Arrrrrrgggghhhhh!! Need help with hooking up

EyesBlueDeaf

Reaction score
Arrrrrrgggghhhhh!! Need help with hooking up Linksys cable modem / Sorenson D-Link / Linksys Wireless router.
My computer was acting up so I figured that it needed to be cleaned / vacuumed inside.. I didnt bother to mark the wires before disconnecting all routers.. now I cannot get everything hooked up/ working again. Shhh right I am able to get on my neighbor's wireless signal :)..
So can anyone give me step by step to make them work again?

Why three routers? Your gonna confuse the system big time! That linksys cable modem has router in it, so is Linksys wireless and Sorenson router.

Why three routers? Your gonna confuse the system big time! That linksys cable modem has router in it, so is Linksys wireless and Sorenson router.
That's what I have been using the whole time.

cable modem has a connection for the cable line which linksys wireless and sorenson d-link don't. There is a computer upstairs in my office where my daughter had taken over.. so I got me a wireless laptop along with linksys wireless modem. And with an addition to it is sorenson d-link.

What would you suggest?

I would suggest remove permanently Dlink router from Sorenson,

Possible temporarily remove wireless router, then set up again on your cable modem.

Depending whether this cable modem has wireless feature or not, if it does, then forget the linksys wireless router. But if not wireless modem, then you would want to turn your Linksys wireless router into stand alone wireless accesspoint and switch.

That's what I have been using the whole time.

cable modem has a connection for the cable line which linksys wireless and sorenson d-link don't. There is a computer upstairs in my office where my daughter had taken over.. so I got me a wireless laptop along with linksys wireless modem. And with an addition to it is sorenson d-link.

What would you suggest?

I would suggest remove permanently Dlink router from Sorenson,

Possible temporarily remove wireless router, then set up again on your cable modem.

Depending whether this cable modem has wireless feature or not, if it does, then forget the linksys wireless router. But if not wireless modem, then you would want to turn your Linksys wireless router into stand alone wireless accesspoint and switch.

yeah- but what about the cable line - where do i hook it up to?.. that's why i still need the linksys cable modem which is not a wirless :(

yeah- but what about the cable line - where do i hook it up to?.. that's why i still need the linksys cable modem which is not a wirless :(

For 2nd router as wireless then you need disable on DHCP server then it will become act like access point.

Not all Lynksys cable modems have routers while there are two interfaces it doesn't mean they are routers. Perhaps some models do but I wouldnt say they all are routers. Also this was a working configuration and all EBD is asking about is to reconnect the existing equipment

EBD... The cable connects to the lynksys cable modem via the F type connector. It's a round threaded connector just like on a cable tv. There is also either an ethernet connection or USB. I'm not sure which one you would use but it's most likley the ethernet connection. If that's the case then you would plug the ethernet connection from the Lynksys cable modem into the WAN connection of your Sorenson router. The Sorenson router also has LAN ports on it. I belive there are 4. You would plug your computers or your wireless access points into those LAN ports. As DHB mentioned there are other ways to do this but what I am suggesting may get you back up and running... Next time... MARK THE CABLES... lol... Also if you give the model numbers of your equipment that would help determine what exactly you have and how to correctly connect and configure the devices.

Yes, this is one way and would work. My goal is to simplified the system as possible in case she decided to move, the more stuff, the more confusion for ordinary people like her.

FYI, based on my experience especially with Videoconferencing system, the more routers involves, they increases the latency and that is something we would want to avoid this,

If you all look at my system, your gonna to be hellish confused, LOL
EBD... The cable connects to the lynksys cable modem via the F type connector. It's a round threaded connector just like on a cable tv. There is also either an ethernet connection or USB. I'm not sure which one you would use but it's most likley the ethernet connection. If that's the case then you would plug the ethernet connection from the Lynksys cable modem into the WAN connection of your Sorenson router. The Sorenson router also has LAN ports on it. I belive there are 4. You would plug your computers or your wireless access points into those LAN ports. As DHB mentioned there are other ways to do this but what I am suggesting may get you back up and running... Next time... MARK THE CABLES... lol... Also if you give the model numbers of your equipment that would help determine what exactly you have and how to correctly connect and configure the devices.

Yes, this is one way and would work. My goal is to simplified the system as possible in case she decided to move, the more stuff, the more confusion for ordinary people like her.

FYI, based on my experience especially with Videoconferencing system, the more routers involves, they increases the latency and that is something we would want to avoid this,

If you all look at my system, your gonna to be hellish confused, LOL
Nah.. your system would not confuse me... I do this for a living.

As far as routers are concerned the quantity in any given network is dependent on how many segments the traffic must cross. The goal of the router is to do exactly that.... route traffic betewen different networks segments. Most of the newer routers operate at wire speed therefore latency is minimal or non-existant. Having said that I'm sure some people overuse them.

From my experience, I have never seen a modem that is also a router. The job of the modem is to modulate and demodulate which is where it's name comes from MOdulate DEModulate. I'm sure you know these things DHB and I am just posting this for general info for others to hopefully read and learn from.

Back