Ask me anything...

orione1even

Reaction score
Ok

So CrzyMeg did one of these and thought it was a cool way for people to get to know me and vice versa. I am giving her credit as she has already given me crap and called me a copycat...lol.

So feel free to ask me anything you want. Questions about learning ASL, hearing people, my work, whatever. If it's a personal question, that's fine but be prepared for a wiseass answer to follow a wiseass question...If it's a deep or philosophical question, please keep in mind that I may or may not have any idea what I'm talking about on any given topic. Just so you know. lol

So AD, I'd like to hear from you! What do you want to know?

Any deaf people in your family?

If no, why do you wish to be an alldeaf member?

Any deaf people in your family?

If no, why do you wish to be an alldeaf member?

Thanks for kicking things off Bott!~~

No, there are no deaf people in my family that I am aware of. I came to AD because I started learning ASL. I had always thought it was a beautiful language and wanted to communicate with people who were using it, but I never knew enough. So I decided to learn. I thought AD would be a great way to learn more about deaf culture and hopefully to make some new friends.

all right , what do you hope to gain from ASL?? and i don't mind wiseass remarks cuz i'm FULL of them!

all right , what do you hope to gain from ASL?? and i don't mind wiseass remarks cuz i'm FULL of them!

The most immediate goal for me in learning ASL is to communicate with deaf people. As in most languages, the more you learn, the more little surprises you get and the cooler it gets. But for know, it's just to be able to communicate and carry on a coherent conversation in ASL.

Oh, I saw a guy interpret a song in ASL and thought it was AMAZING. So someday I sould love to be able to do something like that. Just another way to share my love of music with the world.

:ty: for the question!

What prompt you to learn ASL and what is your goal once u become fluent in learning it. Do you want to become an interpreter and which field e.g Education Health VRS etc...

Have you ever been overseas?? If so where?? If not where would yu go if you had the opportunity??

Since you live in Texas would it intrest you to go to Mexico and learn their way of sign language? eg South America ect...

Has the difficulty of learning ASL made you at times frustrated, feeling like you wanna rip all your hair out, or at least driven you to the bottle (like it almost has done to me)?

What prompt you to learn ASL and what is your goal once u become fluent in learning it. Do you want to become an interpreter and which field e.g Education Health VRS etc... I answered some of your question above but I'll elaborate. Once fluent, the cool thing for me would be the fact that I could communicate freely and openly about any topic with a deaf of hoh person. I am not pursuing a career in interpreting as I have had my fill of college and have a stable career that I like. Although, I would love to someday interpret music and song for the deaf and hoh, and any I've also found that any skill you enjoy that can potentially make you money (ie-interpreter) is worth knowing well.

Have you ever been overseas?? If so where?? If not where would yu go if you had the opportunity??
I have been to Canada, although I don't remember much other than the amazing representation of "fall" in the colors of leaves. I spent a summer studying in London. We stayed at King's College by Waterloo station and it was the most amazing time of my life! I took a class on Arthurian Legend. We got to see Glastonbury Abbey, Castle Tintagel (wonderful), and so many other incredible sights. That trip is a whole other thread in itself and much of it would require an age disclaimer. :giggle: I've always said that one day I'd get back and make England my home.

:ty: for the great questions and trip down memory lane!

are you working? :)

Phillips! Yes, I work for a managed services company who does network management and internet services for student housing, condos, and apartments and resorts around the US.

I run the help desk and am a Jr Network Administrator. I also am a semi-professional musician. I play 6 instruments, although mostly guitar and bass.

Since you live in Texas would it intrest you to go to Mexico and learn their way of sign language? eg South America ect...

That's an interesting question, Deb. I would, yes, but I'd certainly wait until I know more. I do pick up on languages rather quickly (whoever made me saw fit to bless my language and artistic side but severely hindered my math and science quota) but I would want to have a firm grasp on sentance construction and grammar. Plus I really don't want to say the wrong thing and get stabbed someplace whithout universal health care...:shock:

Are you really afraid of Mexico? We used to live El Paso 9 years. I thought Juarez is great. Food and medicine are very cheap in Mexico because of government subsidy.

Has the difficulty of learning ASL made you at times frustrated, feeling like you wanna rip all your hair out, or at least driven you to the bottle (like it almost has done to me)?

Ahh, SC...Fishing for explosion stories, eh? I have a lot of these but they mostly involve road rage. Actually, I'm learning via the web and not formal classes at the moment. This being the case, I can always just close my browser. I have not gotten to a point of complete frustration yet, though I'm sure, as with anything, one is around the corner somewhere.

As for the bottle part...it would take a LOT more than that. I used to drink heavily, but have not had a drink in quite some time nad am certainly the better for it. I try to be as patient as possible but no one is perfect. At this point, ASL has just been fun and exciting, and not frustrating.

Excellent avatar, btw!!!

Last edited:
How long have you been living in Texas?

Were you born in Texas?

I've lived in Texas for...(counting and getting depressed by age) 22 years now. I was born in Illinois and moved to Texas with my mom shortly after my dad passed away from heart attack.

Are you really afraid of Mexico? We used to live El Paso 9 years. I thought Juarez is great. Food and medicine are very cheap in Mexico because of government subsidy.

Botts, I'm not really scared, per se. The previous comment was just me trying to be a little funny. But living in Texas there's a good deal of Mexico here already, especially in my neighborhood. I'm with you on the medicine thing. Cheap medicine rocks! But I haven't been down there in a while. I should go.

Does Ginko Biloba really aid memory? I'm thinking of giving it a try cuz my memory is shot! I'm only 30 but my mind is fading fast...hope i don't actually forget that i asked you this question..:|

I know you love cooking. What is your favorite recipe?

Megan...my favorite thing to cook doesn't have a recipe per se. Meaning I don't put exact amounts of everything each time, but it's pretty much the same. It's my Chicken Fried Steak and Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

Secret, I think, is to marinate the cube steak for at least 2-3 hours and I like to batter mine twice for extra crispy.

Marinade is simple: Lea and Perrins, Montreal Steak seasoning, Season salt, minced garlic.

For the breading just flour but mixed in with lots of pepper, more Montreal steak seasoning, season salt. Simple egg wash makes the meat sticky to absorb the batter. I dip once - let sit - dip twice and pan fry.

Simple cream gravy on top makes delicious.

Garlic Mash is easy, just leave some skin on potatoes and mash with milk, butter, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and galric powder to taste. I also put some chives in mine.

That's it, Meg! Enjoy some good ol' Texas Home Cookin'!!!

Back