Asking for Donations

gnarlydorkette

Reaction score
Hi-- Yes this may be strange of me to ask you people something since I am not that close with most of you but I am asking in hope that you will help me as a Deaf peer.

I am not sure how much some of you keep track of my situation which I mentioned in my blog... so here's the long story short--

Good news: I am going to Turkey for three weeks for an art class at my university!
Bad news: the university found a legal loophole where they aren't mandated to provide me interpreters due to flaws in the ADA laws and geographical location.

So I have found two interpreters who will do the service for free (and save my university from paying 24,000$ which they said that would be the costs for two interpreters) BUT... the problem is that since they volunteered at last minute and they didn't have a chance to save up anything (or have other fininical situations) so I have been seeking donations from high and low places like NAD, Sorenson, local chapter of DCS and many more... and NOBODY replied. I was getting disheartened-- why are the deaf-related organizations ignore a member of the Deaf community?

So I am turning to my friends and peers for donations.And here I am.

I really want to go to Turkey-- to board my experience and knowledge about art since Turkey does have two different world-- one of Western civilization and one of Muslim world-- in ONE city. I will study the history and the influence of both worlds and how both blended into this wonderful city of Istanbul. It is Art 502 "Intermedia" so I will make my own art projects about my experiences/thoughts/journeys in Turkey. I will make several books about my stay in Turkey and my encounters with the people.
I am not asking you to donate everything you have-- the donations are actually FOR my interpreters-- so they can fly and board for free. the total costs for BOTh interpreters are almost 5,000$ (this total is after my professor made several discounts and fee waivers just FOR my interpreters)...
So please find in your heart to donate whatever you can. thank you so much.

(---I am also still open to find an interpreter who is willing to go to Turkey-- however if you are able to afford your own expenses then PLEASE do contact me and I will LOVE to have you.--)

If you wish to make a donation, do go to my blog ( http://gnarlydorkette.blogspot.com ) where there is more information about my situation... there is a "Make a Donation" button on right side of my column.
You also can email me at gnarlydork@gmail.com .

Thank you. :ily:

Success!

I won two scholarships from my university--
500$ from Office of International Programs and 6000$ from Tennes Arthur Moe Scholarship.

This is such a RELIEF since now my pro-bono interpeters can go without being burdened paying for their trip for offering their services to me. Whew~

Now I can focus on packing up and collecting addresses from my friends to mail postcards from Istanbul, Turkey!

Only few weeks away!

Back