Are parents getting the info they need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't they be?
Isn't that what all the discussion is about: Making sure the deaf child will get all the possibilities to communicate.?

Thanks for answering my question.

All my life people (teachers, peers, and family members) were always bringing up my ability to communicate or not. Sometimes that gets tiring, ya know? It is probably why I am happier around my deaf friends cuz we can talk about other things just like hearing people talk about different things when hanging out.

All my life people (teachers, peers, and family members) were always bringing up my ability to communicate or not. Sometimes that gets tiring, ya know? It is probably why I am happier around my deaf friends cuz we can talk about other things just like hearing people talk about different things when hanging out.
AH, OK,
But your question "I guess when people hear the word "deaf or deafness", the first thoughts are related to communication and speech skills?" Is a guess ending with a question mark.
But I can imaging that kind of focus is tiresome. On the other hand. No focus would be detrimental... or could be....

However, I was thinking along the lines of parents who hear their child is deaf. For the child I hope communication comes first!

AH, OK,
But your question "I guess when people hear the word "deaf or deafness", the first thoughts are related to communication and speech skills?" Is a guess ending with a question mark.
But I can imaging that kind of focus is tiresome. On the other hand. No focus would be detrimental... or could be....

However, I was thinking along the lines of parents who hear their child is deaf. For the child I hope communication comes first!

I was thinking of the general hearing population when they hear the word "deaf."

I think if reimbursement was available, the bias would automatically be reduced because the number of providers participating in the process presenting a wider variety of options would increase, and it would also increase the ability of those outside of the direct medical/audiology professions to participate.

Sheri

Perhaps. But consultation with those professionals that are presenting information regarding amplification and oral methods only are not being paid for their consultation any more than a professional presenting inforamtion that includes all options available. I don't see how reimbursement for consultation will affect a philosophy held.

Just a little off-topic, but do want to mention it...

Rick was banned for "personally attacking members rather than expressing your opinion on the topic itself"....

Strange, as I reported the same thing yesterday in another thread, (a member joined the topic and got insulted straight away) and nothing happened to the member that attacked the other member.

The thread is closed now and the insult has been removed......

I do believe that you are referring to a response to an attack, not the original attack itself. Quite a different situation, cloggy. One is defense, the other is agression. Think in concept. And now that your concern has been addressed, please stay on topic.

*cough* *cough* :sure:

As I have stated prior, if you are interested in discussing the topic in a polite and intelligent manner, you are welcome to participate. If, however, you are unable to do so, your participation in this thread is not welcome.

Ah, but the problem is that their first reaction is also to equate communication with speech and hearing. That is the limitation that causes the problems in understanding the true nature of deafness and of communciation.

Shouldn't they be?
Isn't that what all the discussion is about: Making sure the deaf child will get all the possibilities to communicate.?

Actually,the topic is about parents getting all of the information they need to make informed decisions regarding the methods chosen for their children. The result of that, would be that children are equipped with a full tool box, however, that is a consequence of the topic and not the topic itself.

Actually,the topic is about parents getting all of the information they need to make informed decisions regarding the methods chosen for their children. The result of that, would be that children are equipped with a full tool box, however, that is a consequence of the topic and not the topic itself.

As we stated in the beginning of the thread, no parents are not getting the full information. I also think they are not getting full information with anything - blind, MR, DS, or even deaf. It seems so many parents are doing a lot of research on the internet and even then they are not getting the full knowledge. Alot of it depends on how they word the search. They get bits of information from the doctors and audie. I think there is s-o much information that it is impossible to pick through what the family feels they can should use, can use, and of course never use.

As we stated in the beginning of the thread, no parents are not getting the full information. I also think they are not getting full information with anything - blind, MR, DS, or even deaf. It seems so many parents are doing a lot of research on the internet and even then they are not getting the full knowledge. Alot of it depends on how they word the search. They get bits of information from the doctors and audie. I think there is s-o much information that it is impossible to pick through what the family feels they can should use, can use, and of course never use.

I agree... no one is getting all of the information.....which is why we should be doing something to correct that. A family cannot decide what would never be of use to them if they have not been made aware that it existed in the first place. I am a firm beleiver in freedom of choice. But one is not free to make a choice without knowing what the alternatives are.

AH, OK,

How about Norway, cloggy? Care to share some info regarding the policies and practices of disemminating information to parents in your country?

Just a little off-topic, but do want to mention it...

Rick was banned for "personally attacking members rather than expressing your opinion on the topic itself"....

Strange, as I reported the same thing yesterday in another thread, (a member joined the topic and got insulted straight away) and nothing happened to the member that attacked the other member.

The thread is closed now and the insult has been removed......

Good point Cloggy but see when you reported that post I do believe that you were referring to the original attack and not the response to the attack itself. Quite a different situation, Cloggy. One is agression, the other is defense. Does that help?

I do believe that you are referring to a response to an attack, not the original attack itself. Quite a different situation, cloggy. One is defense, the other is agression. Think in concept. And now that your concern has been addressed, please stay on topic.
Since you want to know,

No, that was you insulting loml when she posted her first post in a thread. Her post were some smilies, and you attacked her not even for the post she made, but for appearing in the thread.

THAT's what I was talking about..

(Perhaps the mods are able to pull the message up again...)

I was thinking of the general hearing population when they hear the word "deaf."

