Are Most Deaf In the USA On SSI? I don't think that is true.

I know some people refused to accept free health care, this is not an excuse because a person who lacks health care gets sick, gives to other innocent people resulting sick, why pay multiple patients rather treat less patients to reduce the spread. Those people that refused should pay fine for this. Also, other issue is abortation, and immigrants, these should not take advantage of government monies.

The change in health reform is really badly needed, and people are just plain afraid of the changes and unknown. We all must accept the changes and move on, can't stay the old way and suffer needless.

lol, how can they refuse if there is nothing to sign, or whatever? ya know?
Just go to a doc and sign that you were there, and out the door. How can you REFUSE that?

You see what I mean? Healthcare is good. But get it right.

why make it so complicated?

Make it automatic, everyone is covered no matter what. *REGARDLESS of income*
Kind of like an unseen median. You go to the doctors, they bill the government. You have nothing to worry about.

It's not that simple anymore. The government needs a way to save money in order to help pay back their dues. Perhaps if they did not owe so much your idea would work, but not as of now. Your idea would only send us into a deeper problems.

Plus, if you ask me, Obama's idea is better than what other countries have. Obama is putting a stop to those who are trying to avoid check ups and crap. The plan is going to help stop stds from spreading and more. Other countries do not offer this and as of right now other countries are losing money due to their health care plans. Obama is only going to charge those who can afford it, but not those who make under some 500.000 dollars. This idea is leaving a back up plan to help pay for Health Care. It's brilliant.

Mod note:

Reminder.... Until further notice, religious discussion is not permitted in AllDeaf, thus post is removed.

Thanks.

We do what we must do to be sure that others are safe. This sometimes takes courage. It is not wrong nor is it right, but it is courage. Sometimes a man of courage has to do what others will not see as the right thing to do.

Everyone needs to be healed. Weather or not one believes in it.

That's what I've been told when I applied for a job at a former Tops warehouse ( food industry) a couple years ago.

So you're actually saying nobody could hear a forklift coming? So basically I've been lied to :hmm:

In a high noise environment, such as the center of the plant where I work, hearing people have to communicate by yelling in each other's ears. Everyone wears earplugs to save their hearing. No one can hear any forklift, even the noisiest gas or propane lift.

An electric lift can be heard if there is no other noise, such as running machinery or people talking. Seldom the case in any place I have ever worked.

Horn honking: There is a psychological effect that governs both the nose and the ears. What you smell or hear consistently disappears from your awareness. 30 years ago if you honked everyone looked: Something was wrong. Nowadays you honk going through doors, you honk going around corners, you honk when backing up: It is the law: You have too. Nowadays no one pays attention to honking horns: No one hears them any more.

I have never been around a forklift accident that happened because someone wasn't listening -- Every one I've seen has happened because someone wasn't looking.

In a high noise environment, such as the center of the plant where I work, hearing people have to communicate by yelling in each other's ears. Everyone wears earplugs to save their hearing. No one can hear any forklift, even the noisiest gas or propane lift.

An electric lift can be heard if there is no other noise, such as running machinery or people talking. Seldom the case in any place I have ever worked.

Horn honking: There is a psychological effect that governs both the nose and the ears. What you smell or hear consistently disappears from your awareness. 30 years ago if you honked everyone looked: Something was wrong. Nowadays you honk going through doors, you honk going around corners, you honk when backing up: It is the law: You have too. Nowadays no one pays attention to honking horns: No one hears them any more.

I have never been around a forklift accident that happened because someone wasn't listening -- Every one I've seen has happened because someone wasn't looking.

Good statement and I think any deaf person applying for this particular job should make a statement like this to the prospective employer.

We need to be more pro-active. I have been helping friends how to get around the phone excuse whenever they are at interviews by making well-educated statements like you just did and be more blunt with the employer instead of being passive and accepting that the employer is right about not being able to peform the tasks due to deafness.

However, with this recession, the chances of a skilled deaf person getting a lucurative job seems slimmer.

Someone told me he heard most of the deaf here in the USA are on SSI/SSDI. If this is true, I want to see that changed.

I believe it. Every jobs I ran into require telephone skills and communication skills. you see, deaf people today are not working with other deaf people (and some don't know sign language to communicate with one another). They have to deal with hearing people

and top of it all, lack of good communication keep deaf people from developing a job skills. Such as my math/social studies/etc were used as my verbal training class instead of actually teaching me these subjects. because of that, it put me behind.

I had one sweet teacher who wrote everything on the board, and I actually learned from his class. His philosophy is that if he say it, it is going to be written down on the board.

I believe it. Every jobs I ran into require telephone skills and communication skills. you see, deaf people today are not working with other deaf people (and some don't know sign language to communicate with one another). They have to deal with hearing people

and top of it all, lack of good communication keep deaf people from developing a job skills. Such as my math/social studies/etc were used as my verbal training class instead of actually teaching me these subjects. because of that, it put me behind.

