ASL Class Problem

Have you joined your local chapters of RID and NAD? They often provide training opportunities and networking.

Have you joined your local chapters of RID and NAD? They often provide training opportunities and networking.

I haven't joined yet; was waiting until after the holidays. Or at least until payday. Next week, I'll be attending my first NYCBDA meeting (NYC Black Deaf Advocates). Looking forward to it.

What I find even sadder than the two from school was the woman at the Deaf Event who was in level 4 at another school and couldn't sign at all. They have a terp program there too and I can just imagine what it's like. Maybe she was the exception to the rule.

Thanks!

Just thought I'd give you all a follow-up.

The high school girl in my University class who knows nothing and does her HS homework will not be going on to the next level. The instructor isn't going to pass her. I am annoyed that she got to this level because the other instructors thought she was cute. I am not kidding. When I asked another instructor why he passed her, he said because she was cute. And here I am busting my butt and all I had to do was be cute and 15?? :mad:

Anyway my other school started classes and the woman who talked is in my new class there too. The owner of the school told her NOT to go to the next level, so she paid for level 4 and attends level 6. She still can't sign, but she is slightly better than a woman who was at a Deaf Event I attended. She voiced all the time. She was in level 4 at a school I was interested in, but is too far away from my home and she couldn't fingerspell at all. All she did was voice and complain. I had to walk away because I was about to scream.

I know the University classes are Continuing Ed and I shouldn't have such high expectations. However, I expect people to work because I work so hard. I don't expect anyone to practice everyday, but it would be nice if they did. And paid attention in class. And stopped talking. And learned to fingerspell.

Maybe I AM expecting too much... from them. From me? I expect more. I don't want to be one of those bad terps Dereksbicycles mentioned.:ty:

worry about yourself and how you are doing in the class - you can't control how other people behave or study so forget about them.

In my ASL class, we get deductions from our grades if we use our voice and our teacher is very strict about that.

sorry i adjust for experience lots of study PSE and ASL :) I am translate ASL and ESL! I am very support ASL and ESL :) I am offer ASL and ESL Dont worry i edit PSL and I expect for you I suggest to you best work for you improve you!I think structure missing to English issues! I think ESL is very full , I Notice on ASL is very structure!

ASL : what doing you (simply short)

ESL : what are doing you (full exmaple)

I am example study lots of reading more language :)

tell the truth to the teacher that you did not learn anything but in a nice way.

I'm not sure how continuing education courses work, but many colleges and universities have an anonymous evaluation form for students to fill out at the end of the quarter/semester.

I have another update:

Last night was my last class (this level anyway) and I was told that the same teacher will be teaching level 6.:jaw:

But it gets worse. The school needs 4 people to hold a class. Without the HS student, we only have 3. Miss HS Student gladly waved her hand and announced (voiced) that she would be taking level 6 :roll: Two other students just laughed. However, if the class is changed to a different day, Miss HS Student can't make it as she has another class she's probably doing poorly in. We would have the necessary 4 because another student will be joining us.

Usually, there is an evaluation form to fill out, but my teacher didn't give them out. Wonder if she knew we'd all say we didn't learn anything, because we didn't. I hope there's a lesson plan for the next level. I just want to learn as much as I can; I am paying for it.

I was hoping to apply to the Interp Program in May, but after this class, I don't think I'm ready.

Someone pass the bottle, mama needs a cocktail.:beer:

I have another update:

Last night was my last class (this level anyway) and I was told that the same teacher will be teaching level 6.:jaw:

But it gets worse. The school needs 4 people to hold a class. Without the HS student, we only have 3. Miss HS Student gladly waved her hand and announced (voiced) that she would be taking level 6 :roll: Two other students just laughed. However, if the class is changed to a different day, Miss HS Student can't make it as she has another class she's probably doing poorly in. We would have the necessary 4 because another student will be joining us.

Usually, there is an evaluation form to fill out, but my teacher didn't give them out. Wonder if she knew we'd all say we didn't learn anything, because we didn't. I hope there's a lesson plan for the next level. I just want to learn as much as I can; I am paying for it.

I was hoping to apply to the Interp Program in May, but after this class, I don't think I'm ready.

Someone pass the bottle, mama needs a cocktail.:beer:

Wow, I'm really surprised that NYC has so few options. What about contacting the Deaf owned interpreting service in NYC and see if they can hook you up with a Deaf tutor instead?

Two cosmopolitans and one figure skating session later and I'm feeling much better now.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Jazzberry, I too am surprised at the limited resources in NYC. It's New York City; you'd think there would be more choices. Westchester and upstate NY have more choices, but I live in the city and I'd rather not move right now.

