Apple iPhone Announced

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Apple recently introduced the iPhone. Unlike traditional cell phones, the iPhone sets itself apart from others by having no keyboard but a touchscreen to control the phone’s features. You can think of the iPhone as a widescreen iPod to make phone calls, send emails, browse the Internet, listen to music and take pictures. And, yes, the iPhone’s display contains a full QWERTY keyboard!

The prices depend on which model you purchase. The 4GB model goes for $499 and the 8GB model goes for $599, both with a 2-year contract with Cingular, the official carrier of the iPhone.

Now, the specs and features are:

- 320×480 3.5″ touchscreen at 160ppi
- Just 11.6mm thick, thinner than the Motorola Q and Samsung BlackJack
- Quad-band GSM plus EDGE
- Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
- Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
- 2.0 megapixel camera
- Mobile version of OS X
- 4GB or 8GB
- Visual voicemail
- Up to 16 hours of playback (iPod functionality)

See pictures at Qwerty keyboard phone news, reviews, and community - QwertyPhones.com

Yeah, I heard and from the description, I'd say the products of the other major players don't have anything like this. Gonna throw away my Sidekick come June!

I don't really get the big deal about this. There are many phone models available today that have mp3 playback and internet/e-mail capabilities. Even the Sidekick 3 can do all this.

While it's an exciting development, it's got nothing special over other phones for the deaf. I want to see if the keyboard is any good before I pass judgement. There's no video conferencing capability on it, at any rate.

Apple - iPhone

Take a look at all what iPhone has to offer. It's the real deal.

I've seen what it has to offer. A Palm Treo 650 can do all the same things it can do, and its been out long before this.

While its a cool device, its not exactly the wheel reinvented.

guido, all other cell/smart phone are "hard to use" and they all have kludgy keyboard and stylus does not do justice.

this iPhone has multitouch meaning it has touchscreen.

now remember we saw a video of new R&D computer that employ touchscreen without mouse or keyboard and you use finger to zoom in and out. and move image around.. remember that video.. we saw that here in AD few months ago..

Apple was involved in that R&D as well. :D

now this iPhone is a smartphone and is in the catgegory of "easy to use"

as I view this is a MS Mobile and SK Killer

Now see what these people has to say.. one of them said that MS is clueless about multitouch and said that MS must include Multitouch if want to stay alive in cell phone market.
msmobiles.com/f :: View topic - New competitor for Windows Mobile phones: Apple iPhone - what now with Windows Mobile ? (before you read the thread in that link, see the link in first post to read the article)

I have been mulling over which to get, Treo or SK but now that Apple has released iPhone so I am going to go for iPhone this summer as long FCC approve it.

It's based on slimmed down mac os x. of course I do not see iChat but chance are there will be update to include ichat (aim) That's okay becasue it has SMS text messaging.

see the link that Banjo provided to view demo.. it's real deal!

The browser is Safari ! like Mac OS X!

guido, all other cell/smart phone are "hard to use" and they all have kludgy keyboard and stylus does not do justice.

this iPhone has multitouch meaning it has touchscreen.

now remember we saw a video of new R&D computer that employ touchscreen without mouse or keyboard and you use finger to zoom in and out. and move image around.. remember that video.. we saw that here in AD few months ago..

Apple was involved in that R&D as well. :D

now this iPhone is a smartphone and is in the catgegory of "easy to use"

as I view this is a MS Mobile and SK Killer

Now see what these people has to say.. one of them said that MS is clueless about multitouch and said that MS must include Multitouch if want to stay alive in cell phone market.
msmobiles.com/f :: View topic - New competitor for Windows Mobile phones: Apple iPhone - what now with Windows Mobile ? (before you read the thread in that link, see the link in first post to read the article)

I have been mulling over which to get, Treo or SK but now that Apple has released iPhone so I am going to go for iPhone this summer as long FCC approve it.

It's based on slimmed down mac os x. of course I do not see iChat but chance are there will be update to include ichat (aim) That's okay becasue it has SMS text messaging.

see the link that Banjo provided to view demo.. it's real deal!

The browser is Safari ! like Mac OS X!

Yup, MS is always copied from other companies like iPhone, iPod, PS3 (with HDMI) and other stuff since they got no sharing with idea on other companies.

