Are Deaf People (from birth) Disabled?

I don't think we are "disabled."

However it does tick me off that it's expensive being deaf. Like a smoke alarm is ten times more for deaf people than hearing people.

Or that I need to pay $100 a month for a data plan AND voice plan, when the average hearing person can just opt for a voice plan at $40-$60 a month.

WHy do you pay for a voice plan at all? Can you use it? I only have a data plan and I don't think I actually know any deaf people who have a voice plan.:confused:

WHy do you pay for a voice plan at all? Can you use it? I only have a data plan and I don't think I actually know any deaf people who have a voice plan.:confused:

I am in Canada... we don't have data-only plan. Rogers, Telus and Bell are the only companies we have, and all of them require us to have a basic voice plan ($20-$40) in order to have a data-plan.

I am in Canada... we don't have data-only plan. Rogers, Telus and Bell are the only companies we have, and all of them require us to have a basic voice plan ($20-$40) in order to have a data-plan.

Can you write to the government about this? Would writing to a local paper works?

Text-only plans are easy to get. ;) Data-only is not as easy. :p

For the moment, I am just going to hold it off until we get the VRS in place, which is more of a concern right now than a data-only plan. Plus I am hoping to tour the mid-Atlantic, and while I am there, hopefully I can switch to a data-only carrier in the States while I am down there so I can understand the in-and-out of how the system works. :)

What exactly is a data-only plan and how does it differ from a text-only plan? :confused:

What exactly is a data-only plan and how does it differ from a text-only plan? :confused:

Allow you to surf the Internet on your cellphone or smartphone. Upload and download music, movies, pictures and so on. Basically... it's using an iPhone or BlackBerry.

Ironically, Canadians like to say they pay too much to support closed captioning and voice-to-text, yet they don't realize that the deaf people are subsidizing the HEARING people by paying voice plans we never use.

Last edited:
Back