Arizona to Secede?

And from the same article as linked above:

Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union, though he said he sees no reason why Texas should do that.

according to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission, Texas negotiated the power to divide into four additional states at some point if it wanted to but not the right to secede.

he said: "I'm just not real sure you're a bunch of right-wing extremists. But if you are, we're with you."

The right to secede is non-negotiable ... its a Constitutional Right. That's why it was never negotiated.

A poll of 500 Texans released Friday showed that 31 percent believe (incorrectly) the state retains the right to form an independent country. And another 18 percent said, given the opportunity, they would vote for Texas to secede.

The fact is, the treaty under which Texas joined the U.S. provides that it could be divided into five separate states. But it is not empowered to leave the union, a question that the Civil War seems to have settled once and for all.

Despite state mythology, Texas lacks right to secede | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Politics | The Dallas Morning News

A constitutional right? Please point me to the section in the constitution that provides for that.

A poll of 500 Texans released Friday showed that 31 percent believe (incorrectly) the state retains the right to form an independent country. And another 18 percent said, given the opportunity, they would vote for Texas to secede.

The fact is, the treaty under which Texas joined the U.S. provides that it could be divided into five separate states. But it is not empowered to leave the union, a question that the Civil War seems to have settled once and for all.

Despite state mythology, Texas lacks right to secede | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Politics | The Dallas Morning News

A constitutional right? Please point me to the section in the constitution that provides for that.

already provided ... post 97

After the Civil War, were any Confederate soldiers tried for treason?

Every secessions run the risk of being crushed.

Peaceful or not.

So, one of the members of the European Union will never be able to secede? Or is it like a gang, you get in but can never get out?

already provided ... post 97

Try post 102. You are debunked once again. I guess there are some Georgians who fit into that percentage of Texans that mistakenly believe that Texas has the right to sucede.

Post 97 does not provide the section of the Constitution that outlines sucession as a Constitutional Right.

Try post 102. You are debunked once again. I guess there are some Georgians who fit into that percentage of Texans that mistakenly believe that Texas has the right to sucede.

Post 97 does not provide the section of the Constitution that outlines sucession as a Constitutional Right.

No, it provides quotations from the Declaration of Independence.

So, why were no Confederate soldiers tried for treason?

10th amendment to the United States Constitution:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

No, it provides quotations from the Declaration of Independence.

So, why were no Confederate soldiers tried for treason?

10th amendment to the United States Constitution:

What does treason have to do with the fact that Texas does not have the legal right to sucede, and succession is not a Constitutional right?

Uhhh...Constitutional rights are provided for in the Constitution, not the Declaration of Independence. You claimed that sucession was a Constitutional right. So I will again ask...specifically which section of the Constitution provides for the right of sucession? Particularly after Texas signed away any right to sucede in the War of 1812. The 10th Amendment does not provide for sucession as a Constitutional right, either. Are you posting again without reading first?

Poll: One-Third Of Georgia Republicans Approve Of Secession
A new Daily Kos/Research 2000 poll finds that a third of Georgia Republicans approve of the idea of seceding from the United States.

The pollster asked: "Do you think Georgia would be better off as an independent nation or as part of the United States of America?" The top-line here is United States 68%, independence 27% -- but among Republicans, it's a closer U.S. 52%, independence 43%.

Respondents were then asked: "Would you approve or disapprove of Georgia leaving the United States?" Here the overall answer is approve 18%, disapprove 76% -- but among Republicans, it's approve 32%, disapprove 63%.

Look on the bright side: The Union cause is actually much stronger among Republicans here than it is in Texas, where a previous poll showed Texas GOPers evenly divided on independence, and a majority approving of Gov. Rick Perry's suggestions about seceding.

it provided no such thing.

because we are not merciless like Europeans (they were not traitors to the Constitution)

you might want to read more on it. selective reading. you make it so easy for me. that's how I "pwn" you all the time.

Show me where the Constitution specifically forbids secession Mr. Pwner :naughty:

While your at it, why not research how many states have ratified their legislation in regards to state sovereignty (recently).

Doubtful. Almost no state receives more than it gives. Texas pays in way more than it gets in return. We are 49th out of 50 in that ratio.

Where's your data for that, the most recent article I could find in 2006 claims TX gets back 94 cents on the dollar, in comparison NJ got back 55 and NY 79.

And there were a heck of a lot of states were over $1 (they got back more than they paid in)

http://www.taxfoundation.org/UserFiles/Image/Blog/ftsbs-large.jpg

Middlebury Institute/Zogby Poll: One in Five Americans Believe States Have the Right to Secede
Survey finds 18% would support a secessionist effort in their state
The level of support for the right of secession was consistent in every region in the country, though the percentage was slightly higher in the South (26%) and the East (24%).
Politically, liberal thinkers were much more likely to favor the right to secession for states and regions, as 32% of mainline liberals agreed with the concept. Among the very liberal the support was only slightly less enthusiastic - 28% said they favored such a right. Meanwhile, just 17% of mainline conservatives thought it should exist as an option for states or regions of the nation.
Asked whether they would support a secessionist movement in their own state, 18% said they would, with those in the South most likely to say they would back such an effort. In the South, 24% said they would support such an effort, while 15% in the West and Midwest said the same. Here, too, younger adults were more likely than older adults to be supportive - 35% of those under age 30 would support secession in their state, compared to just 17% of those over age 65. Among African Americans, 33% said they would support secession, compared to just 15% of white adults. The more education a respondent had, the less likely they were to support secession - as 38% of those with less than a high school diploma would support it, compared to just 10% of those with a college degree.

it provided no such thing.

because we are not merciless like Europeans

you might want to read more on it. selective reading. you make it so easy for me. that's how I "pwn" you all the time.

Good morning, Jiro. Even half asleep, it's easy, huh?:laugh2:

Show me where the Constitution specifically forbids secession Mr. Pwner :naughty:

While your at it, why not research how many states have ratified their legislation in regards to state sovereignty (recently).

and show me where it specifically allowed secession. It is neither :)

Supreme Court ruling back in Lincoln Administration was pretty clear on this issue and it has remained unchallenged since then. :wave:

You stated that it was a Constitutional right. That means it has to be provided for in the Constitution. Can't backpedal your way out of that one simply by saying "Show me where it forbids it." According to what you claim, it must specifically provide for it.

And you have already been shown where Texas signed away their right to sucede during the War of 1812.

State Sovereignty is an entirely different topic, and one that I doubt you understand any better than the topic of right to sucede.:giggle:

and show me where it specifically allowed secession. It is neither :)

Supreme Court ruling back in Lincoln Administration was pretty clear on this issue and it has remained unchallenged since then. :wave:

:wave: Not even one Confederate charged with Treason?

You stated that it was a Constitutional right. That means it has to be provided for in the Constitution. Can't backpedal your way out of that one simply by saying "Show me where it forbids it." According to what you claim, it must specifically provide for it.

And you have already been shown where Texas signed away their right to sucede during the War of 1812.

State Sovereignty is an entirely different topic, and one that I doubt you understand any better than the topic of right to sucede.:giggle:

did you mean secede?

Back