I had one sweet teacher who wrote everything on the board, and I actually learned from his class. His philosophy is that if he say it, it is going to be written down on the board.

In your opinion, do you think deaf people should learn ASL and be educated in the core subjects rather than focusing so much time on speech skills at school?

In my opinion, I think the public schools arent properly educating our deaf children by not providing equal access to the curriculm and information.

No that is not what they mean, what they mean is IF you were offered a free health coverage and you decline that, you get fine, also if you REALLY can afford it, like your earning 500,000 a year and won't pay for health care, you get fine. Obamacare is trying to expand offer free health coverage to middle class. It is NO excuse for declining free health care.

National healthcare (not the "fine" type of insurance) would be just the same... you still have to pay with your tax money, and if you refuse to pay taxes, you will be fined or go to jail. I know that most companies have to pay taxes or they will be fine as well. This happened with Dr. Dino because he didn't believe in taxes for his company. He went to jail for it.

At least we could have a choice in what insurance we prefer.

In your opinion, do you think deaf people should learn ASL and be educated in the core subjects rather than focusing so much time on speech skills at school?

In my opinion, I think the public schools arent properly educating our deaf children by not providing equal access to the curriculm and information.

Yes, but I believe they should learn English as well.. but make sure they are clearly learning other subjects and the best way to do that is ASL.

Yes, but I believe they should learn English as well.. but make sure they are clearly learning other subjects and the best way to do that is ASL.

Of course, I would not allow for any deaf child to be denied access to English. That's why I believe in developing a first language in ASL and then use that strong first language to acquire English. Or do it parallel but to deny a deaf child from acquiring English is definitely something I refuse to accept.

My ex bf had no oral skills at all and though he had trouble with employment at times, it didn't keep him from working. His written skills are better than mine (my English skills are at college level btw) and he is much better in the math dept than I am. I have no doubt he has had to apply for SSI at times.

I can cite a Deaf father and mother who had to apply for SSI in between jobs but they didn't stay on it forever. Neither of them have oral skills.

Like Shel90, I am a firm believer in ASL as a foundation for learning English. I've seen far too many deaf children struggling with langauge delays which as a profound impact on education. Many of them had limited to no access to language in their early years.

Even I with my college level English skills can't entirely hide my langauage delays. They will become apparent if you were to IM me or if you were to talk to me on World of Warcraft. That's because IMs and chat in WoW are harder to edit for me.

Some deaf never develop good speech so speech therapy is not always going to be helpful. Speech was quite useful for me as I have excellent speech but it wasn't beneficial for my ex BF.

I am late deaf and thank goodness for the edit feature! lol I dont hold lots of oral conversations (or much of any conversations) these days. Many of my posts are even triple edited. I love the backspace button and the edit features. Seldom do I post without rereading. The grammar patrol ya know. (grin)

Now back to topic. I firmly believe that bilingual education is the best. Whether a child learns a primary language plus ASL, Spanish, French, English, etc, they flourish. Language is not just word, but concept. More language skills broaden your concepts. I think it also broadens your understanding of culture. (opinion only, based on living in a largely bilingual Spanish/English culture)

I really wish that ASL had been offered back in my school days. The grammatical (sp?) aspects are similar to both French and Spanish. More schools should offer ASL or other sign languages at the very least as an elective.

Like Shel90, I am a firm believer in ASL as a foundation for learning English. I've seen far too many deaf children struggling with langauge delays which as a profound impact on education. Many of them had limited to no access to language in their early years.

True.

Last edited:
It's not that simple anymore. The government needs a way to save money in order to help pay back their dues. Perhaps if they did not owe so much your idea would work, but not as of now. Your idea would only send us into a deeper problems.

Plus, if you ask me, Obama's idea is better than what other countries have. Obama is putting a stop to those who are trying to avoid check ups and crap. The plan is going to help stop stds from spreading and more. Other countries do not offer this and as of right now other countries are losing money due to their health care plans. Obama is only going to charge those who can afford it, but not those who make under some 500.000 dollars. This idea is leaving a back up plan to help pay for Health Care. It's brilliant.

Why so much restitance? At this point I feel like I need to type a whole long thread citing quite a few sources and all to see if you can actually understand what I would like to see.

"Other countries do not offer this" you say that about preventive med - I'm going to say this, please, please read up on other countries healthcare plan because that alone already shows your ignorance. The other countries gives their doctors bonuses if they do quite a few certain things to prevent future ailments. How is that not preventive med?

And also why are you so worried about people not paying taxes? How many people actually don't pay taxes?

So yeah, what I see is fairly simple and its very successful in other countries. It has been for the past several decades.

