anyone remembered Kristen Henson??

i must remind, half of her signs was erroneous!, it was WRONG, it wasnt well researched...and lots of ASL users have said this, google it, hell google for the you-tube...
so it wasnt even right to publish a language-topic when its all wrong...it was brazen and she never asked for verification -that's her fault

Not everyone want or use sign language but it is certainly available for anyone who want to use it. It is not exclusive to deaf people only. No one "owns" sign language in the effort to exclude others from using it. Again, I still see a disconnect in using that analogy of yours. Crass or funny as it may be to some people but Kristen has every right to write and publish a book on smutty sign language.

The ghetto language is not exclusive to a select few people/group, anyone can join in but there will be prices to pay whether it comes from erroneous use or used in a disrespecting fashion or any such that can provoke confrontations. Same thing goes for Sign Language, do it the right way and get the due respect or don't do it at all. Less drama that way. Or that would be implying that you're ok with Chelsea Handler mocking our ASL by having a fake interpreter because everyone has a right to Sign language, no matter how badly they use it or how much it affronted the deaf community at large.

However, that being said, not everyone can see a connection in things within life so if you cannot see the why behind Grummer and my posts, then there really is nothing we can do for you. You will be left to your own device in figuring out how to connect back towards the reasons we have stated. Best of luck.

It's not "making fun" of the language. There are "dirty little books" in Italian, English, Chinese, Greek, French, German, and Spanish which include hand gestures and their meanings, the profanity, slang, etc....and they're not written by native speakers either. No one owns a language nor do they have the right to stop others from learning it and doing what they want with it. You shouldn't personalize it.....

Laura

It's easy for you to say that if you don't care any language gets bastardized.

What's the point in benefiting off of ASL if it's not even your native language to begin with? Not only that, native signers are beyond loyal to their language, whichever dialect it may be and if a hearing person wants to approach them and learn any sign, be it illicit or educational, we have no problem obliging since we have no problem sharing the beauty of our language. We don't mind "schooling" our hearing peers on our language, and to approach someone who has publicly stated that she's not an expert signer...? It just fails all logic to me, to be honest.

But, I suppose you don't give a shit about it...

The ghetto language is not exclusive to a select few people/group, anyone can join in but there will be prices to pay whether it comes from erroneous use or used in a disrespecting fashion or any such that can provoke confrontations. Same thing goes for Sign Language, do it the right way and get the due respect or don't do it at all. Less drama that way. Or that would be implying that you're ok with Chelsea Handler mocking our ASL by having a fake interpreter because everyone has a right to Sign language, no matter how badly they use it or how much it affronted the deaf community at large.

However, that being said, not everyone can see a connection in things within life so if you cannot see the why behind Grummer and my posts, then there really is nothing we can do for you. You will be left to your own device in figuring out how to connect back towards the reasons we have stated. Best of luck.

Quite different when you have a person who is obviously mocking sign language itself with all the hand waving, grunting and indecipherable gesturing with absolutely no effort in mimicking even the correct sign. I don't see it like that in Kristen's book (or from what I could tell from the available drawings). There are actual signs seen in the drawings. Quite a different take there. Again, the disconnect with that one.

What's the point in benefiting off of ASL if it's not even your native language to begin with? Not only that, native signers are beyond loyal to their language, whichever dialect it may be and if a hearing person wants to approach them and learn any sign, be it illicit or educational, we have no problem obliging since we have no problem sharing the beauty of our language. We don't mind "schooling" our hearing peers on our language, and to approach someone who has publicly stated that she's not an expert signer...? It just fails all logic to me, to be honest.

How come no one ever wrote a book on smutty signs using the "correct" signs in the first place? I suppose if a deaf person did write a book on smutty signs I'm sure a book like that will upset some people on how it "degraded" sign language.

Last edited:
How come no one ever wrote a book on smutty signs using the "correct" signs in the first place? I suppose if a deaf person did write a book on smutty signs I'm sure a book like that will upset some people on "degrading" sign language.

I suppose maybe because we don't stoop that low

Not disconnected at all. Like dereksbicycles said above me, that person is taking advantage of the fact that a lot of Hearing people do not know the cultural aspects of how things are being said, thus can cause a potential confrontation with other Deaf people out there that think it was rather inappropriate of the hearing person to say or do such thing because a book told them they could say it without any Deaf cultural references.

People glance through the pages of most language books, and they don't always know the cultural aspects of Italian or Spanish as spoken in Argentina. Not knowing this can cause some embarassing moments or rub a person the wrong way....but who cares? When a person takes the time to read a book about a given language, common sense says they should learn about the cultural norms to fully understand and appreciate the object of their focus. There's nothing unique or special about ASL and deaf culture, like any culture, it's tied with the language. If people don't know that - that's their problem and they'll learn it eventually....perhaps the hard way. Or maybe the won't. Maybe they're just interested in the language and not the people. So again, who cares? Not everyone that studies does so for a higher cause, and if they can make a buck off of what they've learned and just want to have fun with it, power to them.

