Approval for Surgery!

A pre-op is done just prior to surgery typically a week to a couple of days. It a way for the hospital to check one's vitals (make sure you are okay and well enough) and go over any questions one might have before the big day.

Hmmm I didn't have one of those. It must be one of those things that vary from centre to centre?

R2D2,

Actually, this is a typical American practice (and not specific to getting a CI). I may be wrong but I have had several outpatient surgeries along with getting my CI and each one of them required a pre-op visit. The whole idea of it is twofold (I believe)...one to make sure your patient was healthy for surgery and two to keep your patient load predictable (i.e., as in keep the money flowing...:whistle:).

Pre-Op also involve blood works, vital stats (weight blood pressure etc) :D Also meet with Anth. nurse, the person in charge of putting you sleep with general anth.

I have a question...

WHat is pre-op?

DevBaby:

Pre-op is short for pre-operative, it is an appointment usually a week before surgery with the doctor for labwork, some places would want chest x-rays, and some places would want a EKG. It all depends on the type of surgery one is having. For an example, a doctor is not going to want to operate on a patient that has pnuemonia! One has to be in good health to be operated on. Hope this helps you understand. :)

Oh i see.. Thanks for the info =)

I had to make my own appt with other doc for my blood work and Vaccine shot.
My family doc was supposed to do them but doesnt take my medicaid card anymore so i had to go hopstial for the blood test and a doc few min from me for the Vaccine shot. I had to fax the paper to my CI doctor.

Hear Again:

LOL...you were probably reading too fast? heheh :giggle:

Blazing Sunset,

I think you're right. :) Sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain. (Okay everyone...Get your minds out of the gutter. I was talking about reading AD with my Braille display.) LOL!

Um hear again, I didnt even think that until you said it. By the way, i almost fell out of my chair when you said that!:clit:

Um hear again, I didnt even think that until you said it. By the way, i almost fell out of my chair when you said that!:clit:

Lillys dad,

LOL! Based on some of the posts I've read on AD, I thought I'd cover my butt just in case my message was misinterpreted. :giggle:

Oh i see.. Thanks for the info =)

I had to make my own appt with other doc for my blood work and Vaccine shot.
My family doc was supposed to do them but doesnt take my medicaid card anymore so i had to go hopstial for the blood test and a doc few min from me for the Vaccine shot. I had to fax the paper to my CI doctor.

DevBaby:

You're welcome! I have to get the shot and have labwork done too! :) When is your surgery?

Blazing Sunset,

I think you're right. :) Sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain. (Okay everyone...Get your minds out of the gutter. I was talking about reading AD with my Braille display.) LOL!

Hear Again:

LOL...Sometimes I leave out words when I write (thinking too fast) and will have to go back to add a word or two in! :)

I had an exciting and interesting day today! I went to the New Ears Party (it was highly recommended by my Audi on the CI team that I attend). It was my first time going there and I didn't know what to expect.

When I arrived, everyone was communicating with each other. I conversed with a few people and learned a lot! It was interesting to see a couple of them had just had the implant only a month ago and already got hooked up!

There was another lady that came up to a group of us introducing herself and carried a conversation with us. Only a few minutes later, she showed that she had a CI on her left ear and then showed us her right ear. There was nothing there but a small device (about the size of a penny) right behind the ear. I thought, "What is that?!?" but then another lady asked her what it was. She called it the Inneraid and that it was 22 years old. She said she wasn't using it because they don't make parts for it anymore. So, I am guessing that something may have went wrong with it and she couldn't get it fixed. However, she was happy with the CI on her left ear. Another lady I met happened to hear about that as she walked up to us and she explained to me that it was what they call now, a BAHA.

The party was three hours long and I enjoyed going there to meet some new people and hear their stories about their experiences. Additionally, the party I was at was held at the Speech School I attended when I was younger. I was surprised it was still all the same years later! The Cochlear Implant Association do three things anually, a party, a retreat, and a picnic! :)

Blaze, the BAHA is a special kind of HA. There is one little guy at CID (my daughters oral deaf school) that has a BAHA. It stands for Bone Anchored Hearing Aid. I believe it is for people with damaged/nonexistant auditory nerves. It is anchored on the mastoid bone on the skull and turns sound into vibrations that vibrate the mast oid bone, I think the way it works is with training, the brain learns to interprit the vibrations as speech. I do not know much about them at all. This is just what I've heard.

Blaze, the BAHA is a special kind of HA. There is one little guy at CID (my daughters oral deaf school) that has a BAHA. It stands for Bone Anchored Hearing Aid. I believe it is for people with damaged/nonexistant auditory nerves. It is anchored on the mastoid bone on the skull and turns sound into vibrations that vibrate the mast oid bone, I think the way it works is with training, the brain learns to interprit the vibrations as speech. I do not know much about them at all. This is just what I've heard.

Actually, they're for conductive losses, I think...you would still need a working auditory nerve and cochlea to benefit from a BAHA.

Here's info about the BAHA system: BAHA

The BAHA is designed for people with unilateral sensorineural hearing loss (single sided deafness/SSD), mixed or conductive hearing loss.

If you'd like to learn more about the experiences of BAHA users, check out this forum:

The Baha Users Support FORUM - Index

Last edited:
Back