Are Drug Users Persecuted?

Kids from loving, balanced families do get sometimes involved with drugs and become addicted, okay,

but apart from genetic component, majority of drug addicts are those who have painful/ dysfunctional past.
There is something that cause addictive behavior in the first place.

It's a fact.

Do you think for example all these rich and celebrities are getting hooked merely because they have money and can?

Another reason to becoming addicted, this more due to RX medication abuse
is for instance being Rx painkillers for pain in the first place.

Fuzzy

Kids from loving, balanced families do get sometimes involved with drugs and become addicted, okay,

Fuzzy

Interesting point. Problem is "What is a loving, balanced family?"

Often this is a cultural concept, not a realistic one.

As an outsider to the family what you believe to be a wonderful family could be a horrible experience for the individuals behind closed doors.

Bigger problem.

Two or more children raised in the same household can see their parents in entirely different ways. Even twins can have vastly different views of their upbringing.

but apart from genetic component, majority of drug addicts are those who have painful/ dysfunctional past.

Fuzzy

Same problem as above. A family that appears dysfunctional from the outside can be a healthy, positive experience for the children.

Further problem.

Memory is not reliable.

Do you think for example all these rich and celebrities are getting hooked merely because they have money and can?

First step in understanding this is to realize the pressures exerted on the rich and famous. Start with this Impostor syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fuzzy

Correct.

But it does not account for the widespread social problems we currently face.

Interesting point. Problem is "What is a loving, balanced family?"

Often this is a cultural concept, not a realistic one.

As an outsider to the family what you believe to be a wonderful family could be a horrible experience for the individuals behind closed doors.

Bigger problem.

Two or more children raised in the same household can see their parents in entirely different ways. Even twins can have vastly different views of their upbringing.

Same problem as above. A family that appears dysfunctional from the outside can be a healthy, positive experience for the children.

Further problem.

Memory is not reliable.

First step in understanding this is to realize the pressures exerted on the rich and famous. Start with this Impostor syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Correct.

But it does not account for the widespread social problems we currently face.

Correct. And until we address the social ills, we will never get a handle on addiction.

Correct. And until we address the social ills, we will never get a handle on addiction.

To me one of the biggest social ills is the desire of Americans to legally take away the rights of others "For Their Own Good." or "For Their Safety." or "To Help Them Live Normal Lives."

When someone can't be the person they want to be it is easier to look at drug addiction, or even suicide, as viable alternatives.

There is something that cause addictive behavior in the first place.

It's a fact.

Fuzzy

Have you ever gone through treatment? I am not ashamed to say I went through the process five times. Count 'em, five times. What I have learned is contrary to what you say, no offense.

Have you ever gone through treatment? I am not ashamed to say I went through the process five times. Count 'em, five times. What I have learned is contrary to what you say, no offense.

I have never gone through treatment.

But some of the people I love have.

Some of them are still a part of my life.

Others I have had to refuse to associate with any longer.

And some have died.

I have never gone through treatment.

But some of the people I love have.

Some of them are still a part of my life.

Others I have had to refuse to associate with any longer.

And some have died.

Your experience is the norm. Unfortunately, because the last two generally occur more often than the first.

A loving, balanced family is such where each individual is respectful of another, respect his individuality, his personal space,
is supportive, compassionate and considerate of each other.

That doesn't mean of course saying witlessly "yes" to everything,
but recognizing wrong for wrong and right for right.

These guidelines are universal.

The best example here - the Judge who used to beat his daughter-
maybe he and his family looked "wonderful" on the outside but according to my outline, they still weren't. FAR from it.

btw you are supporting my point - if somebody had an 'horrible experience', which obviously can not be then "loving and supporting"
for these just exclude each other - then that person may later seek the drugs as a way to escape the horrific memories.

Fuzzy

A loving, balanced family is such where each individual is respectful of another, respect his individuality, his personal space,
is supportive, compassionate and considerate of each other.

That doesn't mean of course saying witlessly "yes" to everything,
but recognizing wrong for wrong and right for right.

These guidelines are universal.

The best example here - the Judge who used to beat his daughter-
maybe he and his family looked "wonderful" on the outside but according to my outline, they still weren't. FAR from it.

btw you are supporting my point - if somebody had an 'horrible experience', which obviously can not be then "loving and supporting"
for these just exclude each other - then that person may later seek the drugs as a way to escape the horrific memories.

Fuzzy

You really should go get some education and training prior to making attempts to psychoanalyze. You are making big mistakes in your assumptions.

Hmm, while catching up on this whole thread, and several discussion items from one of the debates in my college Anthropology class came up. Which, interestingly enough, started when a student posited that perhaps drinking alcohol (because of uncontaminated h20 was hard to come by) was being naturally selected for evolutionarily, and thus the reason for predispositions to addictions. The original posit still makes me wonder. But not sure if it can be proved though...

You live in a very, very strange world, Fuzzy. Legalization is not even in the first 100 issues that need to be addressed regarding narcotics. Legalization is not going to prevent people from getting addicted. Addiction is the issue. lol:

and since when do drug laws prevent addiction?

I think it may be around the corner. BTW, so many drug users are self medicating because traditional medicine has not addressed their problems appropriately.

I find that to be an arrogant statement. If that was true, then no one would relapse after drug treatment. Relapse rate after treatment is around 90%, making it the norm.

Then the addict is blamed even though they supposedly have a disease. When in fact, maybe it is the treatment that is flawed and is the blame.

I might be a great thief, and nobody can tell- it's still illegal...

I might be great at (any illegal activity that does not cause direct harm to another person) and it's STILL illegal.

I might choose to drive at 5 MPH over the speed limit, and otherwise follow all traffic laws... it's still breaking the law...

People that disagree with laws should get organized and change the laws, not just break them willy-nilly.

and what crime was I committing by taking morphine?

I find that to be an arrogant statement. If that was true, then no one would relapse after drug treatment. Relapse rate after treatment is around 90%, making it the norm.

Then the addict is blamed even though they supposedly have a disease. When in fact, maybe it is the treatment that is flawed and is the blame.

Once again, you have huge holes in your logic.

No it is not the treatment. It is the unavailability of treatment.

Got a source on that 90%?

Find it as arrogant as you wish. It is fact.

Back