anyone remembered Kristen Henson??

Grummer

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1250026210/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=tsm_1_fb_lk]Super Smutty Sign Language:Amazon:Books[/ame]

she's finally did the nasty stunt...now I wonder if theres other blogs or articles about this...it was news last year anyone remember this?

its dissappointing that a hearie decides to make fun of our sign and make money of it...how crude!

So what? No worry here. SHe has every right to publish a book. No one can claim to own sign language. FRankly, not a big deal.

its dissappointing that a hearie decides to make fun of our sign and make money of it...how crude!

It's not "making fun" of the language. There are "dirty little books" in Italian, English, Chinese, Greek, French, German, and Spanish which include hand gestures and their meanings, the profanity, slang, etc....and they're not written by native speakers either. No one owns a language nor do they have the right to stop others from learning it and doing what they want with it. You shouldn't personalize it.....

Laura

It's not "making fun" of the language. There are "dirty little books" in Italian, English, Chinese, Greek, French, German, and Spanish which include hand gestures and their meanings, the profanity, slang, etc....and they're not written by native speakers either. No one owns a language nor do they have the right to stop others from learning it and doing what they want with it. You shouldn't personalize it.....

Laura

Eloquently said.

Hey, I don't claim to own the right to "turbo", but I can show as many people how to get maximum power with turbocharged engine. Life goes on. I may not be an expert, but many people would love to have me show them the power of turbo.

Disclaimer: I no longer have a turbo. I used to have one back in high school. It was a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD turbo.

She might not own the language but to be a devil's advocate here, it would be like a white boy writing a book about the African American city/ghetto language culture including slang words, etc that is widely known that only the black folks can say to each other (or so they say). Do you really think the African American community would be in full appreciation of such attempt?

To some people, this might cross the line. *shrugs*

its not That eloquent

No, but it is true. You don't own a language and everyone is free to learn, even if you prefer that they didn't. I find many of the posts on this forum to be more vulgar than anything I've read in a "dirty language" book. But people will do what they want so you live with it.

Remember that a lot of people who are trying to learn ASL may NOT be aware of Deaf Culture. Those that never took ASL classes or are thinking of taking one for general education credit will have no idea Deaf Culture exists. Therefore, the author can take advantage of them. Those that are close to deaf people or Deaf Culture will do no such thing.

She might not own the language but to be a devil's advocate here, it would be like a white boy writing a book about the African American city/ghetto language culture including slang words, etc that is widely known that only the black folks can say to each other (or so they say). Do you really think the African American community would be in full appreciation of such attempt?

To some people, this might cross the line. *shrugs*
That is a disconnected analogy there. Doesnt make much sense when people start using skin color or race analogies. Doesn't jive much. Pun intended.

That is a disconnected analogy there. Doesnt make much sense when people start using skin color or race analogies. Doesn't jive much. Pun intended.

Not disconnected at all. Like dereksbicycles said above me, that person is taking advantage of the fact that a lot of Hearing people do not know the cultural aspects of how things are being said, thus can cause a potential confrontation with other Deaf people out there that think it was rather inappropriate of the hearing person to say or do such thing because a book told them they could say it without any Deaf cultural references.

That's the same issues going on with how things are done in the Ghetto, do you see any white folks reading a book on how to speak ghetto speak and get away with it because a book says so? Sure it's a different situation but same problem so there is no disconnected analogy. It's a reflection of disconnection between what the book says regarding a native language and what you can actually do or don't do in an actual situation that the book will not cover.

That author certainly is taking advantage of gullible folks, thus getting away with it while there are Deaf people that objects and rather it be handled better or more "eloquently" to avoid such hassle in the future.

What's my experience? I've lived in the ghetto in the past, I've experienced the do and don't of many things regarding the cultural aspects of language.

Not disconnected at all. Like dereksbicycles said above me, that person is taking advantage of the fact that a lot of Hearing people do not know the cultural aspects of how things are being said, thus can cause a potential confrontation with other Deaf people out there that think it was rather inappropriate of the hearing person to say or do such thing because a book told them they could say it without any Deaf cultural references.

That's the same issues going on with how things are done in the Ghetto, do you see any white folks reading a book on how to speak ghetto speak and get away with it because a book says so? Sure it's a different situation but same problem so there is no disconnected analogy. It's a reflection of disconnection between what the book says regarding a native language and what you can actually do or don't do in an actual situation that the book will not cover.

That author certainly is taking advantage of gullible folks, thus getting away with it while there are Deaf people that objects and rather it be handled better or more "eloquently" to avoid such hassle in the future.

What's my experience? I've lived in the ghetto in the past, I've experienced the do and don't of many things regarding the cultural aspects of language.

It is a disconnect because sign language is for everyone while "ghetto speak" is not but specific to a particular group.

Not about race. It is about cultural values. Using that word, "jive"...funny.

No, but it is true. You don't own a language and everyone is free to learn, even if you prefer that they didn't. I find many of the posts on this forum to be more vulgar than anything I've read in a "dirty language" book. But people will do what they want so you live with it.

i know what you are saying, but no, it is not acceptable she clearly disrepects deaf culture. it's not criminal but its certainly not ethical

It is a disconnect because sign language is for everyone while "ghetto speak" is not but specific to a particular group.

If sign language was for everyone (outside of gesturing which is not a language), then the world would have used the entity of it all in a fully fleshed out language for thousands of years thus registering the spoken language as never the sole language but since that is not the case (as well as being mutually exclusive for thousands of years) but is rather specific for a particular group, my point is still valid while yours provided excellent evidences of disconnection within your stance.

Hey, I don't claim to own the right to "turbo", but I can show as many people how to get maximum power with turbocharged engine. Life goes on. I may not be an expert, but many people would love to have me show them the power of turbo.

Disclaimer: I no longer have a turbo. I used to have one back in high school. It was a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD turbo.

hurry up and buy a maserati biturbo cheap and nasty...just try get the ones well looked after... its fast like a ferrari but cheap but um if engine blows you'd need another mortgage to pay to fix it...

If sign language was for everyone (outside of gesturing which is not a language), then the world would have used the entity of it all in a fully fleshed out language for thousands of years thus registering the spoken language as never the sole language but since that is not the case (as well as being mutually exclusive for thousands of years) but is rather specific for a particular group, my point is still valid while yours provided excellent evidences of disconnection within your stance.

Not everyone want or use sign language but it is certainly available for anyone who want to use it. It is not exclusive to deaf people only. No one "owns" sign language in the effort to exclude others from using it. Again, I still see a disconnect in using that analogy of yours. Crass or funny as it may be to some people but Kristen has every right to write and publish a book on smutty sign language.

Back