Are Most Deaf In the USA On SSI? I don't think that is true.

Hi,

I thought I would post my story regarding SSI and being a college student at the same time. I've tried to apply for many,many,many part time jobs during college and have been flat-out denied or rejected because of my hearing loss. Mind you, I have good speaking/oral skills and a CI, but they still didn't want me because I couldn't use the phone.

The way their logic works is this-- they have a stack full of interviews-- say five-- four are hearing, don't need accommodated, one is deaf, needs accommodated-who are they going to go for? The easy one. Now, this is not to say all places do this, but many do.

Most part time jobs (that I've found) require phone skills. Even the child care I worked at was hesistant to hire me- but a teacher found out about me and told them she'd "take me on" as if I was a challenge. She was acting in pity, perhaps, but three months later I got "Employee of the Month" so it was basically a "pbbffllttt" to the staff who doubted me.

In any case, it is hard to find a part time job. Waiter? No, can't do that. Phone/secretary? No. Child care? "But what if the fire alarm goes off?" Etc etc... so my mom told me about SSI and I figured I would take advantage of it and get through college. I'm in college for a reason- to become a teacher- and don't plan to be reliant on SSI- not that I could anyway. But it saves me the hassle from applying to a thousand places and I can concentrate on my work.

I read about the sailing team thing- now THAT is pitiful- but in cases like mine or someone who needs the healthcare, I think SSI is a viable option.

As for the 60% "low functioning".. I think they are referring to reading and writing skills.. not sure on that. From what I know, from studying deaf history, literacy rates are low amongst the deaf/Deaf.

They're referring to a bit more than that; I did some research. According to this site: it can mean a number of things like miminal language skills (below 2nd grade; average is said to be 4th grade level), you're low functioning if you come from a ethinic minority like if you're from a Chinese American family that doesn't speak English, you come from a poor family, if you were born in a different country and your family never learned English, lack of access to appropriate education, if you have drug or booze problems, if you come from a poor part of the city or live in a very rural and remote area. If you have secondary disablities, you could be considered low functioning deaf.

In practice, it usually means someone who has no speech skills and below 2nd grade reading level; I've never heard the hearing refer to deaf as low functioning if they have excellent speech skill despite below second grade level reading skill. I've never heard anyone deaf referred to as low functioning if they have substance problems.

You don't strike me as low functioning. I know some deaf who have been on SSI and most of them do not fit this description; I do know some who could be considered low functioning.

Thank you for the link- it is very intriguing to learn more about these issues. I still believe it is a valuable resource, however dependency is an issue needing to be dealt with.

Where in the heck did I say i was worried about taxes? Never once said that. I only let people know who will be paying for the Obamacare plan. I never said I was worried about it. You misunderstand many things.

Quit watching Glenn Beck. Stop listening to the republicans. That is the information that you keep handing out on your post. I guess it is you who needs to stop watching false information.

Another thing, dr do not prevent spreadings of stds or any other kind of preventive meds. It is the person who chooses to attend to be checked up upon. Someone that is avoiding to go to the dr office cannot be helped by the dr.

So some dr. get a big bonus for what they have no contol over. They can only help what they see. Obama is forcing more people to see the dr so that more people will be helped.

His plan is one of kind and you need to read his bill before giving out false information. It just goes to show how Un-American you are.

"If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me - but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way." -Roger Ebert

"Why so much restitance?" I believe you mean resistance? I will tell you why! Because I am very American and I believe in ones right to argue. Ones right to disagree is powerful and in times it goes to show that a good debate can prove anyone can always be wrong. Anyone!

"So yeah, what I see is fairly simple and its very successful in other countries. It has been for the past several decades."
I never said it was not successful. Please, oh please do not twist my words. I said the Obamacare plan is much better. It has a back up plan.

sigh....

They are plain stupid. Actually they have the fear that they will end up paying and do not believe in freebies.

lol, how can they refuse if there is nothing to sign, or whatever? ya know?
Just go to a doc and sign that you were there, and out the door. How can you REFUSE that?

You see what I mean? Healthcare is good. But get it right.

Go to this site.

England in STDs | News | guardian.co.uk

It just goes to show that people do not always attend to the dr.;therefore, they cannot help them....

Get it?

You have to attend the dr. in order to be cured or helped. Many avoid going and continue to spread stds throughout a nation. Obama, is trying to prevent this.

Yes, other countries have wonderful health care and better than our current system, but not better than the obamacare plan.

You wouldn't know if the obamacare plan is better because one, you don't understand it and two, you have not even tried to understand it. You picking up false information about it and not checking it out for yourself.

Go to this site.

England in STDs | News | guardian.co.uk

It just goes to show that people do not always attend to the dr.;therefore, they cannot help them....

Get it?

You have to attend the dr. in order to be cured or helped. Many avoid going and continue to spread stds throughout a nation. Obama, is trying to prevent this.

Yes, other countries have wonderful health care and better than our current system, but not better than the obamacare plan.

You wouldn't know if the obamacare plan is better because one, you don't understand it and two, you have not even tried to understand it. You picking up false information about it and not checking it out for yourself.
You do not make sense -
People CHOOSE if they want to go to the doctors or not.
Obamacare will not *force* people to go to the doctors.
There's this thing called: Human Rights.

There will be people that will not go to the doctors ANYWAYS, no matter how you slice it.

I don't understand why you're trying to argue something that is different than what I am saying.

I say: I do not want to deal with the insurance BS, I prefer the govt to provide it by law. So I don't have to deal with it, instead of having something else - NEGATIVE REINFORCEMENT. I flippin' hate negative reinforcement.

