ASL everyday

ASL only

• Yes

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters
*Bump* for those new members comes. Just reply if you don't know ASL and share it here and why?

Is the question as stated by the OP: 'Do you use american sign language on a regular basis?' or as the poll language says: 'ASL only'?

Yes, we use ASL everyday on a regular basis (my daughter is profoundly deaf). Or maybe my answer needs to be No, we use several languages on an everyday basis in our multilingual family, including but not exclusively ASL.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I use ASL daily - but I also use spoken English daily as well.

Even if I don't use it to communicate with others daily (ie I'm home alone), I still use it to work out various things.
For example when I was writing a lot of sermons/homilies and other oral presentations, I'd typically construct the outlines in ASL first, then write them in English.

I'm mildly dyslexic - so I often use finger spelling (muscle memory) to assist me.

I also will fingerspell shopping lists becuase I remember things better that way.

Of course when I'm out in public places, it's fairly common to bump into someone who signs. Also some of my family signs, though not as much as they could.

Vote yes to ASL

ASL everyday, I wish retail stores would help teach employees the basics.
Sares in Cheyenne

Well I am with myself or in the deaf community yes I sign alone most of time. However, when I am with hearing family, I voiced only because they don't sign.

*bump*

either you did sign everyday when you were a kid or older or just when you are with friends.

i sign to hearing people even they dont know ASL . :)

My voice is reserved for getting my kids attention when they are doing or have done something they are not supposed to. Then it's usually more of a Rawr or Growl than a Voice. Those who have kids will understand!

My voice is reserved for getting my kids attention when they are doing or have done something they are not supposed to. Then it's usually more of a Rawr or Growl than a Voice. Those who have kids will understand!

Ha. I do use my voice with my kids. BUT it's my biggest mistake that I started using my voice when my oldest kid who have a hard time learning ASL. SO i had to turn my voice off and she has been picking up better in her late age. My boy picks up ASL good because i had to turn my voice off. I do use my voices only if its necessary since they are hearing so i use up my voice for good reason. :lol:

Frisky, how old are your children, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't think I should answer the poll. I am hearing, my family is all hearing (except the one son-in-law who is deaf in one ear). I have a nonverbal daughter who uses some sign- but it's very basic (eat, toilet, drink, more, Mom, Dad). I see my grandbabies every day ,and their mommies use some sign with them (again, very basic, please, more, down, up, eat, mom, dad, toilet, help), and I use a bit more (my two year old grandson and I sometimes have fun with signs for different animals).

I am teaching/learning sign with our three youngest (13, 16, 21)- and the youngest two and I do practice each day- but it's not _necessary_- and my 13 year old is a little resistant.

On Sundays only I think I sign about as much as I speak, because Sundays are the days I see my deaf friend/ASL teacher, and Sundays are the most exhausting day of the week for me. I hope as I get better, it will be less taxing.

Back