Apple sued over iOS8 storage

I'm glad! I glanced over the headline this am but didn't make the time to read why they were getting nailed. Since you and I are here, I'm assuming we both have some computer-knowledge.

1. Say we each buy a new computer or replace our current harddrive and memory. Harddrive is supposed to be one TB. It's never the number advertised. Same with memory. It never is what it's said to be. Doesn't make it right.
2. Maybe the difference this time is just what they focus on - the % of the lack of how much we're supposed to have.
3. I LOATHE CLOUD. It's probably one of the biggest farces pulled over on us in years and it's not done messing us over. It will get worse and that's when I will pull the plug. I've seen and I've seen a lot through the years. I will never use it to store anything on it that's of any value. I would never suggest to anyone they use it to store their personal and unencrypted or encrypted data on it. It appears that those who do will never know how much space they really have.

I have an Apple phone because when I had hearing, it was always the clearest of the cellphones. Now, I can't understand a thing with the CI. Since Apple does not allow deletion of pushed OS, I'm stuck leaving those uninstalled. I rarely turn it on. It's for emergencies only. I'm computer-literate and loathe it. Apple's turn to be sliced and diced.

Uh, does that answer your question?

I'm glad! I glanced over the headline this am but didn't make the time to read why they were getting nailed. Since you and I are here, I'm assuming we both have some computer-knowledge.

1. Say we each buy a new computer or replace our current harddrive and memory. Harddrive is supposed to be one TB. It's never the number advertised. Same with memory. It never is what it's said to be. Doesn't make it right.
2. Maybe the difference this time is just what they focus on - the % of the lack of how much we're supposed to have.
3. I LOATHE CLOUD. It's probably one of the biggest farces pulled over on us in years and it's not done messing us over. It will get worse and that's when I will pull the plug. I've seen and I've seen a lot through the years. I will never use it to store anything on it that's of any value. I would never suggest to anyone they use it to store their personal and unencrypted or encrypted data on it. It appears that those who do will never know how much space they really have.

I have an Apple phone because when I had hearing, it was always the clearest of the cellphones. Now, I can't understand a thing with the CI. Since Apple does not allow deletion of pushed OS, I'm stuck leaving those uninstalled. I rarely turn it on. It's for emergencies only. I'm computer-literate and loathe it. Apple's turn to be sliced and diced.

It does, and more. However..... I still want an Apple phone. Why? Because for Sorenson VRS mobile VP, there is no limit of saved contacts. For Android, there's only 500 allowed.

For storage, I just saw 2 TB external storage, and I was :shock: at how expensive those are. There's also the 500 GB one, too. That's something I wouldn't mind having someday. :hmm:

"only 500 allowed". Who the heck has 500 contacts? I'm sure some people do have that many but good grief. I don't think I'd base getting a phone on how many contacts a VRS provider allows on iOS or Android...lol- JMHO.

500 GB storage internal drive is still a little pricey but not too bad. I had a 1TB internal but the thing failed after about 1.5-2 years; have been told that it may be better to stick with 500 GB unless you have a shed load of data you need to store- an average person doesn't need that much space- yet anyway.

I get the whole concept of the cloud and access anywhere but still leery of putting anything there- clouds have about as much of a chance of corrupting, crashing or getting hacked as well. Maybe in time it will be better but that will be a while yet.

The whole "stated" vs "actual" size of hard drives, memory cards etc drives me nuts-- I've since learned to always think of it a little less than what they SAY it is because of added software that take up space...

"only 500 allowed". Who the heck has 500 contacts? I'm sure some people do have that many but good grief. I don't think I'd base getting a phone on how many contacts a VRS provider allows on iOS or Android...lol- JMHO.

500 GB storage internal drive is still a little pricey but not too bad. I had a 1TB internal but the thing failed after about 1.5-2 years; have been told that it may be better to stick with 500 GB unless you have a shed load of data you need to store- an average person doesn't need that much space- yet anyway.

I get the whole concept of the cloud and access anywhere but still leery of putting anything there- clouds have about as much of a chance of corrupting, crashing or getting hacked as well. Maybe in time it will be better but that will be a while yet.

The whole "stated" vs "actual" size of hard drives, memory cards etc drives me nuts-- I've since learned to always think of it a little less than what they SAY it is because of added software that take up space...

You never know, DeafDucky, just never know. With my photography style, I'm sure to be trading contact information with other people sometime this year.

Last paragraph, deafducky: Yeah, that's what I sort of said. But since it's making the news, I have to wonder what else is behind this. We both agree the numbers are skewed due to SW but then there wouldn't be a class-action lawsuit against it. Something else is up. MS probably has a website with their comparable data hopefully put out by an independent business. That would make a better comparison for us.

