Are or were you worried about hearing worse with CI?

Are or were you worried about hearing worse with CI?

• I expected to hear both speech and environmental sounds much better than with HAs

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • I expected to hear both speech and environmental sounds slightly better than with HAs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I expected to hear speech much better, didn't care for environmental sounds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I expected to hear environmental sounds much better, didn't care for speech

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Yes I was worried about hearing speech and/or environmental sounds worse, but took the risk anyway

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

deafdude1

Reaction score
I am just curious for anyone who is considering a CI or at the time you got your CI. Even if not interested in CIs, is one of the reasons due to the fear youd hear worse with CI than HAs? If your choice does not fit in any of the poll choices, explain it here. One of my own fears is I may hear environmental sounds worse. I do expect to hear speech slightly better than with HAs. The odds would be slightly in my favor given my degree of loss and the fact I score a little worse on speech comphrension than the average CI result. However environmental sounds are a different story and my audiologist says I can expect to hear 15db aided with my HAs in the low frequencies and 30db-40db in the mids. For that reason, he did tell me that he didn't recommend any CIs for me for several reasons. In one of his emails to me, he said "Personally, I would never recommend CI of any kind for you. People with CI do not hear that same as regular hearing people."

edit: I am emailing my audiologist again and will ask him more about my HAs, reprogramming and to clarify what he meant regarding CIs. Ill let you guys know what he says.

You left out one important question: Did you have no expectations?

I said that I expected to hear much better than the HAs because I lost even more hearing (had 100, and then it became 110+), so HA for that ear was kinda useless. The battery would die on that ear, and I wouldn't even know (I still use HA for my good ear).

Getting a CI in one ear makes you realize how much MORE (more, not louder) you hear compared to the HA. I actually hear "louder" with the HA (on the good ear) for environmental sounds, but.... there is really no point to it. It's just a lot of white noise.

I wear both my HA and CI, my CI is totally better for sounds and everything etc but wearing both HA and CI makes things louder and clearer

Most people will say that they get greater clarity of sound with a CI vs an HA. This is because HAs merely amplify the sounds a person can already hear, whereas the CI gives them access to sound they wouldn't be able to hear even with an HA.

The bottom line to the HA vs CI debate is this. It goes back to personal choice. If a person is happy with HAs, then they won't pursue getting the CI. However, if the person isn't happy with HAs, then they may opt for the CI. However, some people are happy without any hearing devices and that's fine, too. It goes back to what a person wants or doesn't want, and that is how it should be.

With my HA's i didnt have as much access to sound that i do with a CI

With my HA's i didnt have as much access to sound that i do with a CI

That's right. The reason is HAs merely amplify whatever residual hearing the person has. If the person loses their residual hearing over time, then an HA won't really help them anymore. A CI stimulates the auditory nerve and sends signals to the brain via electrical impulses. By doing so, you give the person greater access to sounds they wouldn't ordinarily be able to hear with an HA. Ofc, it takes time and practice to learn to recognize these sounds, but overall, most people seem to be happy with what they are able to hear with CI.

As a natural born pessimist I did worry a lot that something might go wrong and I would not be able to hear with my CI even as good as with my HAs, though by the moment of surgery I could not make out much with them :roll:

In reality, however, on the day of activation I started hearing lots of new environmental sounds right off the bat, and on day 2 I already could understand people I had not been able to before :lol:

I had nothing to lose as my hearing loss was probably 120+ by the time I was implanted. I didn't ask my audiologist what my loss was at my first appointment of the CI candidacy process as I only hear ONE sound at the VERY end of the hearing test and that alone tells me that no HA in the world would ever touch my loss.

I remember hearing different sounds as a small child but not being able to tell the difference between sounds, just that I heard them. Now I have a CI and I can hear the difference between many sounds even though I am lousy at memorizing the sounds - my memory just sucks. But I still enjoy my CI anyway for music! Music alone is a huge bonus for me as I always wanted to know what music sounded like and why music was so a huge deal for hearing people as well as many HOH people, even though I was involved in a music program back in elementary school where I immensely enjoyed it (I miss that program, it was just too much fun), but still I had no idea. Now I have a CI and now I know. :)

And when I was activated, I could hear voices and lots of different environmental sounds right off the bat too! I could hear the difference between sounds and I could hear the difference between female and male voices - at the activation I could hear my female audiologist's voice just fine but could only hear my fiance's voice very softly at first and no other male voices at that time but now I can hear his voice just fine. The day I was activated was a VERY interesting day!

