Apple newbies

webexplorer

Reaction score
Tips and tricks for Apple newbies.

The new OS X operating system has a lot of advantages over Microsoft's Windows.

By Al Fasoldt
(Newhouse News Service)

If you're a new OS X user who switched from Windows, you might have some basic questions about your new operating system.

- Do I still need antivirus software?

No. There are no OS X viruses, so stop worrying. If you do install AV software, it will block Windows viruses that are unwittingly sent to you via e-mail from hijacked Windows PCs. But your Mac is unaffected by Windows viruses, so you don't need to block them anyway.

- Don't I need protection against spyware?

No. All spyware is actually Windows spyware. There are rumors that software companies will start making anti-spyware programs for OS X Macs, and no doubt they will do such a thing if they can make money doing it. But there is no spyware for OS X, and that means you don't need such "protection."

- Where can I find the kind of software I was used to running under WIndows? You know, freeware stuff and that kind of thing.

The best OS X software site is Version Tracker at www.versiontracker.com/macosx . Other sites are www.macupdate.com and www.apple.com/downloads/macosx . There are hundreds of other Mac OS X files sites; of those, the best might be osx.hyperjeff.net .

- I love my new Mac and like to read what others think. Are there any sites like that?

Yes, a lot of them. Start with Mac Daily News at www.macdailynews.com for news and developments relating to OS X Macs. Other good sites: Accelerate Your Mac at www.xlr8yourmac.com , MacSlash at macslash.org , MacRumors at www.macrumors.com and one of the most useful Mac-rleated sites, MacOSXhints at www.macosxhints.com . For general searches, there's a Google search site just for Macs. It's at www.google.com/mac .

- Help! I can never find windows that are underneath other windows. Why did Apple design OS X this way?

Apple built Expose into OS X so you can "explode" all windows so that all of them are easy to find. Just press F9 to spread them all out on the screen and click on the one you want. If F9 doesn't work on your new OS X Mac, someone in our family changed the key assignment. FInd out what it has assigned to by opening System Preferences and choosing Dashboard & Expose.

- Now that I am using iPhoto, I realize how badly Windows needs something like iPhoto included with the computer. Way to go Apple! But I'm having a hard time getting pictures into iPHoto from the CDs I've been saving pictures on. What's the secret?

It's easy. Run iPhoto. Then put the CD into the drive, and when the disk icon appears on the desktop double click on it and locate the pictures. Select them all by pressing Cmd-A and click on any selected picture without letting go of the mouse. Pause a little and then drag the pictures into iPhoto's window.

I'm not surprised because I've been using Mac OS X on my Mac since 2000 or 2001, I forget. I haven't got any spyware or viruses on my system, I don't bother getting those software because Mac is unaffected by them. I've been using Macs since 1993, so I'm not really a newbie. :)

Don't bother download AIM, use Apple's iChat. Unless, you have second screenname.

Keep in mind, iChat is lightfeather program (more quick to loading) than native AIM.

EDGE said:
Don't bother download AIM, use Apple's iChat. Unless, you have second screenname.

Keep in mind, iChat is lightfeather program (more quick to loading) than native AIM.

Oh that sounds good to me.

EDGE said:

And if you need protocols other than AIM and Jabber (ie MSN, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, OpenNap, Yahoo!, Zephyr, etc.) that's what Adium is for.

I use Adium X. It's Yahoo, AIM, MSN, etc in one program based on GAIM engine.

I got a free satellite map from Google. It is really amazing software, and perhaps far better than any software I have ever seen. Fortunately, it is compatible both on Mac OX and Windows/XP. www.earth.google.com

webexplorer said:
I got a free satellite map from Google. It is really amazing software, and perhaps far better than any software I have ever seen. Fortunately, it is compatible both on Mac OX and Windows/XP. www.earth.google.com

Window already have long long time ago. Welcome to 2005.

i am not a apple or mac newbies cuz i already know about them
cuz of my brother he works at apple

i have my mac laptop since 2003 but i know about apple since it started smile

I've been around Apple since I was in college and finally got one about two years ago. I would so not go back to PC's. So many things you can do on Mac's just as you can to PC's. I enjoy it :) But not a newbie to Mac either.

First time to touch Apple when i was very young in 1985. Later I use apple lot at high school. I never own apple in my home before. Just put Mac O/S in my pc and it work very well. Heheh.

Neo said:
First time to touch Apple when i was very young in 1985. Later I use apple lot at high school. I never own apple in my home before. Just put Mac O/S in my pc and it work very well. Heheh.

1. did you got internet work on there?
2. Any hardward work on that os? lolololololol

moonflower said:
i am not a apple or mac newbies cuz i already know about them
cuz of my brother he works at apple

i have my mac laptop since 2003 but i know about apple since it started smile

Which is 1984, right?
:D

Back