Shel why would it be so unusal for someone who hears normally to wonder how they are going to communicate with a deaf person? Not all deaf are able to speech read. Not all deaf are able to sign. Not all deaf can write sentences with correct structure, some to write more ASL then english. So yeah they are going to wonder how to communicate with a deaf person, espeically if they've never really had contact with one. I'd say just be glad they are curious enough and don't reject the idea outright. Which I'm sure some do.

How about Norway, cloggy? Care to share some info regarding the policies and practices of disemminating information to parents in your country?
You mean disseminating info?
Well, in a nutshell,
When a child is diagnosed deaf, HA's are fitted, the parents are offered free signlanguage courses (2-3 times a year until the child is 16 years old), more tests are done to see if the child can have CI, if so, the child is offered bi-lateral CI.
Regardles of CI or not, the child has the right to education based on signlanguage, and social services, kindergarten or schools will have to make sure all is in place to accomodate the deaf child.)

Interestingly enough, no course is provided to support parents in teaching their child to speak.

You mean disseminating info?
Well, in a nutshell,
When a child is diagnosed deaf, HA's are fitted, the parents are offered free signlanguage courses (2-3 times a year until the child is 16 years old), more tests are done to see if the child can have CI, if so, the child is offered bi-lateral CI.
Regardles of CI or not, the child has the right to education based on signlanguage, and social services, kindergarten or schools will have to make sure all is in place to accomodate the deaf child.)

Interestingly enough, no course is provided to support parents in teaching their child to speak.

I think it is great that they offer CIs and HAs. Some questions

1 Can you tell me what type of research you did before decising the current program for your daughter?

2We have discussed in this thread if parents are given all the information. What has been your experience?

3Since I know you have done so much research, did the doctors, ent, audies accept your ideas or were you disregarded?

4How is your whole family included in the current program?

5As a parent, how do you view the educational system in giving you all the information you need?

6How would you feel if an educator, tried to put a service(deaf education classes) or counseling on your family?

Any other parents of deaf children, if you want to try and answer the questions too your more than welcome. I would love to see your replies. I see it as an educator. The only experience I have had is trying since 4 to get speech services for my daughter. I had to work on it until she was 8. Finally she was tested and placed in speech. I am even at the same school as a teacher and I could not get anyone to listen. As a HOH/deaf person, I could even tell she had problems with th, l, and ch. I kept hearing, oh it is developmental. I finally had to go to the principal and ask for testing(did this 3 times). Now after a year in speech, she will be released in the spring because of progress.

Your post/questions sounds a lot better than "How about Norway, cloggy? Care to share some info regarding the policies and practices of disemminating information to parents in your country?":)
You think there's a reason why the question contained the word "disemminating" (whatever that is..:dunno:)

I think it is great that they offer CIs and HAs. Some questions

1 Can you tell me what type of research you did before decising the current program for your daughter?
Before we new she was a candidate for CI, we were reading; ordering books about deafness on the net. When CI came in, more info was obtained from the WWW,
Regarding the "program", when we noticed that Lotte was using speech as her first means of communication and keeping in mind she had to learn two languages - Dutch and Norwegian - we decided not to push the signlanguage any more. We still attended a couple of more courses, but the information we needed was not there.

2We have discussed in this thread if parents are given all the information. What has been your experience?
No, one realises very quickly that we were the experts. Doctors have limited knowledge, Deaf culture has limited knowledge, so the parent has to look for the info and filter it out.

3Since I know you have done so much research, did the doctors, ent, audies accept your ideas or were you disregarded?
After implantation, doctors are out of view. They never gave advise about which CI to choose. Audies are experts, since they have worked with so many kids. We were recommended not to use signlanguage - and we refused to do that. It became like that by itself...
The other thing we were recommended - and that we refused - was to put Lotte's BTE's on the ears. I asked the "why" and they could not come up with an answer... and Lotte - she doesn't want them there, unless she's naked, when she uses the telephone or when she has her PJ's on....

4How is your whole family included in the current program?
Our children also got some courses learning signlanguage. The whole family was involved.

5 As a parent, how do you view the educational system in giving you all the information you need?
The educational system does not know much. Again, we are the experts. Of course there are some people in the social services that know, but even they are still stuck in HA times, and know little about CI's. We pushed a lot of buttons, and pissed people off because we refused to accept certain decisions. But we are provided with everything we are entitled to. Just had to work for it.

6 How would you feel if an educator, tried to put a service(deaf education classes) or counseling on your family?
Fine, bring it on. anything that will help us we will accept. And if there's nothing to help us, I'm sure the services will learn from us.... Allready happened.!

Any other parents of deaf children, if you want to try and answer the questions too your more than welcome. I would love to see your replies. I see it as an educator. The only experience I have had is trying since 4 to get speech services for my daughter. I had to work on it until she was 8. Finally she was tested and placed in speech. I am even at the same school as a teacher and I could not get anyone to listen. As a HOH/deaf person, I could even tell she had problems with th, l, and ch. I kept hearing, oh it is developmental. I finally had to go to the principal and ask for testing(did this 3 times). Now after a year in speech, she will be released in the spring because of progress.

But Vallee, this is a good questionnaire...
You should consider posting it as a new thread!

Thanks for answering. Sometimes we don't ask, how parents make the choices they do. And of course the thread is are parents getting the info they need? So why not get the info from the parents. Parents are the first teachers and they know their child best. I like the part when you said that your daughter picked the way she wants to communicate. I look at my daughter and I like to think I know her well. I am not surprised by the comments made about her. She is just like that with me - more so.

:)
IMG_06_754220-20sepia.jpg
IMG_06_7848.jpg

Last edited:
a picture is worth a thousand words!

I see your motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back