Thanks for your being leery about the cloud. I apologized to my partner the other night for being so cautious about computers (cloud, IP addr., cameras taped over on our computers, and Facebook) and she said that I lived through more of this than many people and each time I get alarmed about something and why, it people eventually say the same thing. We're all being herded in a particular direction and cloud is a good answer to making our data more-easily hacked on servers out of our hands.

Even with casually trading info, 500 is a LOT. Business wise I suppose I could see that happening (recalling those years of Rolodexes...). Keep in mind that's for ME... I have friends on FB who have anywhere from 500 to 1,500 'friends' on their FB friend list for any number of reasons-- various parts of their lives- family, old high school/college friends, friends from past clubs/interests, friends they've met online (and sometimes off) and even people who play the same game (Farmville and Cafe World etc etc); now LinkedIn I see that more- networking- so a much higher contacts list #. Just boggles my mind, I guess, having THAT many 'contacts'; as you may have guessed- I am not very good with 'networking' even though all the pundits pound it into our heads you MUST network! must must must...ugh.

Thanks for your being leery about the cloud. I apologized to my partner the other night for being so cautious about computers (cloud, IP addr., cameras taped over on our computers, and Facebook) and she said that I lived through more of this than many people and each time I get alarmed about something and why, it people eventually say the same thing. We're all being herded in a particular direction and cloud is a good answer to making our data more-easily hacked on servers out of our hands.

Yeah. I'm not sure why I'm so wary and more careful- maybe because I've been online longer than the current generation has, work(ed) in IT or just read a lot more than most about IT stuff.

thanks for reminding me of my camera- my 'cover' sticky note got lost so gotta put another one on there lol.

Even with casually trading info, 500 is a LOT. Business wise I suppose I could see that happening (recalling those years of Rolodexes...). Keep in mind that's for ME... I have friends on FB who have anywhere from 500 to 1,500 'friends' on their FB friend list for any number of reasons-- various parts of their lives- family, old high school/college friends, friends from past clubs/interests, friends they've met online (and sometimes off) and even people who play the same game (Farmville and Cafe World etc etc); now LinkedIn I see that more- networking- so a much higher contacts list #. Just boggles my mind, I guess, having THAT many 'contacts'; as you may have guessed- I am not very good with 'networking' even though all the pundits pound it into our heads you MUST network! must must must...ugh.

Yeah. I'm not sure why I'm so wary and more careful- maybe because I've been online longer than the current generation has, work(ed) in IT or just read a lot more than most about IT stuff.

thanks for reminding me of my camera- my 'cover' sticky note got lost so gotta put another one on there lol.
DeafDucky, I think our thinking is pretty much on par with each other and our views work together well for different reasons. I don't feel paranoid (I'm not), I know a lot of what goes on out there because I've got the experience and you do, too.

I may have said this (I apologize if so). One of my best managers (from IBM and my age) I had in my late 20s/30s recently died. It rang loud and clear and shook a lot of us up. I suggested to his girlfriend she put a post of him on Facebook but Pat said none of his connections touch it and I don't either! It's too dangerous with people seeing your personal info out there.

Linkedin is tricky and yes, they funnel your thinking into you that you can make connections. It's another social network but here, recruiters tend to bug people in management jobs looking for open slots. It was unprofessional. Never helped me (one manager found me and wanted me but I couldn't take the slot) but may have helped others. I don't think there's a problem with your networking or not. If you need help, though, send me a message and we'll figure it out together.

Contact lists become a lovely plethora of data for hackers and I tend to be very careful with them and keep them small. So, phone or computer you know people are out there keeping nasty OS installed - like it or not - and nabbing your information.

Last edited:
I've gotten some good leads with contacts via LinkedIn but none have lead to any sort of job yet :( . Ironically though, almost every one of my jobs I got through someone contacting me about my resume on monster.com (or maybe dice.com in one instance). My very first job (non-IT and after college) I got the 'old fashioned way'- phone book and (euugh) phone calls (omg painful...)then in person interviews. My first IT job was through the business school's contacts (the one I attended).

I may take you up on that and send a PM your way.

I've gotten some good leads with contacts via LinkedIn but none have lead to any sort of job yet :( . Ironically though, almost every one of my jobs I got through someone contacting me about my resume on monster.com (or maybe dice.com in one instance). My very first job (non-IT and after college) I got the 'old fashioned way'- phone book and (euugh) phone calls (omg painful...)then in person interviews. My first IT job was through the business school's contacts (the one I attended).

