Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

sadly young deaf have higher depression/and suicide rate per rata than hearing and mostly it due to bullying at school and discouraging sign,i am going by stats in uk.

sadly young deaf have higher depression/and suicide rate per rata than hearing and mostly it due to bullying at school and discouraging sign,i am going by stats in uk.

Again doesn't surprise me. The You Must Become Normal mentality. WHY is it that AG Bell and other pro oralists/inclusionists seem to brush under the rug the dirty secret that just b/c a kid is orally skilled, that doesn't mean they will reap all the rewards of the hearing world. Yes, oral skills are a nice thing to have......but they shouldn't be the be-all and end all of a dhh kid's education/toolbox.If a lot of those younger deaf had gone to deaf school and learned BSL, they'd be much better off emotionally. Why is it that emotional development and bullying are brushed under the rug or just talked about in a token way?

Again doesn't surprise me. The You Must Become Normal mentality. WHY is it that AG Bell and other pro oralists/inclusionists seem to brush under the rug the dirty secret that just b/c a kid is orally skilled, that doesn't mean they will reap all the rewards of the hearing world. Yes, oral skills are a nice thing to have......but they shouldn't be the be-all and end all of a dhh kid's education/toolbox.If a lot of those younger deaf had gone to deaf school and learned BSL, they'd be much better off emotionally. Why is it that emotional development and bullying are brushed under the rug or just talked about in a token way?

In general, people take bullying very seriously and few would just "brush it under the rug" when it comes down to it. No one wants to see any child getting bullied.

In general, people take bullying very seriously and few would just "brush it under the rug" when it comes down to it. No one wants to see any child getting bullied.

Sorry, Csign I strongly disagree. STRONGLY......and i was speaking specificly of AG Bell's attitude towards mainstreaming/inclusion.
Your kid is still in elementary....early grades too, if I recall. Come back in a few years. I mean right now social stuff is basicly on a ' you like ketchup? I like ketchup! We'll be best friends' level. Yes, there's nominally more attention paid to bullying, but it's still pretty much brushed under the rug in a lot of cases.....which is what happened to us, and which is still happening in a lot of cases......wait til middle and high school....now that is awful.....but the thing is, that dhh and glb kids and other minority kids face that attitude every single day....but its brushed under the rug....b/c after all the special needs kids are experiancing Inclusion (YAY) Meaning they're physically in the same learning space as nondisabled kids, but are severely isolated and ostracized. (not exactly the same as being called dyke or faggot or physically being beaten up or actively harassed (and trust me that bullying does happen with dhh and other disabled inlcluded kids too)

I have to agree with DD on some levels here. I also agree with CSign that no one wants to see children getting bullied. I think the main problem is that parents (and others) don't always see/understand the severity of the bullying going on, especially if the child doesn't give the full story of what took place. "This kid made fun of my hearing aids today" is entirely different from "This kid flicked my hearing aid and threw it in the garbage and said, 'that f*cking piece makes you look like a moron' etal." I endured so much bullying in my middle-school years, and there came a point where I stopped sharing with my parents the full details anymore. Many others do the same.

I have to agree with DD on some levels here. I also agree with CSign that no one wants to see children getting bullied. I think the main problem is that parents (and others) don't always see/understand the severity of the bullying going on, especially if the child doesn't give the full story of what took place. "This kid made fun of my hearing aids today" is entirely different from "This kid flicked my hearing aid and threw it in the garbage and said, 'that f*cking piece makes you look like a moron' etal." I endured so much bullying in my middle-school years, and there came a point where I stopped sharing with my parents the full details anymore. Many others do the same.

Thanks AlleyCat. And in addition, there's a HUGE difference between verbal abuse, and things like ostacization. (which IS a form of bullying) One thing I have noticed about parents of disabled (both dhh and others) kids who experiance inclusion, is that they are SO thrilled that their kid is being educated with "normal" kids that they don't see that the kid is experiancing "inclusion" at a VERY superfical level. Also, a lot of times early on the hearing or other nondisabled kids are playing with the disabled kid b/c they picked up on the vibes that their parents want them to play with the kid. And the kid doesn't complain b/c after all, they don't know anything else. They don't know what it's like to experaince a Deaf School or a sizable dhh program. (or blind/low vision or other low incidence disabilty program) ... in other words they don't know what it's like to really be an active part of a community, rather then existing on the fringes. Granted, sometimes disabled kids do have positive social experiances in the mainstream, but that usually happens in very diverse towns (like the type of town where gay and lesbian teens are fully accepted)

And then some of us are grateful to be allowed to exist on the fringe, and not have been exposed on a hillside as in ancient Roman times.

And in addition, when issues DO crop up, with bullying very often the parents and the kid will get the attitude " Oh why are you complaining? It's not that big of a deal. " Trust me.....it happens ....when I got obscene letters sent to me in 7th grade, my parents and I experianced the attitude " Oh Deafdyke and her parents are making a big deal out of some innocent "boys will be boys" pranks.

