I'm going to get two Oticon Sumo digital aids while
waiting for the CI process. Does anyone have this
hearing aid? Can you tell me about it? Are you happy
with it? I'm just so excited for the change. Anything
to help me with the tennitus until the CI, if I'm still
qualified or candiate. Will know more about that on
June 16th. Hugs, Suzi

Suzi,

I have been trialing two Sumo DM HAs while going through the CI process. When I first started trying them I had headaches everyday for about two weeks and I would get dizzy sometimes. This got better.

At first I could only put the volume up to two but I kept slowly increasing the volume until I had the volume up to 3 on my better ear and 2.5 on my other ear. These HAs will give you the amplification but I found increasing the amplification caused more distortion. With the hearing aids at 3.5 I only got 36% of the words in sentences with my left ear and 18% on the right and 54% with both.

After a trial period of almost 4 months and qualifying for a CI (audiologically and surgically) I decided to keep one of the HAs and return the other. I will use the SUMO in my left ear along with the CI I will be getting this summer. I chose the SUMOS because of the fitting range and the fact that they are supposed to work good when using a CI in the opposite ear. If I had not qualifed for a CI and if the HA and been more annoying in the right ear than helpful I would have kept both.

I hope this helps. Good Luck

Suzi,

I have been trialing two Sumo DM HAs while going through the CI process. When I first started trying them I had headaches everyday for about two weeks and I would get dizzy sometimes. This got better.

At first I could only put the volume up to two but I kept slowly increasing the volume until I had the volume up to 3 on my better ear and 2.5 on my other ear. These HAs will give you the amplification but I found increasing the amplification caused more distortion. With the hearing aids at 3.5 I only got 36% of the words in sentences with my left ear and 18% on the right and 54% with both.

After a trial period of almost 4 months and qualifying for a CI (audiologically and surgically) I decided to keep one of the HAs and return the other. I will use the SUMO in my left ear along with the CI I will be getting this summer. I chose the SUMOS because of the fitting range and the fact that they are supposed to work good when using a CI in the opposite ear. If I had not qualifed for a CI and if the HA and been more annoying in the right ear than helpful I would have kept both.

I hope this helps. Good Luck

Thank you for taking the time to explain your personal experience. Yes, this is what I wanted to hear about the Oticon HA's. It's sounds as if we both are experiencing similiar loss and possible results. I am
at 110+ db. When I tried on the Oticon which was connected to the
audiologist's lap top computer where she controlled the settings, when she
spoke to me her voice sounded like a man's. I did comment on this because
I wanted to know and understand what I was hearing. After the test, when
I took off the Oticon, and she spoke again, I couldn't believe that I couldn't
hear not any sound from her when she said "Will see you soon, Goodbye" What a amazing drop in sounds. I didn't hear her voice at all with my own old HA. I am aware of the power behind the Oticon but I thought the sound was
distorted. I looked at her hand, she was wearing a wedding + diamond ring so no she is not gay talking like a man. Thanks again for sharing with me. I'm heading out to work for the weekend. Hugs, Suzi

Why get hearing aids if you're going to get cochlear implants?

How well can you hear with your hearing aids?

Thank you for taking the time to explain your personal experience. Yes, this is what I wanted to hear about the Oticon HA's. It's sounds as if we both are experiencing similiar loss and possible results. I am
at 110+ db. When I tried on the Oticon which was connected to the
audiologist's lap top computer where she controlled the settings, when she
spoke to me her voice sounded like a man's. I did comment on this because
I wanted to know and understand what I was hearing. After the test, when
I took off the Oticon, and she spoke again, I couldn't believe that I couldn't
hear not any sound from her when she said "Will see you soon, Goodbye" What a amazing drop in sounds. I didn't hear her voice at all with my own old HA. I am aware of the power behind the Oticon but I thought the sound was
distorted. I looked at her hand, she was wearing a wedding + diamond ring so no she is not gay talking like a man. Thanks again for sharing with me. I'm heading out to work for the weekend. Hugs, Suzi

Of course, you may get distorted sounds because you have highly damaged cochlea(s) since you're loss in profound area ( my loss is around 92 dbl) and none of hearing aids can 'restore' damaged cochleas.. so I think distortion is normal when considering your loss but sumo DM is a very good hearing aid and would offer the power you need.

I have such aids for both ears, and they can be overwhelming for me if worn too long or in a noisy environment. VEry powerful. I can hear when people speak, but can't understand speech itself.. I can hear air, water, doors knocked, locks clicking, etc. I get very disoriented and dizzy, just only downside to those things. I wont drive when I wear my Sumo DMs.. or when babysitting my niece or nephew! It was great that the audiologist programmed an OFF switch for the third option..lol got tired of flipping open the batteries just to turn off the HAs.

I'm not considering CIs and have no interest in getting one implanted at all, but congrats on the upcoming op.

Why get hearing aids if you're going to get cochlear implants?

How well can you hear with your hearing aids?