I only have two more levels of ASL classes (goes up to 7) and four more electives and I obtain my certificate. Thank goodness for the other school I'm attending, otherwise I'd be totally lost.

Thanks again!:ty:

Usually, there is an evaluation form to fill out, but my teacher didn't give them out. Wonder if she knew we'd all say we didn't learn anything, because we didn't.

I suppose you could take it up with your department head, but that could have its own problems -- for instance if the instructor presents herself as an expert in ASL and the department head doesn't know any better, it might be perceived as an attack on a qualified staff member.

Dunno what to tell you. It's a tough situation.

Kitten - How many in-class hours is each of these courses?

I'm just wondering because when you're saying "ASL 6" where I live that's effectively 6 years worth of classes, being composed of 12 levels, each with 40hours of in-class instruction, making for a total of a minimum of 700-725 hours of in-class instruction.

These courses would be: ASL 101,102,103,201,202,203,301,302,303 + 2 years of advanced college level studies on Deaf Culture, Linguistics, Ethics of interpreting, etc - taught completely in ASL where the students participate in ASL only and are conversationally fluent.

In contrast, it sounds as if by "level 6" what you really mean is the 6th available class level (which most of us might call "ASL 203"). In this case -provided each class is 40hours - you'd have a total of only 240 hours of instruction.

I'm just trying to figure out where you are at level wise because knowing that will make it easier for us to offer suggestions.

Can you post the school that you're taking these courses at?
That way we could perhaps find an alternative location for you to take classes. You could also contact Lexie & NYSD to see if they know of other ASL programs close to you.

With NYC having such a huge, diverse Hoh/Deaf signing community, I just can't fathom there not being better places to learn ASL in a proper Deaf environment.

I was trying to be polite and not rat out HOFSTRA University in Hempstead, NY. As I mentioned, it is a Continuing Education course, so that lowers the expectations quite a bit. I know that it is no where near as advanced as the courses you are talking about Anij. I really have no business complaining, but since I am trying so hard to learn so much, I am somewhat frustrated. Now I fear that anyone in that program will be able to figure out who is writing this and there may be some type of retailation. (Did I spell that right?)

I plan to take classes at Lexington, but in the spring as I must rely on my car to get to class and the weather in NY can be unpredictable.

Guess I was just venting about my class and I should stop. I am no where near a university level 6; I'm just a woman taking ASL in a continuing ed setting.

Upstate NY has more Deaf activities than NYC, or at least they post more activities. I'll just keep looking.

Thanks.

Even continuing Ed courses have minimum standards they have to meet - especially if they're being held via a university.

I'll take a look and see if I can find anything else that might be better - I know there is SLC in NYC, but don't know anything about their program.

Regarding "Ratting them out" ... if a school is proclaiming to teach proper ASL classes and taking money for them, they should expect that they need to maintain standards, ensure their teaching staff are knowledge not only in the course material (ASL) but also are actually teaching. It's not enough to have someone fluent in ASL decide they're a "teacher" and promote themselves as such to a university ... they have to put their skills where their signs are - so to speak.

If you'd like some book and video recommendations, let us know and we can help you out. Also if you'd like to talk privately, just send me a PM and I'll see what I can suggest to help :)

Two cosmopolitans and one figure skating session later and I'm feeling much better now.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Jazzberry, I too am surprised at the limited resources in NYC. It's New York City; you'd think there would be more choices. Westchester and upstate NY have more choices, but I live in the city and I'd rather not move right now.

I only have two more levels of ASL classes (goes up to 7) and four more electives and I obtain my certificate. Thank goodness for the other school I'm attending, otherwise I'd be totally lost.

Thanks again!:ty:

Oh, I had forgotten what you said in your OP. So, if I understand correctly, you are only going to the community college to get the certificate so that you can apply for an ASL interpreter's program later. But except for that piece of paper -- that community college is essentially worthless? So you are also taking ASL classes at the Lexington School for the Deaf in Queens, NY which apparently also offers ASL classes for adults and is worth taking -- but doesn't offer a certificate?

What a shame. I hope the schools that you end up applying to will not dismiss your certificate because of where you got it.

I occassionally go to ASL meetups to practice. Some people there have mentioned that Laguardia Community College also offers ASL classes. Have you heard anything about that school's program?

Thanks. I now consider this matter closed and have no intention of complaining about my class (or for that matter anything else) any longer. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

Thank you.
Kitten

Back