Are there any nurse's here that are hoh/deaf?

Ksnurse2012

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are nurses that are hoh/deaf. I am a nurse and going to lose my hearing, are there any nurse's that still work in the field and use asl?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I had a doctor that was HOH and I wish I could remember his name as I really liked having a Dr. that knew what it is like to be hoh.

I am not a nurse, however I am a Physicians Assistant. I work with a Deaf RN and a HoH RN who both use ASL. The only difference here is that the RN and myself have C.I.'s and the HoH RN has hearing aids. I'm not sure if these are an option for you, however if I can be a Deaf Physicians Assistant, I'm sure you can be a Deaf nurse. It won't be easy, but anything is possible if you dedicate yourself. :)

I am not a nurse, however I am a Physicians Assistant. I work with a Deaf RN and a HoH RN who both use ASL. The only difference here is that the RN and myself have C.I.'s and the HoH RN has hearing aids. I'm not sure if these are an option for you, however if I can be a Deaf Physicians Assistant, I'm sure you can be a Deaf nurse. It won't be easy, but anything is possible if you dedicate yourself. :)

I was a health aide and there where a few other heath aides that were HOH too. I had few nurses tell my boss that I was very good at my job.

I'm not a nurse but I am HoH living as an independent adult with my own job, house, car, etc....

So with that, my only advice is to at least check with your manager(s) and coworkers on what options you would have. I don't know exactly what your job entails but if it requires constant voice communication that can create issues. I did think about being a nurse before but decided not to since in an emergency situation I could miss out on critical information (was that 100ccs or 1000ccs?) and someone could die on me.

Is there some kind of job function you can do that would not require so much voice communication? For example, maybe you can move to a related position doing medical data entry, or some kind of job that you can do without having to talk so much?

Good luck!

When I was in high school, a deaf doctor gave a talk to my class. I recalled that she was at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Chicago area. I don't know if she is still there or not. It was almost 20 years ago that I crossed path with that deaf doctor. I didn't bother to keep in touch or take notes. I wish I did.

They do sell amplified stethescopes! If you're worried about working in an emergency situation and hearing things promptly, then you don't have to work as a nurse in an area that gets emergencies. I don't think that A Nihilist's situation description means you can't be a nurse.

I don't mean to dig up this thread, but I have a question- I am pursuing my CNA in the state of Utah, and in my classes I am required to take 50 vital signs before I take my test- and, in my skills test, I am required to do tasks in taking vital signs that use a stethoscope. From what my instructor said, I'm also required to do it with a manual blood pressure cuff and stethoscope. I can't hear anything with the stethoscope, and this is where I'm getting problems. I work as a CNA (I have a three month period to get my certification from becoming employed) and at the facility I use a visual blood pressure machine. When I asked my instructor in the class she said that while they did have one at one point, it is now gone since it didn't work, and there's nothing she can lend me since we're required to bring our own vital sign equipment. Do any of you know of what I can do? Shelling out 300 dollars for a visual blood pressure machine is steep for a student to afford, especially if I will only be using it for the class and my skills test- after that, I won't need my own equipment, since the facility I work at provides it. I want to ask my work if I can borrow one, but I'm not sure if they can let me use it. My friend is an OT and offered to let me try out her amplified stethoscope, and if that works I can get one for about 150$- which is still steep, but manageable. I worry that even if its amplified, I won't be able to hear it. Any experiences with the amplified stethoscopes? I have a moderate/severe loss.

Can't help with your testing, but your state's voc rehab may help you buy an amplified stethoscope.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Back