Right now I'm barely hearing anything with my 8 year old left HA. I haven't worn a HA in my right ear since a young child. In my hearing test it shows that both ears are at 110+ so I plan to use both to enable me. I miss hearing sounds especially music.

I do need a digital aid for the opposite of the CI. I still have one more appointment to meet with the surgeon regarding CI. What if I'm not qualified for CI? Then I will have the two aids. If I do get the CI, then I will have a backup digital aid for the opposite ear. I think the back up is very important especially that I live in Florida state where it's so hot and damp / humid. Sweating can damage the aids.

Suzi,

How long of trial period do you have for the HAs? You might be able to get the trial period extended. It really depends upon who you get the HAs from and it never hurts to ask. I was very lucky I was able to return an FM system and one of the HAs because I would have had over $5800 worth of technology sitting in a drawer. I felt sure I was not going to qualify and I wanted see if more conventional technology would help so I tried the HAS and FM system before being evaluated for a CI. BTW, I found that with the FM system I just ended up turning the right HA off or yanking it out because there was too much distortion also in less than a month one of the receivers stopped working.

If the surgeon thinks you are qualified and you decide to get a CI you could return the HA for the ear that would be implanted. If you really want to spend $2800 for a spare that's ok too but remember you should be able to get a loaner if the HA need repair.

I have the sumo in my right ear. I will say, I remember it being programmed and it actually took the audiologist about an hour and a half to get it to a point where I could handle the sounds. It was first set for volume 2, and its now at 3. I've had the hearing aid for about 3 years now, it's a fairly good HA after you get used to it.
I'm not entirely sure if we have the same hearing loss, I cannot remember for the life of me what my loss is in db, all I rememeber, is I have profound hearing loss. Mainly because I've had profound hearing loss for 5-6 years now.
The sumo, because it's digital, will give a strange sound to many things. It took me a month to get used to my mom's voice, and I could hear things I didn't hear before, like the car signal. Things will sound strange, and disorted, but once your ears get used to hearing it, and can place that sound to what it is, it'll sound more "normal".
Hope that helped!
-Krista

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me. I'm so looking forward to the new digital aids on Wed. I need a change! The ringing in my left ear is so intense and annoying. I think just by having two HA at one time will be overwhelming but maybe not? Again, thanks for your time and for sharing with me. Hugs, Suzi

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me. I'm so looking forward to the new digital aids on Wed. I need a change! The ringing in my left ear is so intense and annoying. I think just by having two HA at one time will be overwhelming but maybe not? Again, thanks for your time and for sharing with me. Hugs, Suzi

Good luck :) I had one hearing aid before and I switched to wear two digital aids in August of last year. Trust me you will hear much better with two hearing aids :thumb: ,however, your brain could need some time to adjust bilateral hearing. It took me about seven months to get used to bilateral hearing aid use :fingersx:

Oticon Sumo

I have an Oticon Sumo in my left ear. I got it five years ago, following a further drop in my hearing. I had a very difficult time talking on a phone with my previous hearing aid but with the Sumo I was able to talk on a cell phone. Pretty amazing considering I had just gone through further hearing loss. I routinely jacked up the volume all the way when playing guitar to get the most out of sounds.
You have to be careful with this hearing aid though, because it is so powerful. I went to a concert at one point and lost more of my hearing because I was wearing it. As far as distortion, that's an inner ear thing. Before I lost more of my hearing last year, I could turn it all the way up and still have clarity. I can no longer do that. I'm also in the 110 db range but my left ear has always been receptive to sound. A Sumo would never have had any effect in my right ear.

I have an Oticon Sumo in my left ear. I got it five years ago, following a further drop in my hearing. I had a very difficult time talking on a phone with my previous hearing aid but with the Sumo I was able to talk on a cell phone. Pretty amazing considering I had just gone through further hearing loss. I routinely jacked up the volume all the way when playing guitar to get the most out of sounds.
You have to be careful with this hearing aid though, because it is so powerful. I went to a concert at one point and lost more of my hearing because I was wearing it. As far as distortion, that's an inner ear thing. Before I lost more of my hearing last year, I could turn it all the way up and still have clarity. I can no longer do that. I'm also in the 110 db range but my left ear has always been receptive to sound. A Sumo would never have had any effect in my right ear.

I think you're talking about Sumo XP programmable analog . The Sumo mentioned in this thread is the digital Sumo DM . Digitals can be adjusted to not amplify sounds to 'dangerous' levels.

FINALLY got my two digital HA's! I can not believe for the life of me the sounds that I am hearing or was missing! It's surreal! Wow! In the car driving home, I heard the blinking turn signal which I must say I have not heard in so many years. This is just the beginning. From there on, it's everything - even noisy refrigerators / freezers at my restaurant. And I thought everyone was making fun of me asking me to constant repeat myself! Yesterday I listened to old music CD's here on my XP windows media player but Im not happy with that. It didn't sound high quality and noisy background - the fan? I couldn't adjust the sounds.
These HA's are wonderful! Voices are not clear to me but loud. I have the HA set on the lowest setting. Thought I would share with you all. Have a good weekend! Suzi

Back