I got an email from my audiologist. Ive also discussed CIs further with him. I am posting it below here instead of starting a new thread.

-----------------------------------------------

70% is extremely good, better then expected, especially in such a short time. CI's might be beneficial, but keep some things in mind.
1. if it does not work, the hearing in that ear is completely gone forever.
2. you would not hear the way everyone else hears.
3. once you try, you can never go back.
4. CI's are generally resevered for people who even with hearing aids can not hear loud enough.

With regards to the increase to 0dB, that is impossible for anyone with a hearing loss as profound as yours.

-----------------------------------------------

He only had enough time to answer 5 of my questions. My audiologist is also worried about the possibility ill hear worse with CIs, this is why he doesn't recommend them for me. I made this poll to see what your thoughts were and some of you shared the same worries as me, but still took the risk.

Like me, my audiologist is also worried about CI destroying residual hearing and that you can never go back to a HA in that ear. Save for a rare few exceptions, almost everyone loses hearing in the implanted ear. He also says I would not hear the way everyone hears, that I know as CI is not a cure nor does it give perfect hearing.

The 4th answer was interesting and made me wonder why a few people get CIs if they hear loud enough with HAs or have enough hearing to do so. He knows ill be able to hear much louder/more with HAs than CIs. I might experience a modest improvement in speech clarity(im already at 70%) but id hear sounds more faintly like having the volume on my HAs turned down.

He's right that generally people get CIs to hear louder/more sounds and speech, not to trade off one aspect of hearing for another. Before you say im against CIs, that's your choice and for most of you on alldeaf who got CIs, you had much, much, much deeper losses than I do and ive seen some of your unaided/aided scores and you did hear more/louder with CIs.

By the way regarding 0db, some have said I am obsessed with it. But I was just curious to know if those with more residual hearing than me could get to 0db. Those with only a mild to severe loss, were you able to hear at 0db aided?

I said that I expected to hear much better than the HAs because I lost even more hearing (had 100, and then it became 110+), so HA for that ear was kinda useless. The battery would die on that ear, and I wouldn't even know (I still use HA for my good ear).

Getting a CI in one ear makes you realize how much MORE (more, not louder) you hear compared to the HA. I actually hear "louder" with the HA (on the good ear) for environmental sounds, but.... there is really no point to it. It's just a lot of white noise.

If you can't even tell if your HA is on/off there is NO question that you could not possibly hear worse with CI. It was the same story for LuciaDisturbed with her very profound loss. Your good ear may still be worse than either of my ears(both of which are about the same) as for you hearing louder, are you talking about recruitment or do you actually have better aided scores in your HA ear than CI ear? My HAs aren't being reprogrammed to hear louder but to improve the thresholds so I hear faint sounds better while loud sounds don't get louder.

I wear both my HA and CI, my CI is totally better for sounds and everything etc but wearing both HA and CI makes things louder and clearer

We have discussed this and it's likley your loss is profound to very profound. Mine is severe to very profound. You are missing alot of low frequency hearing that gives loudness to sounds. We also have discussed that CI was likley to be better in your case(even though you were still a borderline candidate, I would not qualify if you barely did and your hearing was much worse)

Most people will say that they get greater clarity of sound with a CI vs an HA. This is because HAs merely amplify the sounds a person can already hear, whereas the CI gives them access to sound they wouldn't be able to hear even with an HA.

It's possible I may experience a small increase in the clarity of speech and maybe even environmental sounds. I would never know unless I tried CI and got a good result from that. But the scary thing is there's probably no going back to HAs in the implanted ear. I know it's an individual choice. It would be an easy choice for those with very profound loss, I personally would make the same choice if my loss was as profound as some of you guys, in that case, the odds would be quite high of expecting an improvement. But a few of you were benefitting from HAs, yet decided to try CI anyway and hope for the best. I do wonder how they got insurance to approve or did they have to pay out of pocket?

