"Are you Saved"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzy

Reaction score
Why it is so important for people to say this? What make them believe they are saved when I see them do sin over again and again then tell others "ur not saved".

Bingo! They wanted to make themselve look good instead of being true to themselves!

I saw a few bumper stickers that said, "Jesus saves but Moses invests."
No offense meant, but a few will be offended to no end anyway.

It's easy for a person to say they are "saved" simply by proclaiming a faith in Jesus Christ. But I can put a sticker that says "fresh" on a carton of rotten milk, and you know as well as I do, it's not going to make the milk turn good again.

I am not sure why some people dwell on this concept of being "saved". Yes, God has incredible ways of redeeming human beings who truly want to change, but from what I can see, this has a lot more to do with how we go forward in our behavior and the way we regard our fellow man than what label we wear.

I have heard many Christians say that salvation is not about good acts, but the funny thing is, from what I read in the Bible, Jesus' entire message was about being good to one another.

Very true, about people been saying, I ve been saved. Now, somewhere in 1st or 2nd corinthians talked about 3 categories, 1) natural man 2) carnal christians 3) spiritual christians, now, in category 2 as today called "fat baby". Has christ in them, but not grow. Christians will be judged by their works, and rewards is follow, not relating if heaven or hell, bec nothing separate the love of Christ. Jesus spoke to the crowd and explained the meaning to the disciples about the soil as of our heart, what kind of land is ur heart represent. All those who are christians will go to heaven, regard, but, but, not all of them will reign with christ. There's so much in the bible talked about it. Only way to saved from wrath of God is thru the blood of christ alone. Trying to live up Gods standard is like trying to wash ur clothes without a detergants. Stain remains, the best detergant to cleans us is the blood of christ. Yes, many christians who do not live what God calls us to do, will suffer loss of rewards, not salvation.

MorriganTait said:
...I have heard many Christians say that salvation is not about good acts, but the funny thing is, from what I read in the Bible, Jesus' entire message was about being good to one another.
"Good acts" do not save people; only Jesus can save.

However, "good acts" by saved Christians are the expected results of salvation.

Jesus' message to people was repent and be saved, and then do good works.

One way to put it succinctly might be "good acts flowing from the right reasons."

Reba said:
"Good acts" do not save people; only Jesus can save.

However, "good acts" by saved Christians are the expected results of salvation.

Jesus' message to people was repent and be saved, and then do good works.
So good actions do not "cause" anything.
Excuse the rest of us for breathing.

Beowulf said:
So good actions do not "cause" anything.
I didn't say that. I said that good actions do not save anyone, meaning good actions do not save anyone's soul from the penalty of sin, which is an eternity in hell.

Reba said:
Jesus' message to people was repent and be saved

I personally find this interpretation disturbing, and it seems to me, to dismiss the entire essence of his message. He doesn't strike me as much of an elitist.

MorriganTait said:
I personally find this interpretation disturbing, and it seems to me, to dismiss the entire essence of his message. He doesn't strike me as much of an elitist.

LOL!! No, Jesus wasn't an elitist for the many reasons why we all see problems in the RCC (especially) today, not to mention our own individual churches. Jesus flat out called the church leaders in His day (The pharisees and saducees), "hypocrites, vipers, wolves in sheep's clothing..." among other things. No, Jesus was not an elitist and it's not disturbing...

I believe what MorriganTait meant was that Jesus was not a snob.
I cannot help but agree with that.

Jesus is not elitist, not a snob. His arms were wide-open on the cross, inviting everyone to come to Him. He turns away no one. We don't have to prove our goodness or worthiness to Him. We don't have anything in us that is worthy enough. He accepts us in our rotten guilty selves.

Not to be putting words into MorriganTait's mouth, but I further think what her intention with that "elitist" statement was that Jesus wouldn't say, "I am the only way. If you give yourselves up to me, you are saved. If you choose not to do that, you are eternally damned."
That would be EXTREMELY elitist and snobbish, so it looks like that is not what he meant in his teachings.

Sometimes it seems to be misinterpreted towards some people if they are saved. .

Some would think of their own personal security if they feel safe from something. . Probably best yet to describe salvation could be:
  • Are you walking with Jesus?
  • Do you know Jesus personally? (not about Him but a personal relationship with Him?)
  • Are you following Jesus?
  • Have you invited Jesus into your heart?
List probably could go on and on in other ways to make it clear to people what being "saved" means. .

1purple_panda said:
Sometimes it seems to be misinterpreted towards some people if they are saved. .

Some would think of their own personal security if they feel safe from something. . Probably best yet to describe salvation could be:
  • Are you walking with Jesus?
  • Do you know Jesus personally? (not about Him but a personal relationship with Him?)
  • Are you following Jesus?
  • Have you invited Jesus into your heart?
List probably could go on and on in other ways to make it clear to people what being "saved" means. .

Yes I do on every list, but why do I need to invited Jesus into my heart when He is already in my heart since I was a child.

I was probably misguide/mislead by many Christians on this part.

I keep thinking about those people who were dead long before Jesus was born, they do not know Jesus then so how can they be "saved"?

Jazzy--Dante showed one way of dealing with that in the Inferno. In his case, he had those people put in a "tormentless" part of Hell, but not in Heaven.

I disagree with that. God is beyond time, and I notice in the first chapter of the Gospel of John that Jesus is described as having existence even at the moment of creation. I don't pretend to know on what basis God would make His decisions, but given those two pieces of information, I suspect he is much fairer than a lot of people would like to admit.

Rose Immortal said:
Jazzy--Dante showed one way of dealing with that in the Inferno. In his case, he had those people put in a "tormentless" part of Hell, but not in Heaven.

I disagree with that. God is beyond time, and I notice in the first chapter of the Gospel of John that Jesus is described as having existence even at the moment of creation. I don't pretend to know on what basis God would make His decisions, but given those two pieces of information, I suspect he is much fairer than a lot of people would like to admit.

I hope so for everyone else's sake. :)

jazzy said:
I keep thinking about those people who were dead long before Jesus was born, they do not know Jesus then so how can they be "saved"?
Those people looked forward with trust that God would send the Savior that He promised. God accepted that faith as accepting Jesus even before Jesus was born on earth in a physical body.

Chapter 11 in Hebrews gives some good examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back