Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

what the parent believes or wants to believe about raising the child, and what actually -is- appropriate for the child, aren't always the same. "Choice" is a misnomer as it implies an informed decision, when in fact, people are often led in a direction based on a variety of factors. Audism is one of those.

i really think if they never introduced CI,,,we'd have a lot stronger Deaf world by now, because the oralist would just give up...

No offense, but that sounds an awful lot like pulling others down to pull yourself up. The are tons of people out there who love their CIs

what the parent believes or wants to believe about raising the child, and what actually -is- appropriate for the child, aren't always the same. "Choice" is a misnomer as it implies an informed decision, when in fact, people are often led in a direction based on a variety of factors. Audism is one of those.

And ultimately it is up to the parent to choose which factors they will weigh.

I've tried hard to stay away from commenting lately in this thread, but I feel like I must jump in .. I saw somewhere recently (maybe even in this thread, or another thread here on AD, or maybe on the FB deaf forum) about how the majority of d/Deaf children grow up hating their parents' decisions/choices regarding school placement/choices. Even I'm one of them.

I totally get your point about it being up to the parent to choose/decide, I would like to think I'd be the same way. But when parents make decisions with what information they have, it's not always the best information, and those decisions can so much affect the child, and so negatively at times. I think that's what people here have been trying to say. On the other hand, how does a parent know they have the best to work with ...

Dixie big hugs. Everyone else here big hugs for sharing your stories

From my experience I absolutely agree that HOH and deaf kids are bullied much more than kids with normal hearing. Here are some factors I think:

They(the kids who are teasing or not sticking up for them) are learning this stuff is okay to do to a deaf/ hoh kid bc some people still think deaf/hoh are just plain stupid OR that there is "cure operation" for deafness they won't do and they are bringing it on themselves. I think teachers still don't speak up in most cases, and the other thing is the other kids/teachers/adults can easily say "oh that's not what I said they didn't hear me right"

Audism is also alive and well

I say some of these kids need to get someone to youtube these bullies and bring THAT into the media....bc it is still being treated like this kind of stuff doesn't exist-/and it happens to adults everyday too---if this were a racial case all hell would break loose---just as it should with bullying the deaf and HOH. This stuff needs to be a topic that's exposed to the media just as much as the " miracles of technology"

On the bright side, karma always comes back in a major way, i could tell some stories about my bullies, and from my experience from what I've seen and done myself you can become a successful accomplished person being hoh or deaf. And much much stronger.

Typos sorry!

Did want to add I had a moderate hearing loss and the bullying was verbal not physical

But the teachers and parents thought it was "funny" when I didn't hear and were very snarky about it. Here's what I did: I became a competitive dancer at a very young and often competed against the girls who teased me and blew them out of the water everytime. My fellow dancers were cool and didn't go to my school. I did that all through elementary and high school, sang in competitions and did okay but was in Advanced Choir, did theater and studied my butt off. And my Mom was constantly going to the principal when incidents occurred and the teachers when I was a kid. I took that anger and used it to succeed in dance and it really helped. But again, it still happens as an adult and the verbal abuse has stuck with me bc the treatment of adults is pretty ignorant at times. I always stand up for myself but when I can't hear what exactly they said I can't.

I've tried hard to stay away from commenting lately in this thread, but I feel like I must jump in .. I saw somewhere recently (maybe even in this thread, or another thread here on AD, or maybe on the FB deaf forum) about how the majority of d/Deaf children grow up hating their parents' decisions/choices regarding school placement/choices. Even I'm one of them.

I totally get your point about it being up to the parent to choose/decide, I would like to think I'd be the same way. But when parents make decisions with what information they have, it's not always the best information, and those decisions can so much affect the child, and so negatively at times. I think that's what people here have been trying to say. On the other hand, how does a parent know they have the best to work with ...

I agree, parents need to be informed. Unfortunately, as a parent there are no guarantees that they are making the correct decision even when presented with all of the facts. The situation isn't unique to deaf kids, parents make decisions every day for their kids and the kids often resent them for it.

If it were me I would research success rates and interview Drs and schools and go with the one that seemed like the best fit for my child.

What if the parents hold audist views? Would they choose the right path for their deaf children? :hmm:

It doesn't matter. That is their choice to make.

it does matter. This is what separates parents from placing a child in a school placement that is best for the child; and what places a child in a situation that is not ideal for them. It's hard as a hearing parent to see the difference.

Do you willingly want to place your child in a school where he/she gets bullied or ignored all day? Apples thrown at them? Pushed to the ground? All because they're sporting a set of HAs? I will assume not. Since you weren't early deafened, you really have no idea how horrendous it is for some kids who are wearing HAs at that age.

I dont mean to play the early-deafened vs late-deafened theology here. The fact remains this stuff does happen.

Grendel, who hasn't posted here lately, has her deaf daughter enrolled at a deaf school. Even though her daughter has CIs. Because she figured out the best placement for her daughter. She did right to not be audist about her daughter's school placement.

it does matter. This is what separates parents from placing a child in a school placement that is best for the child; and what places a child in a situation that is not ideal for them. It's hard as a hearing parent to see the difference.

Do you willingly want to place your child in a school where he/she gets bullied or ignored all day? Apples thrown at them? Pushed to the ground? All because they're sporting a set of HAs? I will assume not. Since you weren't early deafened, you really have no idea how horrendous it is for some kids who are wearing HAs at that age.

It is still the parents decision. Parents hold many different biases that will effect their children. We can only hope that parents will make they best decision for their child.

Grendel, who hasn't posted here lately, has her deaf daughter enrolled at a deaf school. Even though her daughter has CIs. Because she figured out the best placement for her daughter. She did right to not be audist about her daughter's school placement.

I support her decision as much as any other parent's. She struck me as very intelligent, I am sure she considered the options available to her daughter and made what she feels was the best choice.

It doesn't matter. That is their choice to make.

One former ADer who is a parent said he wouldn't allow his deaf child to have a teacher who is deaf who have no speech skills teaching his child. Just sad because that child could pick up audist attitudes towards others who are deaf like her. It is like a black parent telling his or her light-skinned black child not to associate with black people who are very dark skinned.

One former ADer who is a parent said he wouldn't allow his deaf child to have a teacher who is deaf who have no speech skills teaching his child. Just sad because that child could pick up audist attitudes towards others who are deaf like her. It is like a black parent telling his or her light-skinned black child not to associate with black people who are very dark skinned.

I don't believe that analogy fits. And again, ultimately that is for the parent to decide.

Very sad that I revived an old topic to tell my story, only for a bunch of people to totally change the topic into something that has absolutely nothing to do with the main topic of 'Are Deaf/HOH bullied in mainstream schools'.

Next time I'll just keep my life experiences to myself and let and old topic die.

Some people see it as such. When a child is subjected to a school environment that is mean, ridiculed, beat up, hurt, etc. (and this actually goes for ANY child, deaf or not) and the parents don't do anything about it, (which DOES happen for many deaf children -- I lived to tell about it now), what would you like to call it?

Back