Are you patient with new/slow signers?

Why not? We always appreciate people wanting to learn ASL. We always complain that there aren't enough people who know ASL. I want to help anyone whom I cross path with feel good about learning ASL.

Why not? We always appreciate people wanting to learn ASL. We always complain that there aren't enough people who know ASL. I want to help anyone whom I cross path with feel good about learning ASL.

I'm a new signer that needs to know ASL and I think I do ok. But I don't have people where I live to practice with.

I'm still learning but I've come across native signers who sign like they're on speed, pretty cool really. Also signers who almost exclusively fingerspell as fast as they blink. They're all different but most deafies I've met have been accommodating and understanding, whether is be teaching me new signs or blatantly ignoring me. It's also good if you, yourself have patience.

patient with new learners unless in hurry then not patient with anyone...when you new to it you do full signs but as time go on signs get shortened...try stay with deaf family few days,i know of deaf families who do this don't cost much.

It depends on who they are or where they are. I didn't mind my friend who used to work in my office. She's a lot of fun that makes it easier for me to teach her and have good chats. actually she made me forget that I ve been teaching her. I think it's important to have a good chat rather than student to teacher. Some people I didn't have patient :(.

If I am having a direct conversion with a slow signer, I have patience. If a slow signer interrupts my conversation, I don't have patience.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I agree with caz. I do my best to be patient with new signers, but if I'm in a hurry, I have patience for no one. Also, if I'm interrupted. I was talking with my roommate about where she wanted to sit, we were in a dining hall, clearly trying to hurry, and a kid taps me on the shoulder, takes five minutes to introduce himself, then leaves, and never talks to us again.......

That is why it is important for new and slow signers to go to the Deaf class where you can learn how to sign properly. It is like learning how to drive a car with an instructor because an instructor is patient and trying to teach him or her how to drive properly.

Once you learn how to sign ASL or any sign language from different countries, then you might have a chance to communicate with Deaf people at Deaf events or involve in the Deaf communities.

This is what trouble me when someone want to learn to sign from online ASL lessons which is not the way to go. You have to learn to sign from someone living like Deaf person or a teacher (instructor), not on websites or online ASL lessons.

You will learn faster if you concentrated on learning how to sign properly and to learn about Deaf Culture. Deaf Culture is our perspective as a Deaf person's life. We depend on ASL so that we can understand visually better than lipreading and not have to talk funny voices to hearing people.

So please, just go to the Deaf class and learn how to do that. You will be glad that you can attend in the most rewarding way of learning to sign properly. :)

unfortunately I have seen deaf people take piss out of level 1 learners I get so cross and ashamed when it happens

Back