I apologize in advance for the USA media filling you up with false information.

I am late deaf and thank goodness for the edit feature! lol I dont hold lots of oral conversations (or much of any conversations) these days. Many of my posts are even triple edited. I love the backspace button and the edit features. Seldom do I post without rereading. The grammar patrol ya know. (grin)

Now back to topic. I firmly believe that bilingual education is the best. Whether a child learns a primary language plus ASL, Spanish, French, English, etc, they flourish. Language is not just word, but concept. More language skills broaden your concepts. I think it also broadens your understanding of culture. (opinion only, based on living in a largely bilingual Spanish/English culture)

I really wish that ASL had been offered back in my school days. The grammatical (sp?) aspects are similar to both French and Spanish. More schools should offer ASL or other sign languages at the very least as an elective.[/QUOTE]

I agree...I just wish the oralists wouldnt try to kill it. :roll:

Why so much restitance? At this point I feel like I need to type a whole long thread citing quite a few sources and all to see if you can actually understand what I would like to see.

"Other countries do not offer this" you say that about preventive med - I'm going to say this, please, please read up on other countries healthcare plan because that alone already shows your ignorance. The other countries gives their doctors bonuses if they do quite a few certain things to prevent future ailments. How is that not preventive med?

And also why are you so worried about people not paying taxes? How many people actually don't pay taxes?

So yeah, what I see is fairly simple and its very successful in other countries. It has been for the past several decades.

Your not understanding me! Yes other governments pay for health care, but the obamacare plan is much better..... it offers more and it offer a back up plan. Get your facts straight!

Where in the heck did I say i was worried about taxes? Never once said that. I only let people know who will be paying for the Obamacare plan. I never said I was worried about it. You misunderstand many things.

Quit watching Glenn Beck. Stop listening to the republicans. That is the information that you keep handing out on your post. I guess it is you who needs to stop watching false information.

Another thing, dr do not prevent spreadings of stds or any other kind of preventive meds. It is the person who chooses to attend to be checked up upon. Someone that is avoiding to go to the dr office cannot be helped by the dr.

So some dr. get a big bonus for what they have no contol over. They can only help what they see. Obama is forcing more people to see the dr so that more people will be helped.

His plan is one of kind and you need to read his bill before giving out false information. It just goes to show how Un-American you are.

"If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me - but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way." -Roger Ebert

"Why so much restitance?" I believe you mean resistance? I will tell you why! Because I am very American and I believe in ones right to argue. Ones right to disagree is powerful and in times it goes to show that a good debate can prove anyone can always be wrong. Anyone!

"So yeah, what I see is fairly simple and its very successful in other countries. It has been for the past several decades."
I never said it was not successful. Please, oh please do not twist my words. I said the Obamacare plan is much better. It has a back up plan.

I really wish that ASL had been offered back in my school days. The grammatical (sp?) correct spellingaspects are similar to both French and Spanish. More schools should offer ASL or other sign languages at the very least as an elective.

I too wish there was the ability to learn ASL when I first was found with a hearing loss. It would have made things so much easier both then and now. I lived in a small town that still doesn't have anything for the deaf or hoh and we are talking from 1969 to now. (I also like the back space and the edit feature. Used 4 times already on this post.)

Hi,

I thought I would post my story regarding SSI and being a college student at the same time. I've tried to apply for many,many,many part time jobs during college and have been flat-out denied or rejected because of my hearing loss. Mind you, I have good speaking/oral skills and a CI, but they still didn't want me because I couldn't use the phone.

The way their logic works is this-- they have a stack full of interviews-- say five-- four are hearing, don't need accommodated, one is deaf, needs accommodated-who are they going to go for? The easy one. Now, this is not to say all places do this, but many do.

Most part time jobs (that I've found) require phone skills. Even the child care I worked at was hesistant to hire me- but a teacher found out about me and told them she'd "take me on" as if I was a challenge. She was acting in pity, perhaps, but three months later I got "Employee of the Month" so it was basically a "pbbffllttt" to the staff who doubted me.

In any case, it is hard to find a part time job. Waiter? No, can't do that. Phone/secretary? No. Child care? "But what if the fire alarm goes off?" Etc etc... so my mom told me about SSI and I figured I would take advantage of it and get through college. I'm in college for a reason- to become a teacher- and don't plan to be reliant on SSI- not that I could anyway. But it saves me the hassle from applying to a thousand places and I can concentrate on my work.

I read about the sailing team thing- now THAT is pitiful- but in cases like mine or someone who needs the healthcare, I think SSI is a viable option.

As for the 60% "low functioning".. I think they are referring to reading and writing skills.. not sure on that. From what I know, from studying deaf history, literacy rates are low amongst the deaf/Deaf.

Back