ASL Class Being Cut from High School?

justinram11

Reaction score
Hello! I just wanted to get some opinions on this. I go to a fairly small school in Minnesota (about 80 kids per grade) and we have three 2nd language classes, ASL, German, and Spanish. I'm not sure what the sudden change was, but over the past 2 years there has been an explosion of interest in this class, last year our teacher only had ASL 1 class with about 20 students in it. This year she has 3 separate ASL 1 classes with about 50 students total (where I am now). For next year 75 students signed up for ASL 1, but surprisingly out school decides that they need to cut it. Both Spanish and German only have one "level 1" class. I don't know all the facts and plan to ask my ASL teacher why they are cutting it on Monday, but this makes me furious. Do they not believe that ASL is just as much of a language as the others?

She is a wonderful teacher and hate to see her go. I just had to vent a little for next years students not being able to experience this amazing class!

Any input on this? Like I said, I don't know all the facts, but I'm not seeing a justification for keeping the other two and cutting ASL?

Thanks guys! :ty:

There doing this at my local junior college to "budget" things.... I think its just as much of a language as the others and IS very important to have. I could go completely deaf one day, how am I supposed to get around? just pen and pencil? that could be tiring, language is our way of expression. It is part of our culture.

In the order of importance and usage in our country, German should be the one cut.

program cuts,, they are doing it everywhere,, even local high schools are dumping ASL classes. My friend's son signed up for ASL 3 and AP music,, guess what,, BOTH ARE GONE -- cut from next year (his senior year) class roster. He doesn't know what to do now,, thinking of going into early college program where he can finish HS at local community college. There, he can earn both HS and college credits at once (double dipping.)

Still it's so sad that many programs are being cut left and right and I agree that ASL classes are important.

In the order of importance and usage in our country, German should be the one cut.

Couldn't agree more! I can see why they want to keep Spanish because we have plenty of Spanish speaking people around the United States. German on the otherhand.... There are probably as many (if not less) German speaking people as there are deaf people in the US.

program cuts,, they are doing it everywhere,, even local high schools are dumping ASL classes. My friend's son signed up for ASL 3 and AP music,, guess what,, BOTH ARE GONE -- cut from next year (his senior year) class roster. He doesn't know what to do now,, thinking of going into early college program where he can finish HS at local community college. There, he can earn both HS and college credits at once (double dipping.)

Still it's so sad that many programs are being cut left and right and I agree that ASL classes are important.

I'm actually doing that for my Junior year (next year) of high school at the University of Minnesota. I'm actually kind of happy because it will be semester classes instead of year long (which I prefer the more faster paced classes).

At any rate, It is sad to see this class go!

I believe German is more prevalent in the areas where the Amish still are. Around here you need a mix of Spanish and French as well as ASL and English. English is basically the 2nd most used language here with Spanish being 1st.

Lee stated what I had meant to bring up already. Still thats not fun that they are cutting ASL in some high schools. I feel most of America is already behind the curve, whether it be in 'core' requirements, or versatiliy in Languages and Vocational arts. Sometimes I feel those in the government who decides where the education budget is each year have no clue about long term consequences or budget cuts to education; nor do I think they care much either. Though not the case with all of them, I feel all they give a darn about is taking care of #1 and nobody else. :aw:

Back