Articles from the Justice Department to police about deaf/HoH

Kaitin

Reaction score
I found these but didn't want to put Christian/BergC's topic off (he asked a question and these don't answer). But they are important and intersting

- Communicating with People Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing - ADA Guide for Law Enforcement Officers

- Practical Suggestions and others

- MODEL POLICY FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT ON COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING

- Study Reveals Unique Issues Faced by Deaf Victims of Sexual Assault
- Service providers and deaf community members agreed that law enforcement must improve its methods for communicating with the deaf community, whether they are victims, witnesses, or suspects. They also suggested that police officers need training, interpreters, and more clearly defined agency policies. For example, although this research project revealed that the Minneapolis Police Department has policies for locating an interpreter, its officers know very little about how to identify if a person is deaf or how to communicate with him or her in the field.

Despite these challenges, the researchers regard the Minneapolis Police Department as a model for other jurisdictions when it comes to serving the deaf community.
Christian, aren't you in the Minneapolis Police Department? :)

- First response to victims of crime who have a disability

Kaitin,

The information is fantastic!! :ty: for posting this! I see Christian has not and probably won't ever respond to his thread, which is typical for a potential police officer and "shoot first, ask questions later."

Pete, YW :)

But maybe you didn't see the first page of Christian/BergC's thread? He answers many questions with several replies. He answers, we ask more questions. Again he answers and we ask more. Repeat and repeat. :D I ask him so many questions and he responds with patient answers.

Probably he will respond again, but he is busy as police and ASL student. Maybe he needs time for work and school and then returns. I hope.

:)

Ooh, this is blogworthy. Im going to bookmark, do some research and blog. Very nice post Kaitin!

Ooh, this is blogworthy. Im going to bookmark, do some research and blog. Very nice post Kaitin!

:ty:, Dixie. Would you give the link to your blog? I would like to read more research and thought about the topic. :)

Back