AOL letting companies pay to get around spam filters??

Rose Immortal

Reaction score
http://www2.dearaol.com/letter

Read this and see what you think...doesn't seem very smart to me!

What's worse is, they actually spam-filtered e-mails on AOL for awhile that had a link to this site. Until the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) publicized it, they acted like nothing was wrong with that...

Yet another reason I don't use AOL. But I don't want to see other ISP's start to play games like this.

Oh...and any cause that MoveOn.org and RightMarch.org actually manage to agree on has got to be worth a look! ;)

This is certainly not serving their customers' (paying AOL users) best interests or fulfilling the obligations a customer would be expecting from paying for such services. With this backlash or whatever you'd call it, obviously may call the contract between AOL and the customer possibly null and surely could raise much more issues which in turn steer customers away from AOL and seek other more reliable ISPs. This could very well be the beginnings of a giant's demise. :whistle:

I still can't believe how people can be still with AOL with better internet deals out there

AOL is just like a virus on the computer and I've been free of AOL for about 6 years now, thank god

Roadrunner said:
This is certainly not serving their customers' (paying AOL users) best interests or fulfilling the obligations a customer would be expecting from paying for such services. With this backlash or whatever you'd call it, obviously may call the contract between AOL and the customer possibly null and surely could raise much more issues which in turn steer customers away from AOL and seek other more reliable ISPs. This could very well be the beginnings of a giant's demise. :whistle:

Wow...I just read this again, and I'm really surprised you say the contract could actually be nullified. I guess that happens from taking some course of action that's SO much against the contract that it's a clear violation?

That is one of reason why I never liked AOL! They sucks! They believe in intensive promotion, hence they would have supported spam! Wanna proof? Every time you want to install AOL AIM, and unclick that you don't want AOL software to be installed anywhere in your PC, they STILL throw garbages all over PC! That is a BIG turn off!
Now that I am using Linux more often, thank god for Linux, no more spam, no more adware, no more garbage pop ups! It was so much better! Most of the spammer, adware, spyware, viruses were written in M$ lanugage, effectively making Linux immune to them. No linux can understand M$ programming codes. Linux don't have any registry to mess up with like M$ do have. Most adware, spyware, and viruses loves registry, including AOL too... that is place where they can sneak and mess your PC up without your knowledge and there is NO way you can lock up or set any authorization permission on registry... sad!

I'm not quite brave enough to use Linux, but I DID ditch AOL years ago, and using Mozilla instead of Internet Explorer seems to spare me from the worst stuff.

It turned out that some AOL employees had sold a bunch of e-mail addresses to a spam company, and that's why there was SO much spam at the time we left.

BTW, I like that--"M$" for Microsoft. I happen to like the name "Macrosuck" for them. Instead of sucking a little (micro), they suck a LOT (macro). ;)

Rose Immortal said:
BTW, I like that--"M$" for Microsoft. I happen to like the name "Macrosuck" for them. Instead of sucking a little (micro), they suck a LOT (macro). ;)

:whistle: Bluntly well put--I sure couldn't resist commenting how true the above comment you made could very well be true! ;)

Guess you could call it 'making my day'!! :lol:

You could try Linspire using "Linspire live" meaning you can run Linspire right off from CD! Don't need to install them in your PC! Cool, eh? Linspire is one of known Linux OS, I am downloading free SusE v10.1 and gonna find out what it got to offer. I intended to try to build my own server soon.
It DOES take time to learn the Linux ropes, I didn't learn overnight, but I am getting there.

I have always calling M$ for Micro$oft, however I like the way you call em! Makes alot sense! Licensing per PC even though muliple PC were owned by one person, what a greedy!!! Linspire is licensed as "Family" meaning you can install License on as many PC as you want that you owned.
I also called MAC as MacINtrash, even though my first experience with computer is though Apple, even programming Apple back then... after tasting PC, Im done with Apple.
Sorry MAC owner, no offense, just my personal preferance. nuthin wrong with MAC.

Rose Immortal said:
I'm not quite brave enough to use Linux, but I DID ditch AOL years ago, and using Mozilla instead of Internet Explorer seems to spare me from the worst stuff.

It turned out that some AOL employees had sold a bunch of e-mail addresses to a spam company, and that's why there was SO much spam at the time we left.

That's a cool idea, to have Linux on CD. I might end up doing that someday so I can try it without doing any damage to my computer. I don't have the technical smarts to do stuff like build my own server. Or restore my hard drive if I permanently reformat it or something. ;)

And thanks for the laughs, guys. ;)

Back