I am sure within 1 to 3 years there will be touchscreen on most of these technological gadgets which would really be better because I remember on the news that people were getting sore thumbs from using the Blackberry's small keyboard and while Sidekick has a bigger, more easier to use keyboard. It would be nice to have touchscreen that is very light and touches just like a feather and is extremely easy to use with no stress involved. :) :thumb:

I think it's really really reallly silly that people want to jump on this thinking it'll be the best thing since sliced bread. The same thing happened with the Sidekick 2, Sidekick 3, and so on. There are things that make even me, a greedy cell phone user, hesitate to want this phone. I don't believe even for a minute that the touchscreen UI will be as perfect as people believe it'll be. I think it's great to have a widescreen device and a massively thin phone, but again, I'm waiting until the reviews come in.

I agree, it will be interesting to see if a QWERTY keyboard on a touchscreen is really useable - it seems like the lack of tactile feedback would be a big negative.

However, there's the potential for video chat - it has a camera in it, and EDGE has broadband-ish speeds, right? Depending on the orientation of the camera (which could easily be changed, if necessary, by something like this), anyway. And it runs OS X, so the only X factor will be the speed of the hardware. iChat with video might run on it, and I bet HOVRS is looking at how to integrate the iPhone into their offerings.

I think it's really really reallly silly that people want to jump on this thinking it'll be the best thing since sliced bread. The same thing happened with the Sidekick 2, Sidekick 3, and so on. There are things that make even me, a greedy cell phone user, hesitate to want this phone. I don't believe even for a minute that the touchscreen UI will be as perfect as people believe it'll be. I think it's great to have a widescreen device and a massively thin phone, but again, I'm waiting until the reviews come in.

Ok, I'm waiting for June, pending......LOL! That better, Dennis?

I agree, it will be interesting to see if a QWERTY keyboard on a touchscreen is really useable - it seems like the lack of tactile feedback would be a big negative.

However, there's the potential for video chat - it has a camera in it, and EDGE has broadband-ish speeds, right? Depending on the orientation of the camera (which could easily be changed, if necessary, by something like this), anyway. And it runs OS X, so the only X factor will be the speed of the hardware. iChat with video might run on it, and I bet HOVRS is looking at how to integrate the iPhone into their offerings.

You might be disappointed to hear that Apple is saying they won't provide the software development kit to programmers (1st party applications only, no chance for HOVRS to get the kit and develop something for their own application)

Cite here:

Apple VPs confirm no 3rd party iPhone apps - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

That is massively disappointing. I'm sure some will hack it, but definitely don't think video conferencing will happen....

You might be disappointed to hear that Apple is saying they won't provide the software development kit to programmers (1st party applications only, no chance for HOVRS to get the kit and develop something for their own application)

Cite here:

That is massively disappointing. I'm sure some will hack it, but definitely don't think video conferencing will happen....

That is a bummer - Apple has been friendly to the hacker market in the past. Still, I'm sure hacks will be made - "Can't stop the signal" and all that.

Cite here:

the article by TUAW is kinda wrong when it comes to the glass screen.

they said it is same as ipod. nope. Apple went thru lots of different iteration of glasses to get what Apple wants.

see this blog;
Some Hands-On Time With the iPhone - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog

anything apple puts an "I" on the front of its name thats not a computer seems to get press. Its pop culture, marketing, hype,etc..

I am a longtime Mac user anyway and I can't wait to trade my Treo 650 for the iphone, as long as the keyboard is good on it.

is Prada Phone clone of IPHONE?? !!

It looks like the iPhone won't have as great of a launch as everyone thinks. The prada phone has a working demo out and its show here on youtube.

YouTube - Prada Phone

What do you think about the Prada phone? With it stealing most of the iPhone's touch screen...

it may not be good idea for deaf to own iPhone during the lack keyboard to typing during the touch-screen only. It's more slow to typing. I have experienc with original PDA without QWERTY available and had to "write" into character by time and time as fast I could.

And it wouldn't be much entertrainment since there is no CC or subtitle available when purchase to download movie/tv show. And there seem have no video mode under camera as camcord. That kind something dissappointment. It would be neat if there is a way to install Photoshop on iphone since it's running by Mac OS X. But the size memory may be problem to suffer.

Back