ASL Course

Alex-Chameleon

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First post and new to the site, I have a few questions and it would be great if someone could help me answer them :)

I want to start learning ASL and plan on enrolling on the Summer 2015 course at Gallaudet.

First question is how do ASL courses work? There is no information about ASL for beginners.

How many levels are there?
How long on average does each level take?
Is there a central examination body which awards certificates? Or does it vary from place to place?
Finally, the ASL I course at Gallaudet in Summer is only 2 weeks long, 5 hours a day, 50 hours in total. Is this a correct amount of hours needed to pass a level 1 course? I ask because it doesn't seem much.

I would love to get your help answering these questions.

Thank you!!
Alex

Hello Everyone,

First post and new to the site, I have a few questions and it would be great if someone could help me answer them :)

I want to start learning ASL and plan on enrolling on the Summer 2015 course at Gallaudet.

First question is how do ASL courses work? There is no information about ASL for beginners.

How many levels are there?
How long on average does each level take?
Is there a central examination body which awards certificates? Or does it vary from place to place?
Finally, the ASL I course at Gallaudet in Summer is only 2 weeks long, 5 hours a day, 50 hours in total. Is this a correct amount of hours needed to pass a level 1 course? I ask because it doesn't seem much.

I would love to get your help answering these questions.

Thank you!!
Alex

Alex,

Consider this if you will.

An average class at Gallaudet is 1 hour and 20 minutes long, twice a week. Let's say you do that for roughly 20 weeks and you get 50 hours.

Normally you don't get certificates but you do get credit. Not sure what else you can use the class for; i.e. CEU's or such.

Im not sure how many "levels" there are, but I have taken ASL I and ASL II and you do get a certificate for those levels upon completion, also you get I believe 2 credits each

yes, depending on school....

Attachments

• asla.jpg
    asla.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 11
  • aslb.jpg
    aslb.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 7
  • asld.jpg
    asld.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 6
yes, depending on school....

Very helpful, thank you kindly...I couldn't find any info on this

You can't go wrong taking this entry level course at Gallaudet, the mecca of deaf education but please remember this level is like at the 1st or 2nd grade.

That said, what is the reason for your inquiry if I may ask?

We'll I'm fluent in BSL now and the idea of learning ASL excites me greatly and would present a new challenge for me and there are 0 places to learn ASL in the UK, so why not fly over during summer to Gallaudet to learn, as you call it the Mecca of deaf education. I have known of it for quite a while and would love to say I studied there, as Sign Language is my passion in life :)

Back