ASL Class Questions

simsjim215

Reaction score
Hi All

Thanks for reading my post.

I am a hearie who wants to enroll in an ASL class and I am fortunate enough to have two choices about where I take the classes.

1st choice is offered by the Deaf Hearing Communication Center at the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf. The class meets once a week for two hour sessions, and the required text is “Signing Naturally Units 1-6” which will be used for beginner levels 1 through 4. The course description states that “all lessons are presented without voice.”

The second choice is at a Montgomery County Community College. Class meets once a week for 3 hour sessions and uses the text “A Basic Course In American Sign Language”, which will be used for the first three course levels “Getting Started, Beyond Basics, Getting Fluent”.

One of the differences between the DHCC and MCCC courses is that the MCCC courses are ACT 48 eligible. Act 48 is a requirement for Pennsylvania educators to document their participation in continuing professional development. I am not taking the course to become a terp, or teacher but really for my own desires. So the Act 48 eligibility of the MCCC course isn’t a deal breaker.

The other difference is the School for Deaf sessions are an hour shorter than the MCCC sessions each week. I wonder if this is because the school knows the ‘saturation point’ after being in a class room for a couple of hours, and/or they have a more efficient approach to instruction. I don’t know.

I guess I wonder if anyone has experience with the different texts as well.
Also opinions about a class for ASL being offered at a school for Deaf vs a school where hearies are majority population.

There is a huge part of me that thinks the DHCC course at the Pennsylvania School for Deaf is the better option, but wanted to get some advice from folks familiar with the class and or the schools.

I am wondering if anyone would want offer feedback on the better class option.

Thanks so much,
James

Back