And you on the other hand are trying to get the point across to me that with "Obamacare" people *will* go to the doctors, which I disagree with for reasons above.
Also you want to argue a "backup plan" which I have stated my reasons for disagreement.

One can agree to disagree and I'm doing that.

For what it's worth, I am a democrat, and I do not have a TV so whoever's name you threw out earlier I have absolutely no clue who he is.

You do not make sense -
People CHOOSE if they want to go to the doctors or not.
Obamacare will not *force* people to go to the doctors.
There's this thing called: Human Rights.

There will be people that will not go to the doctors ANYWAYS, no matter how you slice it.

I don't understand why you're trying to argue something that is different than what I am saying.

I say: I do not want to deal with the insurance BS, I prefer the govt to provide it by law. So I don't have to deal with it, instead of having something else - NEGATIVE REINFORCEMENT. I flippin' hate negative reinforcement.

And you on the other hand are trying to get the point across to me that with "Obamacare" people *will* go to the doctors, which I disagree with for reasons above.
Also you want to argue a "backup plan" which I have stated my reasons for disagreement.

One can agree to disagree and I'm doing that.

For what it's worth, I am a democrat, and I do not have a TV so whoever's name you threw out earlier I have absolutely no clue who he is.

And I am saying that the Obama care does just that. The government will pay for it, but the back up plan is that those who make over some 500.000 will also pay for it.

The government should pay for it.. This I agree, but our Government is broke and therefore cannot afford to pay for it alone. This would deeply bankrupt our nation even more.

And oh, you have human right's, but when you abuse your human rights by putting other humans in danger than your human rights should be stripped from you.

If you have std and you go on screwing all you want just because you want to enjoy then you are wrong and you deserve no human rights. Having human rights comes with responsibilities.

Oh, and about your tv thing... Don't believe ya. You got a computer and no tv? Puhlease! Second of all, you can easily read about it online. Everyone knows who Glenn Beck is. You may not know him by name, but believe me you know him..

Well. Our taxes will be paying for the healthcare plans. That's the bottom line. The "backup" of these who makes more than 500k claim is though to believe because its been proven that that alone won't be able to cover the obamacare thing. Its merely a supplemental.

And yes. I don't have a TV. I've mentioned it quite a few times. I gave my 52 inch plasma tv away. I have several computers. Its not like I couldn't afford a TV. It was just me wasting my life away watching History channel for days at a time. It was then when I made the decision to throw my TV out

Oi...

Just because there is public healthcare available doesn't means people will use it. Posts From Hell is right about the "human rights" aspect. You may see it as violation of human rights by making other people sick, but so is forcing people to visit the doctors. That is why countries have clauses as far as who can and who can't opt out of public healthcare. However if there is public healthcare available, people DO use it more often for preventive care.

Illegal immigrants sure hell won't risk going to the doctors; anti-government folks like anarchists and libertarians won't go there because they don't believe in using government services. Some won't even go based on religious reasons. Some won't go to the doctor because they have the youth superiority complex.

I certainly hope this is not true.

I heard about this at a social a few weeks ago and I was pretty disgusted about it.

What did you hear about?

I went to this social with a friend. There was a converstation about people being on Social Security. I was not sure about what to ask. I asked my friend what was going on. He said that these several deaf people who were talking about it was getting social security. They were talking about waiting a week to get it. Apparently they get it first week of each month. They seemed perfectly capable of working.

I went to this social with a friend. There was a converstation about people being on Social Security. I was not sure about what to ask. I asked my friend what was going on. He said that these several deaf people who were talking about it was getting social security. They were talking about waiting a week to get it. Apparently they get it first week of each month. They seemed perfectly capable of working.

Oh, yes if someone will give them a chance.

The thing is you don't know what their circumstances were. There are many hearing people struggling to find jobs so I think with this recession, it would be harder for deaf people to find a job whcih they can support themselves because of all the stereotypes that hearing employers have about deaf workers.

We just can't make any assumptions about each person's personal lives unless they shared it with you.

Well. Our taxes will be paying for the healthcare plans. That's the bottom line. The "backup" of these who makes more than 500k claim is though to believe because its been proven that that alone won't be able to cover the obamacare thing. Its merely a supplemental.

And yes. I don't have a TV. I've mentioned it quite a few times. I gave my 52 inch plasma tv away. I have several computers. Its not like I couldn't afford a TV. It was just me wasting my life away watching History channel for days at a time. It was then when I made the decision to throw my TV out

Yes and no. Those who make 500k will be paying for it. Whatever is owed the government pays for. Get it? This is how Obama is avoiding a huge huge tax cut from those who make less than 500k. The Government will pay for it, but it cannot afford to do it all alone.

Wow, I could never throw away my TV. I enjoy to many movies.. That is my weakness.

Yes and no. Those who make 500k will be paying for it. Whatever is owed the government pays for. Get it? This is how Obama is avoiding a huge huge tax cut from those who make less than 500k. The Government will pay for it, but it cannot afford to do it all alone.

Wow, I could never throw away my TV. I enjoy to many movies.. That is my weakness.

I got that part. Look at my post - "a supplemental."
=D

Oi...

Just because there is public healthcare available doesn't means people will use it. Posts From Hell is right about the "human rights" aspect. You may see it as violation of human rights by making other people sick, but so is forcing people to visit the doctors. That is why countries have clauses as far as who can and who can't opt out of public healthcare. However if there is public healthcare available, people DO use it more often for preventive care.

Illegal immigrants sure hell won't risk going to the doctors; anti-government folks like anarchists and libertarians won't go there because they don't believe in using government services. Some won't even go based on religious reasons. Some won't go to the doctor because they have the youth superiority complex.

If you are going to break a violation to the human rights then you do not deserve human rights because you do not share the responsibility to perserve your human rights.

Back