. And her language has just been blossoming over the last couple weeks... like sky rocketing! Bringing me to tears every time I think of it! Now if only I could pick up signs that fast! LOL

AMEN!!!! I swear Adam gets them so much quicker than I can!! Granted I'm just teaching him the basic things for his needs-- but WOW he remembers them much quicker than me!!!

Back