Are my children going to be deaf?

Chlandrew

Reaction score
Hi, my fiancé and I are in the process of thinking of having children soon but would like to get some more info on the chances of our children being deaf.

I, myself, am not deaf/hoh and do not have any deafness in my family. My boyfriends hearing is also perfect, however, both his parents are deaf. His father became deaf through illness. His mother was born deaf but does not know if it was genetically inherited. Does anyone know how we could find this out? Would it be in her medical notes? Could she or my boyfriend be screened to see what type of deaf gene carriers they are?

By no means if we had deaf children would this be a problem but it would just be nice to know what are the chances of having deaf children.

Any help or anyone's experiences that relate to this discussion, that you could share with me, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

I don't think there's really any definite way of knowing the chances of your children being deaf.

Were you born deaf? Was there a reason for your deafness?

I have hearing genes. I became deaf due to illness.

My wife doesn't know if she was born hearing since the was never fully tested as a baby. It is likely that she was born hearing and became deaf later.

So, with that in mind... it's highly likely that we will have hearing kids. :dunno:

Read up on Mendel's law. Even if his mother's deafness is genetic, most of your children would be hearing.

The fact that the fiance is hearing should have given you a bit of a clue already.

Unless it was a dominant gene, and it obviously isn't.

Read up on Mendel's law. Even if his mother's deafness is genetic, most of your children would be hearing.

The fact that the fiance is hearing should have given you a bit of a clue already.

Unless it was a dominant gene, and it obviously isn't.

Bott- I'm always impressed with your expansive knowledge that seems to know no boundaries.

I was just studying Mendel's Law in my Anthropology class.

that's an interesting question, my mother's father's wife' *my grandma* has hearing loss and when I was little, I came across a pair of miracle ear hearing aid that once belonged to my dad's mom which I knew both grandmas has hearing loss!

my parents are hearing, both parents *moms, my grandmothers* has hearing loss like me

In terms of the chance of having a deaf child, the ratio of the occurrence between dominant and recessive traits from a single grandparent is 1/4. So in theory, 25% chance but realistically, it is pretty low since mutations are more rare than a confirmed genetic trait from your grandmother (non-mutation). Keep in mind, other syndromes are fair game depending on alot of factors.

that's an interesting question, my mother's father's wife' *my grandma* has hearing loss and when I was little, I came across a pair of miracle ear hearing aid that once belonged to my dad's mom which I knew both grandmas has hearing loss!

my parents are hearing, both parents *moms, my grandmothers* has hearing loss like me

Your grandmothers most likely had age related hearing loss, and weren't born that way. Huge difference.

Im wondering that too. I was born with hearing loss. Nobody in my family except one of my Dad's Cousins is deaf.

What are the chances my kids will have hearing loss or be deaf if I procreate with a full hearing woman?

Dude, this can happen for many reasons. There is no way to know whether your children will be deaf. Yes, the possibility may be higher, but still no way of knowing. Agree with the other poster, genetic test is probably the only way, if that.

As for myself, I'm the only one in the history of my family who is deaf.

Take the chance because either way life is hard.

Last edited:
Back