argggghh!

set2

Reaction score
I was on a plane and my ear started to itch so I took out my hearing aid
($2900 Oticom SUMO DM) and put it in my carry on bag. Well, I get home , empty the bag and NO HEARING AID! :eek: I have contacted the airline and so far no luck. I am sick to my stomach about this. :barf: This will be a very expensive lesson. So folks, learn from my mistake and keep them in your ears. Thanks for reading.

I was on a plane and my ear started to itch so I took out my hearing aid
($2900 Oticom SUMO DM) and put it in my carry on bag. Well, I get home , empty the bag and NO HEARING AID! :eek: I have contacted the airline and so far no luck. I am sick to my stomach about this. :barf: This will be a very expensive lesson. So folks, learn from my mistake and keep them in your ears. Thanks for reading.

Oh my gosh! I hope you find them! Was the hearing aid by any chance under
warranty? You might be able to get a replacement, but I think you might have to pay a fee but not $2900. :eek3:

yeah I make sure my hearing aid definitely gets into either my pocket of my jeans or pocket of my backpack when flying... sometimes i'll just leave it behind my ear, but the earmold is sticking out of my ear (earmold in ear, then my ear hurts because of the altitude and stuff).

I have a box just for the HA. I then put the box in the carry on bag in a seperate compartment. No chance of it getting lost, maybe it was stolen?

set,

I'm really sorry about this. cdmeggars and deafdude both have good suggestions about what you can do the next time you fly. To make your hearing aid even more secure when traveling, you might want to put it in a Tupperware container with a snap on lid to make sure there is no chance of it falling out of a compartment, etc.

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice on the box. I am going to get a box,something bright colored, to put my hearing aid in, when i finally get a replacement. I am also going to put my contact information on the box. I still have two more airport numbers to call but most likely I will have to start trying hearing aids for my unimplanted ear. The lost hearing aid was giving me poor quality sound and very little speech discrimination so it might be worth trying something else.

I did have travel insurance so I am going to check with them to see if I have any coverage. I did take out a policy that covered electronics because I had my lap top with me. It won't hurt to ask.

I have always had hearing aid insurance to cover situations such as this. Perhaps when you get a new aid, you can investigate coverage. Sorry this happened to you - it's rough to be without!

Wow set! I am so sorry this happened to you. I was so afraid I was going to lose my hearing aid on the plane as well (my ears were itchy) I also took mine out and put them in my hearing aid case they came with, and I always make sure I zip my bag so nothing falls out! I hope something can be done for you! :hug:

The lost hearing aid was giving me poor quality sound and very little speech discrimination so it might be worth trying something else.

This could be a blessing in disguise.

Set2:
The lost hearing aid was giving me poor quality sound and very little speech discrimination so it might be worth trying something else.

As was said previously, sounds like a blessing in disguise. If I lost my hearing aid like that, I don't know what I would do.

One time when I was in middle school playing touch football, I put my HAs in my pockets and played (b/c of sweat etc.) when I got back into my classroom, they weren't in my pockets. I freaked out and ran outside, it was a huge grass field. My teacher asked me why, and 5 minutes later, my principal came out with the entire school! we all lined up in a row, went down and searched the entire field that day. Never found them. It was bittersweet b/c of the caring and support my school gave me, but terrible b/c I couldn't face my mother when I got home. It was a harsh lesson that has stuck with me. I was very emotional and distraught while searching that field. They were analog HAs so I made the switch to digitals the next week haha

Back