ASL 1 or ASL 2 in College?

justinram11

Reaction score
Hello!

I just wanted to ask your guy's opinions about this. I'm going to be a high school junior next year, but am doing a program called PSEO (post-secondary enrollment option) which lets you go to college while still in high school and earn dual credits. I'm going to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, and was wondering what your advice is. This current school year, I took ASL 1 and loved the course!, tied for my favorite class. However, I need two years of a language, so I will have to take an ASL class at the U of M. I asked my teacher, and she said that I could probably handle an ASL 2 course, but I am still unsure.

How hard is a college level ASL course? I see its 5 credits, so how much time should I expect to have to put into it outside of class?

Also, is there a placement test you have to take? How is this done? Do you just meet up with one of the professors and talk with them in ASL?

Thanks guys!! Really excited about next year!

A five credit course is going to be intense no matter what. Having said that, intensive ASL is great! The best way to learn any language is to immerse yourself in it, and the intensive ASL classes can accelerate your learning and enjoyment of the class much more than a normal 3 credit course.

In my experience, most ASL classes are taught in similar ways (if the teacher is deaf). They almost all use the same text and curriculum (Signing Naturally). Since you are enthusiastic about learning ASL, I don't think it should be difficult at all, and will probably be a lot of fun.

I say go for it!

I agree with Alex on this one. Go for it.

As far as time is concerned....If you have 2.5 hours of classtime involved a week for a 5 hour class, plan on spending about the same amount per week in assignments and outside studying. That is just a general rule, though.

Some ASL programs have a proficiency requirement, some don't. It depends on the program. However, since you are a post-secondary student and don't have college ASL 1 as a pre-req, the professor will probably want to at least meet with you before the first class. Maybe even before you will be allowed to register.

Thanks guys!

I will know more around the first weeks of June and so far am leaning towards trying for ASL 2. I think I do need to go talk to the professors/my councilor there though and see their thoughts.

Thanks again!

A placement test was only for those who have taken other classes before. My experience since I am shy with new people I & the teachers agreed that I should take the ASL1 class to 'brush up & get comfortable'. I have the experience to go straight into the ASL3 class but it wouldn't be good in the long run.
At this point if & when I get back into school I will need to take another placement test to see how much ASL I have actually lost since I am not practicing enough.

Back