And then some of us are grateful to be allowed to exist on the fringe, and not have been exposed on a hillside as in ancient Roman times.

On the other hand Botte, that's basicly what inclusion is, socially.......Inclusion is very Darwinist and being thrown to the wolves.

My niece has aspergers and she was bulled and harassed all through school.
Kids where calling her house every 5 minutes leaving horrible messages , it got so bad her parents called the polices and they tapped their phone and where able to get the people names. Bullies go after anyone they feel is an easy target.

Sorry, Csign I strongly disagree. STRONGLY......and i was speaking specificly of AG Bell's attitude towards mainstreaming/inclusion.
Your kid is still in elementary....early grades too, if I recall. Come back in a few years. I mean right now social stuff is basicly on a ' you like ketchup? I like ketchup! We'll be best friends' level. Yes, there's nominally more attention paid to bullying, but it's still pretty much brushed under the rug in a lot of cases.....which is what happened to us, and which is still happening in a lot of cases......wait til middle and high school....now that is awful.....but the thing is, that dhh and glb kids and other minority kids face that attitude every single day....but its brushed under the rug....b/c after all the special needs kids are experiancing Inclusion (YAY) Meaning they're physically in the same learning space as nondisabled kids, but are severely isolated and ostracized. (not exactly the same as being called dyke or faggot or physically being beaten up or actively harassed (and trust me that bullying does happen with dhh and other disabled inlcluded kids too)

LOL. Kids in elementary school are way beyond "do you like ketchup?". Bullying does happen in elementary school, as it happens in middle school, as it happens in high school. It just takes different shapes at each level.

I've also asked you many times to stop with the, "you just wait and see...". I don't need to wait and see anything. I'm right there with my son, keeping an eye on the whole picture.

Beyond that, I don't know how you could "strongly disagree" with my statement that in general, people take bullying very seriously. Perhaps we just associate ourselves with different kinds of people. :dunno:

There is a national anti-bullying campaign going on right now, and my son's school is focusing on solutions to bullying so they definitely aren't brushing it under the rug. I suspect many schools across the U.S. are doing the same thing.

My niece has aspergers and she was bulled and harassed all through school.
Kids where calling her house every 5 minutes leaving horrible messages , it got so bad her parents called the polices and they tapped their phone and where able to get the people names. Bullies go after anyone they feel is an easy target.

That's terrible. I hope things have gotten better for her.

Bullying is a problem for deaf kids in all schools, not just in the mainstream. In MA right now there's a very high incidence of bullying in the schools for the deaf. Researchers from Gallaudet are teaming up with local schools and with hospitals to address the issue, trying to determine why they are finding more bullying in schools for the deaf than in the mainstream when they would have expected much less, and how it can be countered. I've been to meetings at our school solely focused on bullying as a pressing issue. It really is a serious problem, and seems to me that researchers, schools, school staff, teachers, and parents are all taking it very seriously and definitely not pushing it under the rug. Everyone seems to be grappling with it. Coming up with a solution isn't that easy, apparently. And I know that as someone who has had to address the issue, it's a very painful experience for the child AND for the people close to him/her.

Bullying is a problem for deaf kids in all schools, not just in the mainstream. In MA right now there's a very high incidence of bullying in the schools for the deaf. Researchers from Gallaudet are teaming up with local schools and with hospitals to address the issue, trying to determine why they are finding more bullying in schools for the deaf than in the mainstream when they would have expected much less, and how it can be countered. I've been to meetings at our school solely focused on bullying as a pressing issue. It really is a serious problem, and seems to me that researchers, schools, school staff, teachers, and parents are all taking it very seriously and definitely not pushing it under the rug. Everyone seems to be grappling with it. Coming up with a solution isn't that easy, apparently. And I know that as someone who has had to address the issue, it's a very painful experience for the child AND for the people close to him/her.

Oh thats sad. which deaf school is or two ?

I see my old school has prevent plan as well. It did show that it was in 2010. I assume they continues to do. thats good

That's a good point. Perpetrators are not isolated in any one particular demographic. I recall seeing that mentioned in at least one of the movies I've seen, but I can't recall which one it was. My ASl teacher talked about it, and I've also read posts here on the forum about people who were bullied at a school for the deaf.

I recall that in my old several schools they did put slow deaf kids in the normal deaf kids classes so the normal deaf kids did pick on slow deaf kids when teachers were not around.It has been like this for years. :|

my daughter is special needs and in residential home now,but when she was in her teens she had pi88 taken out of her calling her fatty, boys trying put hands down pants,but there was one thing she could do and that get brown belt in karati the bullies never got chance do it more than twice with her.i always tell her give them another chance then kick sh1t out of them

Back