I may take you up on that and send a PM your way.
I didn't like the deaf and hard of hearing group on linkedin butttt, you may. You also have the option of hiding the group name if it hasn't changed in six years. I ended up taking one guy (with my like-mindset - scary, I know) and we corresponded offline because we were

Monster is or was an Indian-owned company. Dice is but is located in the states (augh used to be anyway, as of six years ago). My pulse on (un)employment (even with work) was always based on what I saw and knew and on the forums on Dice. I liked keeping track of where things were going. But I think the forum has been cleaned up, so I'm not sure how helpful it is.

why? I think cloud is great. but yes - Apple does a terrible job at it.

what is so bad about cloud?

I thought cloud means any time you take a picture or anything that will go to my own cloud. I have never used the cloud because i do not know how.

The storage sizes are still honest. It's still 8gb/16/etc., available total when fully formatted and wiped, but they (apple) didn't state how much space is going to be allocated to the OS and other developer level stuff.

Partition size available and allocation has been misleading for a long time. Although, some companies take a truthful attempt and add an asterisk on their ads * with a hint like "___ storage available as userspace" under the storage size.

Best bet is in the future, they may have to doing disclaimers on their ads to avoid legal battles over the issue.

what is so bad about cloud?

I thought cloud means any time you take a picture or anything that will go to my own cloud. I have never used the cloud because i do not know how.

Cloud just means your pictures and other media can be stored online. Remember Jennifer Lawrence and other scandal stuff from last year? They got their Apple iCloud hacked/phished or whatever.

The only downside with cloud is it means that anyone who is a serious hacker can attempt to get into your stuff you put on your cloud if they wanted to.
Chances are, if you are not famous, or don't really have online hacker enemies/friends you will probably not be much of a target.

Cloud just means your pictures and other media can be stored online. Remember Jennifer Lawrence and other scandal stuff from last year? They got their Apple iCloud hacked/phished or whatever.

The only downside with cloud is it means that anyone who is a serious hacker can attempt to get into your stuff you put on your cloud if they wanted to.
Chances are, if you are not famous, or don't really have online hacker enemies/friends you will probably not be much of a target.

True. I need to learn how to use icloud for pictures only. LOL. one day i will.

thansk naisho.

I didn't like the deaf and hard of hearing group on linkedin butttt, you may. You also have the option of hiding the group name if it hasn't changed in six years. I ended up taking one guy (with my like-mindset - scary, I know) and we corresponded offline because we were

Monster is or was an Indian-owned company. Dice is but is located in the states (augh used to be anyway, as of six years ago). My pulse on (un)employment (even with work) was always based on what I saw and knew and on the forums on Dice. I liked keeping track of where things were going. But I think the forum has been cleaned up, so I'm not sure how helpful it is.
I wasn't aware of any deaf groups on LinkedIn.. I'll have to look into that one. I do have a few deaf friends as contacts but all of them are not in my field (IT).

Yeah.. monster was MUCH better when I first started using it over 10 years ago. It's a lot different now than it was then. That's what happened to CareerBuilder- they took a nose dive and isn't the best anymore. I've been looking through Indeed.com but even then there are so many job sites that feel more like spam than anything else.

Jiro said:
why? I think cloud is great. but yes - Apple does a terrible job at it.

Thanks for that insight.. I wondered. I do have Verizon Cloud but I haven't read anything good about that one either plus most put a limit on how much space you can have before you have to start shelling out money (that I don't necessarily have at the moment) so for the time being clouds aren't in my foreseeable future. Still feels like the cloud concept is in its infancy even though for the majority of (non-famous) people it could generally be okay.

Since I don't own any Apple products whatsoever, I can't say too much about Apple Cloud. However, I do know that Microsoft and Google do a much better job securing pictures and such, and SkyDrive from Microsoft is actually pretty good. Impressive, too. G+ is tops, though.

Since I don't own any Apple products whatsoever, I can't say too much about Apple Cloud. However, I do know that Microsoft and Google do a much better job securing pictures and such, and SkyDrive from Microsoft is actually pretty good. Impressive, too. G+ is tops, though.

"much better job" securing pix? pretty much all services are same thing when it comes to storing photos in cloud. the only difference is... a competitive price

I checked and it's now called Microsoft OneDrive... replacing SkyDrive. many cloud services use Amazon server farms.

"much better job" securing pix? pretty much all services are same thing when it comes to storing photos in cloud.

the only difference is... a competitive price

Maybe. Haven't you noticed that neither OneDrive nor Google+ haven't announced they have been hacked into? They did upgrade their security not that long ago, after all. Plus, Google isn't exactly a piece of cake to hack into, either.

Thanks for that insight.. I wondered. I do have Verizon Cloud but I haven't read anything good about that one either plus most put a limit on how much space you can have before you have to start shelling out money (that I don't necessarily have at the moment) so for the time being clouds aren't in my foreseeable future. Still feels like the cloud concept is in its infancy even though for the majority of (non-famous) people it could generally be okay.

Verizon Cloud? I would avoid it because if you change/discontinue the service... it's gone.

Back