Anyone own a Cairn Terrier?

November Gypsy

Reaction score
My mother-in-law has been talking about wanting to get a Cairn Terrier. I've read up on them, but can't decide whether they'd be a good dog for her or not. Obviously, she can get it if she chooses too...but she told me to find out about what they are like first. She likes the look of them but that's all she knows about them. She's about 70, and because of her health, restricted in her ability to walk far. She's got a sharp mind and is very loving and is very able to give lots of care and attention, aside from exercise. My father-in-law is very capable of taking a dog on good walks and such, and they have a good sized house and yard. Can anyone tell me if this would or would not be a good match? Thanks so much!

From what I know, The breed, Cairn Terrier is an excellent companion for seniors.

Thanks. I really want to help them find a good dog. They are great people and their dog died fairly recently...but they've always had a dog or two of one kind and another and it's just hard for them to not have one now.

for non-active seniors - just get a dog at adult age with mellow personality. just keep in mind that "pushy" young dog can cause seniors to fall down (meaning.. fractured hip, dislocated shoulder, etc.)

Remember Toto in the Wizard of Oz movie? I think that was a Cairn terrier.

for non-active seniors - just get a dog at adult age with mellow personality. just keep in mind that "pushy" young dog can cause seniors to fall down (meaning.. fractured hip, dislocated shoulder, etc.)

This is true. My father in law is pretty active for 70 years. But my mother in law...well, let's say she just isn't...but I love her to peices the way she is. She's really hoping for a Cairn....though I don't think she'll mind an adult.

This is true. My father in law is pretty active for 70 years. But my mother in law...well, let's say she just isn't...but I love her to peices the way she is. She's really hoping for a Cairn....though I don't think she'll mind an adult.

yep. oh btw - jumpy dog is not recommended either because I know old people's skin is pretty sensitive and delicate. its claw (even not that sharp) can easily rip the skin out of the arm/leg. It happened to my friend's senior aunt. YIKE!

This is a good point. But are Cairns 'jumpy' dogs?

any dogs can be jumpy, regardless of breed and size. I was just referring to different personality in each Cairns. Just choose one with mellow personality. It's a perfect fit for both your active father-in-law and non-active mother-in-law.

oh btw - when I said "ripped the skin out of leg/arm"... i don't mean like a tiger clawing the meat out of the bone. I meant that a very thin layer of skin (epidermis) on the surface is pretty delicate for seniors.

All terriers are bouncy and jumpy.

"Toto, the Cairn Terrier in The Wizard of Oz, looks exactly like what most people picture when they hear the word "terrier."

This sturdy little dog is everything a terrier was designed to be: game and hardy, up on his toes, confident, plucky, spirited.

The Cairn Terrier loves to play and needs his daily walks, but is adaptable to any home in which he can be a full participant and busybody and where his bold terrier traits are kept under control.

Adult Cairn Terriers may be friendly or reserved with strangers, but are always alert and quick to announce guests.

He can be scrappy and bossy with other pets, but will co-exist with them more readily than some other terriers. However, strange animals may be a different story, as the Cairn Terrier was bred to hunt and will chase anything that moves.

He is inquisitive, so a leash or fenced yard is essential at all times.

Assertive but cheerful, with typical terrier stubbornness, he must be shown that you are in charge. He does respond well to consistent discipline and to obedience training that focuses on treats and praise.

Cairn Terriers can be possessive of their food and toys. Being respectable terriers, they are enthusiastic diggers and barkers."

History
The Cairn Terrier was developed in Scotland to hunt fox, otter, and weasel. He takes his name from the piles of rocks (cairns) where his prey took refuge.

Size
10-11 inches and 13-16 lbs

Cairn Terriers: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em?

any dogs can be jumpy, regardless of breed and size. I was just referring to different personality in each Cairns. Just choose one with mellow personality. It's a perfect fit for both your active father-in-law and non-active mother-in-law.

oh btw - when I said "ripped the skin out of leg/arm"... i don't mean like a tiger clawing the meat out of the bone. I meant that a very thin layer of skin (epidermis) on the surface is pretty delicate for seniors.

:lol: Oh. I was imagining blood everywhere, I assure you. No, seriously, thanks for pointing that out to me...I tend not to think of little details like that. Mellow, adult Cairn. Got it. I really hope it'll make 'em happy!

:lol: Oh. I was imagining blood everywhere, I assure you. No, seriously, thanks for pointing that out to me...I tend not to think of little details like that.
when I read back, I realized that I misspoke :laugh2: I just had to clarify it. :)

Mellow, adult Cairn. Got it. I really hope it'll make 'em happy!
yep. a perfect combo for your in-laws IMO. it's my type too.

Yeah, that's what most dogs have a sensitive of smell. You might wanna to quit smoking and stay your health much longer than you expected - perhaps to live 200 years old and you still have to pay your taxes for a long time. Ugh! Just teasing.

Last edited:
How about a carin from the breeder centre they may have retired stud/bitch that no longer breeds, have it netured, they make ideal pets.

My friend had one for 15 years, she was called Pepper. Very sweet little dog and loved mousing.

Back