Are BelTone Hearing Aids Junk?

Doug5

Reaction score
I have one and was happy with it when it was working. Its been less than 6months and its starting to give me problems. Should I look into other ha?

Be honest, you dont have to worry about hurting my feelings.

I believe it has a poor reputation. Some people may disagree.

Yeah, they seem to have some controversy. I read about Beltone salesman ripping off an old lady. Havent read anything about durability.

I was happy with mine when it was working. Its an analog bte. I just hope they fix it and doesnt give me any more problems after the warranty expires.

Beltone is just a rip off. They are not real audis, and they don't know how to properly fit a hearing aid.

I have one and was happy with it when it was working. Its been less than 6months and its starting to give me problems. Should I look into other ha?

Be honest, you dont have to worry about hurting my feelings.

Can I offer you something? You better go to a real Audiologist for your hearing aids. Don't buy a junk one. Are you deaf of hard of hearing? You should go to doctor and get a hearing test. Audiologist will get a best fit for you.

that sux. When it was working it seemed to work as good as any other ha Ive owned

Ha, I hated Beltone! I used to always stick my tongue at the Beltone lady. :P

Then again, I was just a little girl who was pissed at the time how I had to keep going back over and over and over regarding countless problems with earmolds & hearing aids.

STAY AWAY FROM THOSE PLACES!!

Seriously. A couple of years ago, I went to Miracle Ear just to get a hearing test done, out of curiosity. Keep in mind that I was born with a mod/severe sensorineural loss in both ears, and have had tons of visits to the audiologist, so I'm very familiar with my hearing loss and my needs.

The Miracle Ear "audi" gave me a very basic hearing screening, saw the dollar signs, and got very excited and pushy. Told me it was crucial that I purchase these very expensive aids because if I didn't, I would be completely deaf within 6 months. Please. Who do you think you're fooling? :roll:

These people are nothing but pushy salesmen who will say anything to convince you to purchase their hearing aids. You'll spend the same kind of money buying reputable aids from an audiologist, and you'll be much more satisfied with the performance.

Not always. I had gone to Miracle Ear for a few years before going the CI route. The one audi I saw for about 6 yrs was wonderful. He never pushed me about anything, always understood and was supportive of whatever decisions I made. I obivously no longer go there, being a CI'er. I shall stop in and say hello the next time I'm near there. :)

These people are nothing but pushy salesmen who will say anything to convince you to purchase their hearing aids. You'll spend the same kind of money buying reputable aids from an audiologist, and you'll be much more satisfied with the performance.[/QUOTE]

Not always. I had gone to Miracle Ear for a few years before going the CI route. The one audi I saw for about 6 yrs was wonderful. He never pushed me about anything, always understood and was supportive of whatever decisions I made. I obivously no longer go there, being a CI'er. I shall stop in and say hello the next time I'm near there. :)

These people are nothing but pushy salesmen who will say anything to convince you to purchase their hearing aids. You'll spend the same kind of money buying reputable aids from an audiologist, and you'll be much more satisfied with the performance.
[/QUOTE]

You must have been lucky enough to have found someone who went against the seemingly normal company procedure. Miracle Ear doesn't exactly have a good reputation, and in my case, this particular office told me blatant lies in an attempt to make a sale. I still stand by my opinion that anyone with a significant hearing loss should visit an audiologist so that they can make a good decision and good investment in their hearing aids. We all know that decent HAs certainly aren't cheap! :)

I'm probably the only person who will give you a positive report on Beltone. :aw: That was the brand my parents went with when they discovered my hearing loss in the 1960's (I was 4 at the time). So it was what I grew up with and that's what sounded normal to me.

My Beltone HA's always lasted FOREVER. I got 10-15 years out of them easily. Once I was an adult and in charge of getting my own HA's, I did try other brands. I couldn't stand them. Nothing made me hear as well as Beltone, so I stuck with them.

The pair I was wearing most recently were analog bi-CROS Beltones that I got in 1993. They were 15 freaking years old and worked great still -- the only repair I ever had on them was for the T-switch. I wore it out when I was working a job that (foolishly) had me on the switchboard quite a lot -- I was constantly switching the t-switch back and forth. Other than that, I never had problems with them.

I had to retire my trusty HAs in April when I suddenly went completely deaf. Nothing, not even the strongest HAs they had me wear for a CI evaluation, would help me hear anything. So I have my old HA's in a box in my bedroom now. :( (I'm getting bilateral CI's on July 22nd, BTW)

My husband also wears a HA and he swears the Beltone bi-CROS HA's I had were Phonak brand with the Beltone name on them (he has Phonak bi-CROS HAs and they look identical). Who knows though -- most hearing aids looked alike at that time, in the 1990s.

In any case, I actually never knew Beltone had such a bad reputation til I met my husband and he mentioned it. All I knew was that they really helped me and were very, very dependable. I guess I just got lucky! :)

Back