For me, I hear way better with the CI's than I ever did with my HA's! :)

You said in another thread that you benefitted fine from HAs and could understand speech, did your hearing loss suddenly get worse? What happened? :hmm:

I also hear way better with CIs than hearing aids ever.

The questions your audie answered. The audie did a good job of answering them. Let me add something to them.

70% is extremely good, better then expected, especially in such a short time. CI's might be beneficial, but keep some things in mind.
1. if it does not work, the hearing in that ear is completely gone forever.That is true there is not going back to what you had. That is why CIs are the last option. I had very little useable hearing, so CIs were my last option.
2. you would not hear the way everyone else hears.I like this answer. I don't ever remember hearing like everyone else, I think I hear better quality sound.
3. once you try, you can never go back.true, but I won't anyway
4. CI's are generally resevered for people who even with hearing aids can not hear loud enough.last option and personal choice. This obsession with perfect hear is not going to happen with CIs. It is work to get to the comfort level and pick up comprehension. I also don't think there is a magic db number to let you know when it is right for CIs. So enjoy the hearing you have with hearing aids. If I could have had the hearing you have, I would have never gotten my CIs. I didn't and no hearing aid would change that.

4. CI's are generally resevered for people who even with hearing aids can not hear loud enough.

The 4th answer was interesting and made me wonder why a few people get CIs if they hear loud enough with HAs or have enough hearing to do so. He knows ill be able to hear much louder/more with HAs than CIs. I might experience a modest improvement in speech clarity(im already at 70%) but id hear sounds more faintly like having the volume on my HAs turned down.

Are you sure the audi didn't just type a wrong word? It makes much more sense if he said "CI's are generally reserved for people who even with hearing aids can not hear WELL enough". The way he did say it doesn't make sense since the CI does not work the same way as a hearing aid in regards to loudness. Maybe LOUD was just a Freudian slip...

I also hear way better with CIs than hearing aids ever.

The questions your audie answered. The audie did a good job of answering them. Let me add something to them.

I agree with everything you added. Sadly I see too many people obsessed with hearing perfectly or have unrealistic CI expectations. A few of the CI candidates have audiograms even I would take anyday over CIs. If I had their audiograms, id hear so much better with HAs and id hear some sounds unaided! :D

There's no magic db number, but common sense says that you should expect better db with CI over HAs. It's what those with only a moderate HL don't understand. If I had their hearing, id be at 0db with HAs. :D

Are you sure the audi didn't just type a wrong word? It makes much more sense if he said "CI's are generally reserved for people who even with hearing aids can not hear WELL enough". The way he did say it doesn't make sense since the CI does not work the same way as a hearing aid in regards to loudness. Maybe LOUD was just a Freudian slip...

To hear louder is also to hear better. Both mean the same thing.

Didn't vote in poll as I expected only 5% improvement from HA's But now EXCELLED FAR BEYOND expecations!!!

Sigh....... there's no hope in convincing you that louder doesn't mean better, is there?

No I don't think there is convincing him. In some situations if i crank the volume on my ha i hear find but in others all i hear is noise, i don't hear speech...by adding more volume you're creating distortion. AND If you had better hearing or a better audiogram like u say who is to say that u will hear at 0 dB cuz i have a better audiogram than u do and i Know i don't hear at 0 dB ..Do u also get that you can have 3 people with the same audiogram and GUARANTEED that they all hear differently. Someone can have the same audipogram but have better speech comprehension than the other...like think before u actually type what you think is right..cuz u are wrong.

There is no way in hell anyone can ever hear at 0 dB with HAs or even CIs. DeafDude, you just do not get it. You. Will. Never. Hear. 0dB with HAs nor with CIs. It just is NOT POSSIBLE.

Sometimes I talkt to speech voice and I guess my opinion idea,. I don't know what is topic not clear understand.

Back