What I don't give a s*** about is your attitude. Who are you the deaf police? Are you the morality cop? Nobody has a right to say "Hey, put that book down. You're not Greek! Who the f** do you think you are!!" Gee....a customer? A student? A writer? People write books for any number of reasons whether it's to get rich, to educate or to entertain. Jersey Shore tries to "talk Italian" by through around a lot of racist terms and people watching the show actually think that's how Italians talk - and behave. And if that's what they think, then they're as dumb as the people on the reality show so "screw 'em."

Like or not, languages are bastardized all the time - every single language goes through this...which is why the French are actually trying to prevent new, made up, words from entering their language..and as last I read, England was trying to do the same. Take English, we have a standard language - some rap singer says something stupid and suddenly it's a word...and then it's in a dictionary a year later. Is it really English now?

It's not your job to "school your hearing peers" - be honest, you hate us, so you think you're doing someone a favor? You're narrow minded, you label people and you insult anyone that doesn't agree with you. Some favor....

If this person wants to write a book about ASL and it got published, good for her. I'm sure there's an address in that book somewhere so you can write to her and tell her what you think. And I hope she answers you in the same lovely tone you used with me and all your "hearing peers....."

What I don't give a s*** about is your attitude. Who are you the deaf police? Are you the morality cop? Nobody has a right to say "Hey, put that book down. You're not Greek! Who the f** do you think you are!!" Gee....a customer? A student? A writer? People write books for any number of reasons whether it's to get rich, to educate or to entertain. Jersey Shore tries to "talk Italian" by through around a lot of racist terms and people watching the show actually think that's how Italians talk - and behave. And if that's what they think, then they're as dumb as the people on the reality show so "screw 'em."

Like or not, languages are bastardized all the time - every single language goes through this...which is why the French are actually trying to prevent new, made up, words from entering their language..and as last I read, England was trying to do the same. Take English, we have a standard language - some rap singer says something stupid and suddenly it's a word...and then it's in a dictionary a year later. Is it really English now?

It's not your job to "school your hearing peers" - be honest, you hate us, so you think you're doing someone a favor? You're narrow minded, you label people and you insult anyone that doesn't agree with you. Some favor....

If this person wants to write a book about ASL and it got published, good for her. I'm sure there's an address in that book somewhere so you can write to her and tell her what you think. And I hope she answers you in the same lovely tone you used with me and all your "hearing peers....."

you mad, bro?

is there anything wrong with somebody speaking out about it?

you mad, bro?

is there anything wrong with somebody speaking out about it?

You're black, bro? I never knew.....Something wrong with a hearing person writing a book about ASL....it's that approval thing isn't it? She didn't clear it with you either?

You're black, bro? I never knew.....Something wrong with a hearing person writing a book about ASL....it's that approval thing isn't it? She didn't clear it with you either?

so is there anything wrong with a person disagreeing with it?

so is there anything wrong with a person disagreeing with it?

Apparently, anyone that doesn't agree with you is wrong in your book. So much for that celebrate diversity garbage.....

Apparently, anyone that doesn't agree with you is wrong in your book. So much for that celebrate diversity garbage.....

diversity is where people agree or disagree. and you're getting all hot and angry over people who are disagreeing.

oh you... what a prime example of celebrate diversity garbage...

diversity is where people agree or disagree. and you're getting all hot and angry over people who are disagreeing.

oh you... what a prime example of celebrate diversity garbage...

You need to get a mirror Jiro. I'll bet you didn't even bother to read the post you took the time to quote. So much for reading both sides....nothing new...

You need to get a mirror Jiro. I'll bet you didn't even bother to read the post you took the time to quote. So much for reading both sides....nothing new...

again... nothing wrong with people disagreeing... right?

can you answer that question without quibbling around? you lil' snake :lol:

again... nothing wrong with people disagreeing... right?

can you answer that question without quibbling around? you lil' snake :lol:

For most people no, but apparently it's not the case with you.

i must remind, half of her signs was erroneous!, it was WRONG, it wasnt well researched...and lots of ASL users have said this, google it, hell google for the you-tube...
so it wasnt even right to publish a language-topic when its all wrong...it was brazen and she never asked for verification -that's her fault

Half of her signs? You mean you read her book already and did a count?

Half of her signs? You mean you read her book already and did a count?

no, it is already out there, last years complaints already in blogs and shit...i dont know whereand i arent gonna bother digging...i got more important things to do...this link was floating around in FB...so i chucked it in here...

its figure of speech, well, on the other hand you can put this way its about the right estimation given that it is highly likely HALF of it isn't done right!...I'm not kidding there are heaps of hearies who thinks they know signs and they don't, I've met those kinds before, well if not regularly but time to time, and it's quite common

but don't hold it against me (about the book), but as far as I am concerned I'm speaking from experience, ASK ANY DEAFIES who's seen the book's contents I'm pretty sure they'd say otherwise

Back