Article about Black ASL

I have already saw some videos and discussions about the Black sign language that was different for the original ASL. They were in a different school for Black children in the old days. That was a long time ago.

For me, I remembered in the late 60, after I graduated from mainstream school I learned how to sign Ameslan which was a little different but close to ASL. Mind you, it is not a black sign language here.

So above which the OP post, it is repost. **smile**

It's news to me, but I didn't go to school with Blacks. And have only met a few of them, (deaf) but we conversed seemingly well...I did not notice much difference.

I read that many black Deaf people know both versions of asl (I am vastly oversimplifying: I don't mean to suggest that there is really only one black asl and one white asl) because they have needed to communicate with the larger Deaf world. As opposed to many white Deaf people who don't know the black asl.

It makes sense: people in a minority often end up learning more about the majority than the other way around. Like how many Deaf people know both asl and English, but many hearing people don't know any asl. (Sorry if I'm using any incorrect words here, and please correct me if there's a better way to say any of this.)

The Black Deaf students were isolated and integrated in their own black school which was the only black deaf school in Alabama. The name of the school was Alabama School for the Negro Deaf and Blind in Talledega, Alabama. They did not know there was ASL or Ameslan being signed by the white Deaf students in other schools. I had watched the former students (on video) who were all grown up (adults) talking about their past signing quite different than the original ASL or Ameslan. That is how they learn how to sign from a Deaf Black teacher, I think. It was ages ago.

If suppose translate ASL both interneral Bi sign language country american country, poor people have problem on have learn it ASL, I learn Brazil :) I have learn it bit Brazil :) I love Brazil interesting, I tell you, Brazil my friend sign language i can teach sign language ASL :) I believe visual see on people learn ASL and both white and no matter black world many people learn sign language :)

Wirelessly posted

Smithtr said:
If suppose translate ASL both interneral Bi sign language country american country, poor people have problem on have learn it ASL, I learn Brazil :) I have learn it bit Brazil :) I love Brazil interesting, I tell you, Brazil my friend sign language i can teach sign language ASL :) I believe visual see on people learn ASL and both white and no matter black world many people learn sign language :)

Yes that's right, Smithtr, I agree with you. Despite the various different sign languages around the world, we all hold a common bond and have a way to understand each other regardless of the differences. Unlike spoken languages.

paris fsl mostly sign with algerian's they have some different but mostly fsl...if you go paris there restruant run by french /algerian really worth visit you only allowed do fsl there.

Back